Beano's Got Talent - finally, something new in The Beano!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

WizzKid97

Beano's Got Talent - finally, something new in The Beano!

Post by WizzKid97 »

A new strip for The Beano finally after Dangerous Dan's short series in The Beano Summer Specials, namely Beano's Got Talent by David Mostyn!

Sadly, despite the welcoming of a new strip - the series doesn't seem too strong for me. I guess the artwork is good but I dislike the story - especially the incredibly weak ending.

Still, it's a new strip and that's a good thing.

Post your thoughts on first impressions and opinions on the new strip below. :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

swirlythingy

Re: Beano's Got Talent - finally, something new in The Beano

Post by swirlythingy »

WizzKid97 wrote:Still, it's a new strip and that's a good thing.
First things first: can anyone confirm this is actually a new strip? My gut says yes, as I'm usually fairly good at spotting reprints and I can't see anything immediately amiss (even if the eye-blistering colourscheme is rather reminiscent of Totally Gross The Germs), but I haven't seen David Mostyn around in a while (if indeed it is him), and two extra new pages in the Beano in as many months is stretching the bounds of credibility (previously), so it'd be nice to get a second opinion from someone who knows more than I do.

(The Beano's Got Talent title doesn't mean much; this kind of story is endlessly recyclable. In fact, when I first heard that name mentioned, I wondered if they were rebranding/reprinting a very conceptually similar Mike Pearse long-form story from 2005 called Pop Idiots...)
Last edited by swirlythingy on 10 May 2012, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

noo! we donnt want new strips we want classic characters bought back in new stories in fact let beano & dandy bring back classic characters & all the new style strips could go into a new 3rd weekly title because phoenix seems to working ok apart from the subs dept but thompsons seem to have the subs thing sussed

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

big bad bri wrote:noo! we donnt want new strips we want classic characters
We do? I'd prefer to see a mix of both personally...
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, Pup Parade and Fred's Bed prove that bringing back classics works (both started in reprint then became new strips) but we need innovative new material too. Dangerous Dan was good. Beano's Got Talent? Not so much, I'm afraid. Maybe it'll grow as the weeks pass by.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

There's definitely a post missing from this thread. I know, because I thought I'd got the ninja edit on my previous post done just in time, only to discover that another post had been made at almost exactly the same time. If you edit a post which is not the last post in a thread, then it gets a "last edited by" banner slapped on the bottom of it, but if it's still the most recent post, you get away with it. The stated last edit date is a good four hours before the first reply.

I don't recall anything untoward about its content. Did it jump or was it pushed?
big bad bri wrote:noo! we donnt want new strips we want classic characters bought back in new stories in fact let beano & dandy bring back classic characters & all the new style strips could go into a new 3rd weekly title because phoenix seems to working ok apart from the subs dept but thompsons seem to have the subs thing sussed
Bri, all I can say is it's a good job you're not the Beano editor. The Beano and Dandy are already struggling to be relevant to the modern age, and they don't need to make things worse by being swallowed whole by their own pasts. Personally I'd have said there wasn't nearly enough innovation going on.

The Dandy annual is a good vision of what happens when an editor goes "screw it", drops any pretence at his product being aimed at children, and embarks on the futile exercise of trying to woo back yesterday's children instead. It doesn't work, and in the annual's case it just hurt any potential sales of the weekly comic.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

swirlythingy wrote:I don't recall anything untoward about its content. Did it jump or was it pushed?
I deleted it. My post was written whilst in a bad mood, which is always a bad idea, so in the bin it went...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk