New look Beano Cover

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

New look Beano Cover

Post by Gilly »

It seems another one of Mike's changes to the Beano is going to take place tomorrow. http://www.beano.com/beano-comic/issue-3620

I must admit I think this is an improvement. The new cover kind of reminds me of the 90's Beano but in a new and modern way. :D

WizzKid97

Re: New look Beano Cover

Post by WizzKid97 »

Guys - have any of you realised why they might have revamped the cover?

The Roger reprints - they keep showing Beano's from the 1980's, to stop confusion from the younger, oblivious readers - they've changed the cover to like the ones from the Roger the Dodger Nixon reprints.

Certainly feels "retro" - which most certainly is a good thing!

It's a lovely front cover - full of old-fashioned fun!

Now just scrap the 'This Week in Beanotown' and replace the picture of Dennis and Gnasher with page 1 of the comic strip! Bob's yer uncle! :D
Last edited by WizzKid97 on 24 Jan 2012, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Hey, that I like! The price is placed where it used to be from 1971 to 1998 (which is when they ditched the blue stripe and arched the logo). The date and issue number are in the blue stripe. Every Wednesday has been placed at the top because the website address (also added in 1998, it launched to coincide with Bea's birth and the accompanying redesign of the comic) is now in the blue stripe. It harks back to the past, while also looking modern, and they've kept the O gag idea from the 1998-2012 design. Now all they need to do is put the Dennis and Gnasher logo into a yellow circle, and get rid of the This week in Beanotown panel - the empty space above the logo, where it says Jumping With Jokes, is where they traditionally mentioned other characters. Obviously they want to mention a certain blue superhero, so they could put "Starring Bananaman" at the top or use him for the O gag.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I cant say im a fan of this new design too much unused white space i'd like to see a big image on the front with as little clutter as possible although the price and issue number amongst other things is necessary clutter. At least they don't obscure the logo and stuff dont obscure the front cover picture now.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

WizzKid97 wrote:Guys - have any of you realised why they might have revamped the cover?

The Roger reprints - they keep showing Beano's from the 1980's, to stop confusion from the younger, oblivious readers - they've changed the cover to like the ones from the Roger the Dodger Nixon reprints.
Interesting theory and with the Roger the Dodger 80s reprints not going anywhere anytime soon that could be a possibility.
Digifiend wrote:Obviously they want to mention a certain blue superhero, so they could put "Starring Bananaman" at the top or use him for the O gag.
Or they could put him at the place of the this week in Beanotown panel and keep the O gag open to all characters. Either way works for me.
Tin Can Tommy wrote:I cant say im a fan of this new design too much unused white space i'd like to see a big image on the front with as little clutter as possible although the price and issue number amongst other things is necessary clutter.
I guess it can't be to everyone's taste, particularly if you are used to the post 1998 style cover. I'm just a fan because it reminds me of the cover style when I was a kid.

SID

Post by SID »

Well it stood out for me and for a minute thought it was a one-off special.

I love it and may be tempted in buying a copy.

(Now if The Dandy did something similar? ;)....)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

A definite improvement! It actually looks like the Beano I grew up with, again!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Subscribers will know at the weekend if it's a one-off!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Euan Kerr resigned in the summer of 2006, and the abortive attempt at redesigning the logo first appeared in April 2007. The duration between those two events (about ten months) looks suspiciously similar to the time elapsed since Digby's resignation in March 2011... and I bet it'll be just as successful.

The question is: will it be randomly alternated with the old design for six months? And, considering the horror that replaced the previous attempt, which was scrapped early last year: what's in store for when the inevitable revamp really gets under way?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

NP

Post by NP »

swirlythingy wrote:Euan Kerr resigned ... Digby's resignation
Please get your terminology correct. Neither men 'resigned', they retired. There is a very big difference.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

NP wrote:
swirlythingy wrote:Euan Kerr resigned ... Digby's resignation
Please get your terminology correct. Neither men 'resigned', they retired. There is a very big difference.
So Kerr edited BeanoMAX for a further three years in his 'retirement'?

Look on the bright side... at least I didn't say he was sacked!
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

We don't know if it's a one-off, and won't know until tomorrow at the very earliest for subscribers. Don't read anything into ten month periods, everything else Mike has done has moved pretty quickly.

NP

Post by NP »

swirlythingy wrote:So Kerr edited BeanoMAX for a further three years in his 'retirement'?
Euan was employed by DC Thomson, not the Beano, he retired from DC Thomson while he was editor of BeanoMAX. I do understand that you have no experience of the world of work but for example, one can be moved from one department to another with no resignation involved. And Alan?
I hope this has been educational for you.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Just to reiterate what Nigel said - Euan and Alan both retired. To call it anything else is just wrong.

SID

Post by SID »

AndyB wrote:Subscribers will know at the weekend if it's a one-off!
Looks like it is a new-look. This week's issue has the same design. Nice. :up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).