Dennis and Gnasher in "The Long Way Home"

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

MED1975

Dennis and Gnasher in "The Long Way Home"

Post by MED1975 »

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum today to ask about a comic I have kept since I was a young lad. I have been a life long Beano fan and although I passed on lots of the weekly comics and annuals I have kept on to this particular one. I have done some Googling and nothing ever seems to come up, so wondered if anyone here can shed some light on this. Not sure if its worth anything etc...

It was published by D.C. Thomson in 1986 under the Super Mags banner. Has two main stories - Dennis and Gnasher in "The Long Way Home" where D&G have to find their way back from Australia, and a Nick Kelly story who I think was a Dandy character.

I've attached the front cover and look forward to hearing if any of you know anything about this!

Thanks

MED
Attachments
DSC01047.JPG

Tin Can Tommy

Re: Dennis and Gnasher in "The Long Way Home"

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

You may find this topic to be useful.

MED1975

Post by MED1975 »

Thanks for that - I did try and do a search first - honest!

Does anyone know if they are fairly limited edition then? I wonder if it has any value?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Nick Kelly is from the Topper, not the Dandy.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Nick Kelly also appeared in the Dennis and Gnasher TV series though as a show within a show.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Aw, this brings back memories... I lent my copy of that to a friend of mine back in the 1980s. He returned it about two years ago when he found it after moving house! Delighted to have it returned. That comic always stuck in my head for two reasons: the price (80p for a comic! I think The Beano was 16p at the time...) and the fact that my home town, Wigan, is mentioned. I'd never seen Wigan mentioned in a comic before and it excited me more than you could imagine!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, I felt the same way when I saw that Hull got namechecked in the first Sparky Book.

NP

Post by NP »

PaulTwist wrote:...that my home town, Wigan, is mentioned. I'd never seen Wigan mentioned in a comic before and it excited me more than you could imagine!
Cor!! and Whizzer and Chips mentioned Wigan all the time in their stories. At least, they never mentioned anywhere else! We must get to the bottom of this.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure that 'Our Ernie' in the original Knockout was famously set in Wigan.

- Phil Rushton

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Yep Mrs Entwhistles little lad was set in Wigan as I've got a knockout from WW2 with a strip where Ernie is on a battleship going into Wigan pier! But in reality Wigan pier is on the Leeds/Liverpool canal and only caters for barges.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Don't forget the infamous "LONG LIVE WIGAN!" graffiti left on a spacecraft panel on Venus!