BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

Post by Old Forum Fella »

People should stop knocking The Dandy so much, and have a good hard look at The Beano. If ever there's a comic in need of a decent makeover, the Beano is it. The comic is seriously lacking in new ideas. Admittedly it has classic strips which have been running for years very successfully, but where is the imagination for NEW strips? It smacks of desperation that the comic contains two spin-offs from Dennis ('Gnasher and Gnipper' and 'Bea', his bad sister), almost just to make the numbers up. The Beano also has a all-too-heavy reliance on 'bad child' or 'crafty child' characters. We have Ivy the Terrible, Minnie the Minx and Bea representing the girls and Dennis the Menace and Rodger the Dodger and Robbie the Rebel for the boys. So how does the Beano editor address this in his search for 'Comic Idol' 2006? Well, he suggests 'Scammin' Sam', a new 'naughty boy' character with spikey hair and a dog sidekick. Please!!! Let's have some originality here!!! At least you can't accuse the Dandy of resting on its laurels.

Originally posted by Wenker Watson on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

It's not really the fault of DCT. Thing is, The Beano responds to what its readers like. Naughty kid characters always come top in polls. I too wish kids wanted more variety like generations before did, but apparently their focus is very narrow.

It seems readers like situations they can relate to (kids, school, modern environment) rather than escapism or aspirational characters.

One big new idea could change things though. Look at tv: Doctor Who, an escapist series, became the biggest thing of 2005. Because the revival cleverly combined things kids could relate to with the fantastical elements. Something similar in tone might work in comics if it was tried. (No, I don't mean a Doctor Who knock off, but something with that combination).

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

I think Mia is my winner....another good story.....fame is a good concept for different ideas a variation to the naughty kid.....

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

Here, here. I agree totally. I hate Gnasher and Gnipper and Bea. We need more varied strips. I would not mind if Minnie went to be honest. I hope Nicky Nutjob wins, great strip and a different type of artistry. GREAT. But I have a bad feeling that Sam's gonna win. ;(

Originally posted by Ben B-S on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

Wasn't one of your earlier comments: I hope Sam wins, he looks cool! ?

Originally posted by EBay Whizzer on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

Its true The beano should try more to cahnge things up but there comic is popular and a lot of people would disagree with you wenker. there keeping to what is a winning formula. to say minnie should go though is like getting rid of dennis, if you did that you would cause an uproar just like when Dan leftthe dandy. I like the art on Scammin sam though even if the idea is old. I think kids buy comics to have a laugh so is it a bad thing to stick with what they know works. I would like to see more modern ideas too but that aint the beano so dont buy it if you dont like, its a comic that has stayed true to its majority of readers who I think you will find love minnie the minx and the gang.

Originally posted by Norbert on the old forum on 18/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

BEANO'S COMIC IDOL

(Reply to EBay Whizzer) Yes it was, but I changed my mind when reading it and seeing he was yet another Dennis impersonator. (P.S It's eBay not EBay (Not trying to be picky):)

Originally posted by Ben B-S on the old forum on 18/1/2006