This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by big bad bri »

It was good seeing Pa slobb again in this weeks bananaman strip,as i am currently reading through the complete run of nutty (up to iss 146 at the mo)though i doubt whether any of the young readers know who he is.does anyone know where these strips are reprinted from,i assume it is just after nutty merged with dandy & i have prob got those issues but just aint got around to reading them yet.
I was very annoyed yesterday when i went to the shop with £2 expecting the price to go back to normal only to find it cost £2.50 again.can any subscribers let us know when the price has gone up when they recieve their copies everytime it does go up. :)

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

big bad bri wrote:does anyone know where these strips are reprinted from,i assume it is just after nutty merged with dandy & i have prob got those issues but just aint got around to reading them yet.
I believe it was after the Nutty merged with the Dandy - The Snobbs and the Slobbs did survive the merge (Meaning John managed to get two stories in the Dandy!) - I don't think it would have been Nutty era as I'm pretty sure the sizing would be wrong (the title box went down the side right?) plus it began on the front in the issues I have... :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's right, Bananaman was Nutty's cover star for all but the first few months of it's run, and the strip was on the front and center pages (it was originally the back page strip - Cuddles took over that spot, became Hoot's cover star when it replaced Nutty in 1985, then joined the Dandy and the Dimples strip a year later). This week's Bananaman strip is almost certainly 1985-86 vintage, while Nutty was still on the Dandy masthead.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed yesterday that my local Tesco (Surrey Quays, London) has moved the Beano and Dandy to the top shelf of the comics section and has a large Beano character backing board behind them - obviously supplied by DC Thomson. Does any other member have this in their local supermarket?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Is this Beano character backing board the one with the kid's zone branding because if it was It was briefly talked about in the posts at the bottom of the last page (page 13) of this thread.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes sorry but I don't follow this thread much as I don't buy the modern day Beano. Pretty sure the Bash Street Kids featured on the backing board picture. I'd take a picture but my mobile phone isn't connected to my pc and don't really want to fiddle about setting it up.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:Is this Beano character backing board the one with the kid's zone branding because if it was It was briefly talked about in the posts at the bottom of the last page (page 13) of this thread.
I think so.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Theres a gem of a Jim Petrie Minnie to see love the funny cats...But of course we want new stuff not just reprints...

also like Ball Boy kicking the O in Beano.. 8)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Saw that Kids Zone backing board in Tesco a couple of days ago. The two items described are definitely one and the same. Looks like everything except the Dennis & Gnasher stock art was drawn by Nigel Parkinson.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Super School appears in this weeks Beano, I'm guessing this is another one off. :(

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

A point of interest in this week's issue is the return of Gnasher's Bit(e), drawn Barrie Appleby. After its return last week, Super School is absent, as is, somewhat more surprisingly, The Germs.

This week's Bash Street Kids strip looks like a reprint to me - for one thing, the title was drawn for the story whereas the title banner in new strips is now generic, but also I seem to recall the nuances of the story appearing before. However the good thing is that Minnie the Minx and The Numskulls are new again (both were reprints in the previous issue).
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I am disappointed that retro beano hasnt appeared in a while. After reading the last 4 issues of the Beano today my belief that Belle's magic mobile would be a permanent addition has been lost but it seems the comic is actively asking readers for their own strips. I could imagine this not ending well but I have hope and this is a feature which as a young boy i often dreamed of implementing if I was Beano editor.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm wondering whether Bananaman has been stitched together from multiple strips - he falls asleep half way through on a sun lounger and wakes up in his own bed.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:I'm wondering whether Bananaman has been stitched together from multiple strips - he falls asleep half way through on a sun lounger and wakes up in his own bed.
As Lew pointed out on Monday in the Fanzines thread, the progression of story that happens between panels (which readers instantly work out for themselves) is very sophisticated. So much so that some kids don't get it. This would simply appear to be one of the more sophisticated progressions. :D :lol:

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

AndyB wrote:I'm wondering whether Bananaman has been stitched together from multiple strips - he falls asleep half way through on a sun lounger and wakes up in his own bed.
That does seem a bit strange but the rest of the story fits together well after that, maybe Bananaman flies in his sleep. :P