Mail on Sunday special issue

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

Re: Mail on Sunday special issue

Post by Gilly »

At least you can joke about it. :cheers:

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I'm surprised that the free Beano is a good quality comic as I thought it'd be a cobbling together of reprint material mixed with ads but that doesn't seem to be the case

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

^Yup. Certainly worth the cover price of the paper it came with (£1.50)

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

To be fair value wise it's the best free comic I've ever seen The Beano give away being 32 pages with all new comic strips.

It's more the changes to certain strips that worry me but I'm willing as before to see how things go.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I wonder how many people will use that £1 off voucher? Cutting it out means cutting up the Dennis strip on the other side. Anyone who doesn't want to do that, or is a subscriber (their payments will be unaffected) or has the digital version of the comic (no way to print it), can't use the voucher. Crafty move putting it where they did, instead of in the paper. They'll gain some sales, but existing readers - i.e. collectors - won't want to cut up the comic and therefore won't use the voucher. :twisted:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:I wonder how many people will use that £1 off voucher? Cutting it out means cutting up the Dennis strip on the other side. Anyone who doesn't want to do that, or is a subscriber (their payments will be unaffected) or has the digital version of the comic (no way to print it), can't use the voucher. Crafty move putting it where they did, instead of in the paper. They'll gain some sales, but existing readers - i.e. collectors - won't want to cut up the comic and therefore won't use the voucher. :twisted:
Won't collectors be buying it anyway? The voucher is mainly to entice new readers to buy the weekly. I don't think kids would be that concerned about spoiling their comic. I still have some Beanos from 1967/68 with holes in them where I cut the puppets out, but I can still enjoy the rest of the comic.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Arriving home this morning I was pleased to find last Sunday's Beano special issue waiting for me as promised. What's more, thanks to Phoenix's tasteful and secure packaging I received my copy in much less objectionable trappings than everybody else had to endure (ie - bundled up in an old newspaper like three-ha'pence of cod and chips!).

Thanks Derek - you're a star! :)

I'm particularly intrigued by the previously-mentioned 'emoticons' shown springing from the heads of several characters. This appears to be the first new visual convention I've seen in a British comic for years, whereas all too many others have fallen into disuse (when was the last time we saw 'icicles' hanging from a word balloon to denote disapproval? I love these things!). There's no sign of this innovation in the latest weekly issue of the Beano: does anybody know if the technique has been previously used anywhere else? As Lew says one would think that in normal circumstances a 'smiley' springing from the head of a smiling character would amount to a kind of visual tautology - though I can imagine other situations where it could be quite effective (for example a teenager looking outwardly cool as he greets a pretty girl, while we see his real feelings indicated by a rapturously love-smitten emoticon with its eyes popping out). My only misgiving is that the current examples look a bit crude and arbitrary, as though they might have been added 'in-house' without the original artists' knowledge.

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 09 Apr 2014, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Incidentally, is that a Lowry on the wall of Dennis's house? I don't recognize the actual painting but the style looks right. :?

- Phil Rushton

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

philcom55 wrote:...Incidentally, is that a Lowry on the wall of Dennis's house? I don't recognize the actual painting but the style looks right. :?

- Phil Rushton
If you download the blippar app, you can see the image in full

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Ah - thanks BeanoMaster! Unfortunately my computer doesn't do Apps!

Here's the panel in question:

- Phil R.

NP

Post by NP »

philcom55 wrote:...I'm particularly intrigued by the previously-mentioned 'emoticons' ...for example a teenager looking outwardly cool as he greets a pretty girl, while we see his real feelings indicated by a rapturously love-smitten emoticon with its eyes popping out).
Yeah, that would be a good use
philcom55 wrote:...My only misgiving is that the current examples look a bit crude and arbitrary, as though they might have been added 'in-house' without the original artists' knowledge.
No 'might have been' about it.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Alex Matthews wrote:I'm afraid I've been taken off Ball Boy, so this looks like what you'll get in the very near future. My last episode has a robot and the history of the football ball in it. Apparently my iteration wasn't going down well with the readers. Bah!
Looks like that's in next week's issue. The preview at the end of this week's mentions "Robot wars in Ball Boy!".

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

One week stay of execution by the look of it - the robot storyline is to be continued!