Mail on Sunday special issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by philcom55 »

That's uncommonly kind of you Phoenix - thanks very much! :)

In fact I'm so touched by your generosity that I've a mind to inform the Mail themselves of the sterling way in which you've acted to restore their honour. Maybe they'll award you with a lifetime subscription, or permanent enrolment in the hallowed ranks of FOTM (Friends Of The Mail).

- Phil R.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Just as a heads up, the new Roger style is the same in the new 12 Apr Beano (sub received yesterday - warned son not to read D&G as the story is continued from the freebie).

Strangely the contents still say it is by Jamie Smart - hope the Jamie one comes back soon, we both love it.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

:offtopic2: So an ex prime ministers wife goes to a funereal and the only topic of conversion is the size of said ex pm's wife's thighs on the daily racist discussion board you couldn't make it up you really couldn't...
http://boards.dailymail.co.uk/news-boar ... neral.html

And back to topic did DCT print enough freebie Beano's to go into the plastic bags that have the magazines in or not? As they don't sell 1.5million of the pay for weekly anymore so it must be the largest print run for a few decades for the free version and how long will it be until the free comic will appear on feebay on a buy it now for £9.99 because some mug out there will pay it....

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:That was me
It was you, so it was.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Ginger wrote:
Gilly wrote:It's interesting that Ball Boy, Roger the Dodger and Bananaman are all drawn in different styles though.
It certainly is! Who draws them?
Bananaman is drawn by Wayne Thompson making it more surprising that he hasn't been drawn in the same style as the weekly comic. Not sure about the other two although I recognise the Ball Boy artist I can't remember his name.

We already know that Roger is changing next week but it makes me wonder if the other 2 strips will be changing in the with this being a promotion. Ball Boy in particular has been changed to be more like when Dave Eastbury drew him.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Gilly wrote:
Ginger wrote:
Gilly wrote:It's interesting that Ball Boy, Roger the Dodger and Bananaman are all drawn in different styles though.
It certainly is! Who draws them?
Bananaman is drawn by Wayne Thompson making it more surprising that he hasn't been drawn in the same style as the weekly comic. Not sure about the other two although I recognise the Ball Boy artist I can't remember his name.

We already know that Roger is changing next week but it makes me wonder if the other 2 strips will be changing in the with this being a promotion. Ball Boy in particular has been changed to be more like when Dave Eastbury drew him.

Both Ball Boy and Bananaman are in the current "normal" style in the new 12 Apr issue, they've only changed for the freebie.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Wayne also drew Roger. Ball Boy is by Chris McGhie.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Anyone have any idea what all those weird little floating heads are about?
It's Joe King, laughing at the jokes that are next to him.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Nah, not those ones, I know who Joe King is - I'm talking about the balloon-shaped heads.

There's one above Dennis while he's holding an unexploded bomb, one above Ball Boy while he's meeting Wayne Puny, one near a Tom Paterson sock in the Billy Whizz thing, one next to Chief O'Reilly's head as Bananaman arrives, and so on and so forth.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

As day follows night etc the free Beano is on feebay and they ain't free no more
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nah, not those ones, I know who Joe King is - I'm talking about the balloon-shaped heads.

There's one above Dennis while he's holding an unexploded bomb, one above Ball Boy while he's meeting Wayne Puny, one near a Tom Paterson sock in the Billy Whizz thing, one next to Chief O'Reilly's head as Bananaman arrives, and so on and so forth.
Emoticons, used as an extra way to show the character's emotions I guess. I'd have thought the faces on the characters would be enough but it's an interesting addition.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Only just noticed this. Too late now to get the issue - the nephew will be disappointed as he is really into Beano now - will probably be on ebay soon though.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

AndyB wrote:Wayne also drew Roger. Ball Boy is by Chris McGhie.
Thanks Andy the name of the Ball Boy artist was really bugging me.

As for Ball Boy and Bananaman being in their current normal style in Wednesday's issue, it still makes me wonder if their going to change sometime in the near future. It's just strange to promote characters differently to how they would normally appear.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Muffy wrote:Only just noticed this. Too late now to get the issue - the nephew will be disappointed as he is really into Beano now - will probably be on ebay soon though.
Ive already posted a link to it 2 posts up^

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Lew Stringer wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nah, not those ones, I know who Joe King is - I'm talking about the balloon-shaped heads.

Emoticons, used as an extra way to show the character's emotions I guess. I'd have thought the faces on the characters would be enough but it's an interesting addition.
What a strange world this modern one is.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s