Mail on Sunday special issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by philcom55 »

Phoenix wrote:...Why not, Phil? We have free speech in this country, and we are not using it to be disparaging about any individuals. We also have freedom of choice. Some of the people who buy the Mail might only be interested in the football reports, others may fancy doing the crosswords, or whatever other puzzles there might be.
...Then again, there are many others who really do seem to be comfortable with its political agenda.

Still, you make a fair point Phoenix. I just didn't want anyone here to think they were being personally 'got at' for their beliefs.

(Though I think we can all agree that unscrupulous 'Beano robbing' is totally despicable on every conceivable level! :x )

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Well, I swallowed my principles and bought today's Mail on Sunday - only to find no sign of the promised Beano special edition at all!
a. Serves you right. :)
b. Why didn't you check it was there before you bought it?
c. Why didn't you go back and complain once you discovered it wasn't there?
d. Dolores Umbridge had principles, and she stuck to them. Maria Miller's apparently went missing, as earlier did those of some members of the Labour and Liberal parties, but some of those went to jail. It doesn't look as if Cameron is even going to sack her. In my opinion, this saga has some way to go yet. We can't have people swallowing their principles willy-nilly, now can we?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

If we recall Edwina Curry and John Major, it may not just be her principles that she's swallowing... :coat:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Phoenix wrote:a. Serves you right. :)
Ouch!
b. Why didn't you check it was there before you bought it?
I assumed it was bagged along with the magazine, events guide and other bumf (which were present!).
c. Why didn't you go back and complain once you discovered it wasn't there?
Too far - I bought it while I was in Stafford this morning.
d. ...We can't have people swallowing their principles willy-nilly, now can we?
Double-Ouch!!! :(

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There's probably a phone number or email address where you can contact them if any supplements are missing. They'll send it in the post.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

How much does the racist on Sunday cost? And why did DCT choose a paper that isn't well received by a majority of people?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:b. Why didn't you check it was there before you bought it?
I assumed it was bagged along with the magazine, events guide and other bumf (which were present!).
It should've been. Just got mine and it was bagged with the other magazine. The contact details I mentioned are at the bottom of page 2 of the main paper.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

dandy mad wrote:How much does the racist on Sunday cost? And why did DCT choose a paper that isn't well received by a majority of people?
It's £1.50. I'm afraid it is well received by a large number of newspaper buyers. I'm sure many of us would have preferred to see the free Beano in The Observer or Independent, but their readership might be more in tune with the posh comic The Phoenix than the more traditional Beano.

The Mail's right-wing attitudes may be deplorable to many of us, but using it to reach its 1.5 million readers could be good for The Beano. One thing the Mail plays on is the nostalgia factor of a (mostly imaginary) Britain long gone, so a traditional comic like The Beano will hopefully attract them (and more importantly their kids/grandchildren) to the weekly after they've read the freebie.

(Just my opinion as a freelancer of course. I dunno what goes on in sales and marketing.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Is it just like the standard comic but without any people the mail don't like mainly black/asian/gay and anything else it will hate in its warped British utopia?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hmmmm...does this mean, then, that the BEANO could be read by one and a half Million MAIL ON SUNDAE readers, and if so, when was the last time this level of readership occurred [with the weekly comic, that is] ?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

dandy mad wrote:Is it just like the standard comic but without any people the mail don't like mainly black/asian/gay and anything else it will hate in its warped British utopia?
Don't worry. Little Plum's still in it.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Gilly wrote:It's interesting that Ball Boy, Roger the Dodger and Bananaman are all drawn in different styles though.
It certainly is! Who draws them?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
philcom55 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:b. Why didn't you check it was there before you bought it?
It should've been. Just got mine and it was bagged with the other magazine. The contact details I mentioned are at the bottom of page 2 of the main paper.
Just heard from someone else that their edition didn't have the Beano in it either, nor did any of the issues he checked.

Word to the wise, if it's not too late: check the bag of supplements before you buy. You might have to shake the bag about a bit for the Beano to show from behind the other mags though.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Well, I swallowed my principles and bought today's Mail on Sunday - only to find no sign of the promised Beano special edition at all!
I had to go to my local Morrisons this afternoon, Phil, after a decent pub lunch at our Wetherspoons, renamed the Frank Hornby after Maghull's most famous son, with my son Russell and my grandson Alex, who are up from Cornwall for the week. As I was passing the newspaper stand, I thought What the hell, overcame my heebie-jeebies, although I still don't know how, and bought a copy for you. If you PM me your address, I'll post it off to you tomorrow. Anybody who has to go to Stafford even once a day has my sympathy if the town is as soulless and bleak as its newly-refurbished railway station, although I will admit that it is a lot more presentable than the building site it has been for the last couple of years. At least I will have the pleasure that Colin mentioned of shredding the **** unread. :)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

That was me :) I might have to go across to Tesco, buy it, and bin the main paper before I leave the store...!