The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AndyB »

I think the Golden Ticket promotion will run for a few weeks, personally. Beano Max features Real Dennis by NP (with Real Slipper)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That was actually confirmed already. "Offer runs from 8th Aug to 5th Sept." - page 17 issue 3646.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yeah, but the unclear bit was whether you get five tickets (including Beano Max) or you have four weeks to input your codes.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Are we to expect any changes in regards to strips Mike (apart from Dennis of course) or have they remained mostly the same?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Gilly wrote:Are we to expect any changes in regards to strips Mike (apart from Dennis of course) or have they remained mostly the same?
Nothing new...and Ratz are out for now. Dennis is by NP...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

What about the reprints? If Barrie Appleby is no longer doing Dennis, there's no reason for Roger to still be reprinted.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Only reprint this week was Bananaman. Beano is definitely real Dennis and Gnasher, including a Brighty Gnasher's Bite, but (at least for now) they seem to be leaving Walter, Dennis's parents and Curly and Pie-Face in the TV designs.

I can only guess, but I would guess that once the Golden Ticket promo ends there'll be more strip pages again. If they are increasing filler, it will hopefully be reprints that get dumped in favour of the Pups and Ratz.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Is Roger in there as a new strip then Andy or is he missing completely this week?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, Barrie's back on Roger, but his parents have been made younger.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Right so now we know that old style Dennis the Menace with a mix of new is being drawn by Nigel, Roger the Dodger is back to New strips drawn by Barrie, only reprint this week is Bananaman (for now), rest of the new strips are there apart from Pup Parade and Ratz (again for now) and the only increase in filler is to do with the promotion which really is more or less the same as last weeks Beano.

Doesn't sound as bad as it could have been but I'll wait to read it to see what I think first.

NP

Post by NP »

Peter Gray wrote:if The Beano is going extreem I will cancel my sub.
It's not going Xtreme or extreem.
Peter Gray wrote:I also don't like the tagline grown ups not allowed...
It's only a comic. That's what's known as a joke round these parts, an adult buying it is not something you can be arrested for.
WizzKid97 wrote:...both look so similar now - why have both?
Beacuse the insides are completely different. The changes to the covers are a bit of branding to make them look like they're complimentary.
WizzKid97 wrote:I honestly do believe we're about to see The Dandy Xtreme Beano-style.
We're not. Seen the History of The Dandy book? Seen how many pages it gives to the three year Dandy Xtreme era, which incidentally had 16 pages of comic strip in most issues and introduced Jamie Smart's Desperate Dan? One.
Dandy Xtreme was cancelled two years ago, forget about it.
WizzKid97 wrote:The beginning of the end perhaps?
Not the beginning of the end of Beano or BeanoMAX.
AndyB wrote:Beano is definitely real Dennis and Gnasher...they seem to be leaving Walter, Dennis's parents and Curly and Pie-Face in the TV designs.
On which, more soon.

Raven

Post by Raven »

NP wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:I also don't like the tagline grown ups not allowed...
It's only a comic. That's what's known as a joke round these parts, an adult buying it is not something you can be arrested for.
Krazy used to get up to similar things with its "New comic for kids only! (We don't mind grown-ups paying for it though!)" jinks over twenty-five years ago. I remember finding that sort of thing good fun as a kid.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I like to see the issue number back on The Beano..
or inside..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

If it is missing from the cover (the one shown in #3646 wasn't the final version, the barcode was missing, and that has the date attached) then they should add it to the contents page, which is how the Dandy avoided that problem.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Other than Dennis and Gnasher by Nigel which should have filled the cover I didn't like the cover..too cluttered...logo too small....

I saw these three.. Beano and Dandy annual out in WHSmiths.......Oor Wullie book..
I love the Dandy annual covering old characters great move..
Lovely Beano and Dandy covers for the annual..