Mail on Sunday special issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Digifiend »

Buy the Mail on Sunday, and you get a special Beano and £1 off the next issue.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 553&type=1

Lew Stringer

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Lew Stringer »

More info on this all-new special Sunday Beano here:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... unday.html

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Looks like I'll be buying The Mail on Sunday then, a free 32 page Beano is a cracking gift. :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'll have to give this one a miss, I'm afraid. I get the heebie-jeebies whenever I'm in the vicinity of the Mail, whether it's on Sunday or any other day of the week.

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

I'm getting this! :) and a whole pound off a Beano! Will it just be Dennis stories? :settee:

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Can't really see the racist old ladies liking Dennis The Menace somehow another axe to grind... On a serious note though I won't be buying it mainly because the daily fail is crap

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Phoenix wrote:I'll have to give this one a miss, I'm afraid. I get the heebie-jeebies whenever I'm in the vicinity of the Mail, whether it's on Sunday or any other day of the week.
Aye, nothing would tempt me to hand over money for The Mail, but this is a really good promotional opportunity for The Beano. I hope a few of the readers find time to buy a subscription for their grandkids.

I remember John Bercow once described The Daily Mail itself as a 'bigoted, comic cartoon strip'.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

On one hand the Mail is a pile of steaming right-wing reactionary manure. :(

...On the other hand, it did feature the superlative 'Flook' for 35 years! :)

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Looks like it is tying in with the National Museum of Scotland piece about Gnasher having a "bone" to pick with them too!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

From a facebook comment I've seen, there is at least one other strip, so my guess it's much of the regular lineup.

Derek, I completely agree. It's a terrible dilemma... maybe if I buy the paper with gloves on, extract the Beano, and stick the paper straight into the shredder without actually looking at it?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

To be fair I know there are one or two Daily Mail readers amongst us so maybe we shouldn't be too openly disparaging about it, wherever our own political sympathies might lie. :?

The funny thing is that the Mail is often said to employ one of the most left-wing workforces in the business!

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I know there are one or two Daily Mail readers amongst us so maybe we shouldn't be too openly disparaging about it, wherever our own political sympathies might lie.
Why not, Phil? We have free speech in this country, and we are not using it to be disparaging about any individuals. We also have freedom of choice. Some of the people who buy the Mail might only be interested in the football reports, others may fancy doing the crosswords, or whatever other puzzles there might be.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think the news items are well-reported in the Mail, and there is loads to read in it: it's hysterical front-page propaganda [Spongers with 22 kids fleecing taxpayer] is a real turn-off though.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Well, I swallowed my principles and bought today's Mail on Sunday - only to find no sign of the promised Beano special edition at all!

I might stretch a point on April Fool gags that are perpetrated after midday - but five days after the event??!! :roll:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I think the news items are well-reported in the Mail, and there is loads to read in it: it's hysterical front-page propaganda [Spongers with 22 kids fleecing taxpayer] is a real turn-off though.
Oddly enough today's front page is screaming for the dismissal of Tory Culture Secretary Maria Miller (someone who, in my opinion, bears an unfortunate resemblance to the appalling, pink-suited Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter films!).

Whatever David Cameron might say I guess that means she's toast - albeit pink toast! :)

- Phil R.
Last edited by philcom55 on 06 Apr 2014, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I've bought it and my free copy of The Beano was inside.

It's interesting that Ball Boy, Roger the Dodger and Bananaman are all drawn in different styles though.