Beano/Religion link

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Beano/Religion link

Post by Phoenix »

There is a large colour photograph on page 4 of The Guardian today. A young chorister from King's College choir dressed in his robes, is reading what I assume is this week's issue of The Beano with a front cover headline WOW! STILL ONLY 85p. (It were only twopence when I were a lad, so it costs a fair bit more these days to watch Dennis up to his tricks :lol:). His next door neighbour also appears to have a copy. They are all taking a break from their warbling. The Festival Of Nine Lessons And Carols service, presumably with the comics well out of sight, will be broadcast on Christmas Eve on BBC2. With any luck I'll be down the Copperhouse in Hayle that night downing a pint or three of Youngs Special.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Beano/Religion link

Post by Phoenix »

The Guardian was in the vanguard this week, as it often is, with their photograph last Monday of the King's College choristers reading The Beano. The same photograph surfaced today, five days later, in Jennifer Selway's column on page 13 of The Daily Express.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

Phoenix wrote:what I assume is this week's issue of The Beano with a front cover headline WOW! STILL ONLY 85p. (It were only twopence when I were a lad, so it costs a fair bit more these days to watch Dennis up to his tricks :lol:).
I wish! :P It's generally £2.50 nowadays. It was 85p during 2006-2007, so the issue will have been from around that time.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Old Freddy wrote:I wish! :P It's generally £2.50 nowadays. It was 85p during 2006-2007, so the issue will have been from around that time.
As The Beano is a comic I never read, thanks for that clarification about its prices, Freddy. There is therefore an element of time slip as far as those photos in The Guardian and The Daily Express are concerned, because the other information about Carols From Kings is accurate and up to date. I've checked my Christmas and New Year double issue of Radio Times, and it is a fact that a programme Carols From Kings will be broadcast on Christmas Eve at 5.45 on BBC2.