The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

-MikeD-

Re: The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Post by -MikeD- »

Mike Stirling wrote:The final issue is the disappointment some people have expressed about not having won the prize they perhaps wished for. I agree that there has been an editorial oversight in that a speech balloon used by Dennis seems to wrongly indicate winners will receive one of a specific selection of prizes. It was certainly never our intention to mislead and our terms and conditions outline the distribution and allocation of prizes in detail. I’m absolutely mortified to have since learned that this has led to disappointment for some readers. I can promise this is something we’ll learn from for any future such promotions.
That is the most unequivocal and honest admission I've ever read from an editor. Brilliant. I will, as Mike says, never be without a Beano!
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Digifiend wrote:I'd like to think that statement would shut up the clowns on Facebook, but I doubt it.
If they could see it, yes, but I don't believe that if Mike were that frank on Facebook, the clowns would listen.

I still feel funny about posting that e-mail, because while I was upfront about it being for this forum, I don't usually repeat anything in an email I receive from DCT staff, even if the information is in the public domain. These are exceptional days.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

-MikeD- wrote:
Gilly wrote:Avoiding getting pulled into a debate about prizes, is Minnie still on reprint this week or back to new strips?
LOOKS like a reprint. Although I could be wrong as I don't remember the particular strip...
i can never remember any of the reprints if they are 80s or before etc but do remember Dandy ones like my own genie etc as they were way to new,there should be a DCT law that states if reprints are to be used in the weeklies then nothing less than 20 plus years should be used even though i understand in the dandys case as that is the current art style they seem to prefer.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:I'd like to think that statement would shut up the clowns on Facebook, but I doubt it.
clowns are good & not scary :lol: but there is some total scum on facebook making jokes about dead babies & gary barlows performing at the olympics so soon after his recent tragic loss just for money.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

big bad bri wrote:
clowns are good & not scary :lol: but there is some total scum on facebook making jokes about dead babies & gary barlows performing at the olympics so soon after his recent tragic loss just for money.
Not that im a fan of dead baby jokes or other shock for shock's sake style humour. I personally I dont find it shocking just unfunny and something you outgrow in your early teens. But this comment actually offended me because referring to people who make bad taste jokes as scum is as bad if not worse than making bad taste jokes.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Another statement re: continued complaints
The Beano Facebook wrote:We’re aware of, and take very seriously, the issues people are having around the Golden Ticket competition. Misleading or disappointing our readers was never the intention, we’re certainly not ignoring the reaction, and the Editor is responding to messages sent directly and through Beano.com.

Rasher

Post by Rasher »

AndyB wrote:
If they could see it, yes, but I don't believe that if Mike were that frank on Facebook, the clowns would listen.

I still feel funny about posting that e-mail, because while I was upfront about it being for this forum, I don't usually repeat anything in an email I receive from DCT staff, even if the information is in the public domain. These are exceptional days.
Did you ask his permission to publish his email and if it was done like a press release or exclusive interview?

If it was none of those, then yes, you should feel 'funny' about publishing private correspondence.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, the comment was requested explicitly for release on this forum.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I have just picked up the last 3 weeks worth of beano & won 3 sets digital subs so have i won 9 months or just 3 :lol: i cant help thinking these prizes are useless to the majority of people,they just want to generate traffic numbers on their website.& i used my brothers email as he has an ipad but he prob wont use as he has no interest in comics anymore & thinks i should grow up :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like they're having another go. It's called Prize or Prank? this time. Starts 23rd March.