The Dandy and The Beano - Classic Christmas Comic Covers

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

NP

Re: The Dandy and The Beano - Classic Christmas Comic Covers

Post by NP »

Lew Stringer wrote: Red? So how often did you pretend it was the Batphone in 1966, Nigel? :D
Only EVERY OTHER DAY!!! To the Batpoles, chum!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mum was one of five sisters Ivy, Jessie, Dolly, Nellie and Rosie - and one brother Wally. Rosie had twelve kids. But just the two bedrooms - they used a Nissen hunt in the garden as a dormitory.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Lew and Nigel: regarding red telephones, I will go one better:

I ACTUALLY USE a bona-fide, working, vintage 1965 red GPO telephone! [I have no other 'phone, just this one]

Here's an actual photo of the one I use:

Nigel will doubtless testify that these red 1960s 'phones were a powerful childhood memory, one of the reasons I use one----also, as these models were designed for rental only, they are very robust, durable, and hard-wearing. This one is in very good nick---it must have been sitting dormant in the GPO warehouse for decades.

Once 'phones became available to buy,---as oppossed to rent------- the quality dropped dramatically [very good business sense, actually, so you have to keep going out to buy a new one!] and I'm delighted with this original rental model---the only downside is that dialling takes a lot longer than modern push-button methods.

In the 60s, not only could you 'rent only', but you had to wait 3 months to get a 'phone installed.

You probably won't be surprized to learn that I've never actually owned a mobile 'phone.......

NP

Post by NP »

That's the one! had it about 20 years and clarity was great. We had to wait about 4 months for ours!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

We didn't have our first phone installed until the mid 1970s, even though my mum was a Post Office telephonist. Before that people tended to ring a callbox at the end of our road and ask the first person who answered to pass a message! :shock:

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

We never had a phone in the family home. When my father needed to make a call, he would always have a wash first, comb his hair, and then put his jacket on, even if the sun was cracking the flags, before walking less than two hundred yards to the phone box on the corner. He wasn't going to have the neighbours making disparaging comments about him. My mother never used a telephone in her life.

A Google check reveals that there are only 14,000 of these phone boxes left on our streets, but some 2,500 of them have been granted a Grade II listing.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I can still remember when we had to put two bob in the gas and electric meters - up until the early eighties I think. And then there was the bagwash in the 60s. Before we owned washing machine we put all our laundry into a white sack and it would be picked up by the bagwash company. Their building is still there but now it is luxury flats.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:And then there was the bagwash in the 60s. Before we owned washing machine we put all our laundry into a white sack and it would be picked up by the bagwash company.
My mother used to do all our washing in the kitchen sink, squeeze the water out of the clothes manually, and then peg them out on the washing line. But there were some people down our road who had a mangle. They were obviously not wasting their money doing enjoyable things like travelling to football matches at Ewood Park, Burnden Park or Deepdale, or going 21 miles to Preston just to roll their Easter eggs and picnic in Avenham Park. Saddos! Who needed a mangle anyway? We'd have happily trodden on the clothes in our bare feet if my mother had ever asked us to.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

We had a mangle. I used to enjoy watching my mum a take the clothes out of the twin tub with wooden tongs and put them through it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

We were obviously both guilty of watching the women do all the work, Steve. :oops:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Back on topic now folks , I have just received my copy & it is a lovely looking book complete with dust jacket just like the earlier beano/ dandy compilation books , it puts the official efforts of the last few tears to shame & I will be reading it later as I can't wait for Xmas even though I have 100s of other comics & annuals to read :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Back on topic now folks , I have just received my copy & it is a lovely looking book complete with dust jacket just like the earlier beano/ dandy compilation books , it puts the official efforts of the last few tears to shame & I will be reading it later as I can't wait for Xmas even though I have 100s of other comics & annuals to read :lol:
Yes, my copy just arrived too. Absolutely superb book both in content and design. Well done Phil!

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Fantastic. My copy has just arrived at Aardman's studio, although I'm working at home today so can't actually get to it - Why I oughta. Having said that I think I'm tempted to simply leave it in the packaging and read at Xmas. Even better, wrap it in festive paper to prevent any chance of a sneak peak!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Its a very fast read.Well done Phil & I hope the book is a success & you can get the licence to do vol 2 of xmas & many more books,(ken reid johnah stories hint hint :lol: ) or perhaps other xmas stories in order of say bash st kids.