"The Legend of Lord Snooty" book

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: "The Legend of Lord Snooty" book

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

thanks for the corrections, guys! I missed all the other threads.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm white so I prepared to be wrong..But I wonder

But deleting Polly a black girl from the group when children were not encouraged to play with black people...gives it some favour for her to stay. She wasn't the butt of every joke...But accepted.
All the children wear out of date outfits so Polly is no exception.
do we today see black characters in comics today...no..well not for long..
so maybe the fear of offending as stopped editors and artists from drawing them..
or maybe its because all artists are white..?

maybe in the 80's when Polly was dropped they could have updated her a bit instead of getting rid of her?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have the box set of Our Gang/Little Rascals and they are well worth having - like a real life comic strip. The gang did feature a black girl who wore the same outfit as Polly but I have looked at the Our Gang images on google and there is not one of her - I will have to do a screen grab from my dvd. Re Polly being "wiped" here is DC Comics' take on this situation - from the contents page of Superman Family vol.2 Showcase edition which I picked up on Sunday. Its at the very bottom of the page.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes I hear the restoration quality on these items is very good, Steve: I've never seen any of these short films for about 40 years!

Two isolated scenes went down a storm in the kid's matinee:

1] the Polly-like little girls' teeth chatter like ice, in a speeded-up close up.

2] during a violent rugby-pitch scenario, a scrum situation sees another speeded-up shot of a little guy on a trike, escaping the chaos with the ball!

Can you identify these shorts, Steve [I know there's loads of these films, using different actors] but I'd love to see these two especially again..........

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:I have the box set of Our Gang/Little Rascals and they are well worth having - like a real life comic strip. The gang did feature a black girl who wore the same outfit as Polly but I have looked at the Our Gang images on google and there is not one of her - I will have to do a screen grab from my dvd. Re Polly being "wiped" here is DC Comics' take on this situation - from the contents page of Superman Family vol.2 Showcase edition which I picked up on Sunday. Its at the very bottom of the page.
The History of The Beano contains a similar disclaimer in regards to the Peanut character from the original masthead.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Next we'll be getting the following disclaimer on boxed blu-ray sets of The World at War:

we apologize to any surviving relatives of the 50 millions victims of this conflict who may appear prominently within these newsreels: the producers of these discs apologize profusely , and most grovelingly,for any offence engendered. We do hope this statement gets us off the hook, as advised by our lawyers

We especially apologize to the current population of Germany, who may find offence in the manner they are portrayed within these filmed documents, and the producers wish to distance themselves from the actual events, which occurred long before any of us were born, and have absolutely nothing to do with us. We do not endorse any acts of War, Genocide, or the promotion of Conflict, in whichever format they are represented within.