Beano expansion

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Beano expansion

Post by stevezodiac »

Today and yesterday the Daily Star has had interviews with the Beano editor. He mentioned wanting the Beano empire to become bigger than Disney. Also hinted at more Beanold adult sections, maybe each Christmas. Here's the links:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... e-23227424

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... s-23232099

Shiner

Re: Beano expansion

Post by Shiner »

No harm in thinking big! The subtle remoulding of Dennis from Menace to Boisterous Adventurer in recent years has now given him clear space away from Horrid Henry who successfully pinched that crown last decade. At that time I found Dennis to be totally eclipsed but the cartoons have fleshed him out anew.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I always think The Beano should have tried to enter the children's book market with graphic novels based on popular characters.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

This coming Saturday's Daily Mail Weekend magazine has an interesting cover. Who's the artist?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6wFm94HpGvcz29g49

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Looks like Nigel Parkinson to me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was a two page article about Dennis's upcoming 70th anniversary.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The editor of the Beano was on Paul Ross's talk radio show between 4.30 and 4.50 this morning. Talking about Dennis's 70th anniversary. Paul Ross admitted to naming his daughter Hermione after Minnie the Minx.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'm sure that Hermione Granger would be delighted to know that!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Paul did point out she was born before the first Harry Potter book.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Then she can't be named after Minnie either. She wasn't called Hermione until they started giving the characters realistic names (in Minnie's case, Hermione Makepeace) instead of having the kids be called what their stories are (i.e. Minnie was literally called Minnie the Minx) and the parents just being character's Mum and Dad. And that was less than a decade ago. And wasn't Minnie originally short for Minerva? Though of course that can be explained as, like Dennis, Minnie not being the same character who first appeared almost 70 years ago.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I did consider that when I made my post. I don't remember the characters having real names until well into this century.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, until 2013, I think it was just Cuthbert Cringeworthy and Percival Proudfoot Plugsley, two of the Bash Street Kids who both got their names in the 1970s (Cuthbert when he debuted, Plug when he got his own comic).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

The Kids did have names in the Rover (?) text stories, such as Danny “Death’s Head” Morgan. Smiffy’s real surname is Smith.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wizard, not Rover.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... izard.html

Spotty didn't exist when the text stories were written, so he didn't get a name from there. I think he's only had his first name revealed. Plug and Erbert didn't appear in the text stories either, so Erbert doesn't have a last name. Fatty has no proper first name, unlike his former namesake Mr Fudge who is now called Frederick. I don't think Beano has mentioned Fatty's surname? It was Brown, so they'd probably change it, unless they want to reveal he's Walter's cousin!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Dc Thomson should publish list of characters' real names. I'd like to know Ginger's real name as well as Pop, Dick and Harry's.