Don't call me Fatty, the name's Freddy!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Don't call me Fatty, the name's Freddy!

Post by Digifiend »

Fatty from the Bash Street Kids has been renamed Freddy.
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/bash-stre ... ty-freddy/

Digifiend

Re: Don't call me Fatty, the name's Freddy!

Post by Digifiend »

And only one week later, more changes - Mandi (previously used for PSA type stories) and Harsha (from Har-Har's Joke Shop) have joined Class 2B, which solves two problems - Toots is no longer the only girl, and both new characters are ethnic minorities (Indian/Pakistani).

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Good to see the Bash Street Kids changing. I always did think they needed more kids or less kids or just some changes. It was growing a bit stale last time I read it. It was good when they got rid of Teacher's anachronistic mortar board.

I wonder how long they'll last though. Wayne's in pain was the last new Bash Street Kid (14 years ago) and he didnt last long.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I apologise for linking to the Daily Mail but because of the recent changes to the Bash Street Kids, they've parodied them as the Woke Street Kids....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Kids.html

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 11:37
I apologise for linking to the Daily Mail but because of the recent changes to the Bash Street Kids, they've parodied them as the Woke Street Kids....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Kids.html
I think they’ve done a good job on that! 🤣

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's happened again. Spotty is now called Scotty.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

The guardians got an article on the spotty name change.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... rn-thought

marktayloruk

Post by marktayloruk »

I preferred it the way it was in the 60s and 70s - and I was a Fatty and still am! I can't stand this woke PC PC nonsense and would like to turn the clock back How about a retro comic giving teacher back his cane, dad back his slipper, letting menaces punch softies , brave British soldiers outright foreigners- even revive the Wolf of Kabul - imagine Chung using Clicky-ba on the Taliban!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Brave British soldiers outwit and outfight foreigners every fortnight in Commando.

The question the Beano had to answer is whether it was ever right to have derogatory nicknames in the first place, and common decency says… no, actually, it never was.

Forget “woke” and “PC”. They’re just labels people abuse to avoid treating others with plain decency.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

More additions.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I wonder why they've made so many changes in the last year. Is it leading to something? A Bash Street cartoon?

Stevie looks a bit weird. I like both these artists but David Sutherland ghosting Nick Brennan feels out of place in the middle of a Bash Street Kids story.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I agree, I'm surprised he wasn't redesigned to fit the art style. Though David Sutherland is known for being able to mimic other artists' styles, as shown by how he took over from Dudley Watkins on Biffo, David Law on Dennis, and Leo Baxendale on BSK, and of course he also did adventure stories back then. Of course that was over 50 years ago!

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

The new kids are in the Beano Summer special too. So they must have been planning this for a while.
One thing I noticed on the advert for the weekly in the summer special is they have a character I don't recognise scribbling on an electronic ipad. I wonder if thats an earlier draft of Sketch Khad (aka Khadija)...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No. That's I.P. Daley, an adult woman. She's the author of the Dennis and Gnasher "Boomics", whose real writers are actually former Beano editors Craig Graham and Mike Sterling.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/I.P-Daley/e/B092HN8RWY

David Gerstein

Post by David Gerstein »

I can't not notice the word "blam" used as a slangy adjective in the ad for those Boomics.

It's all over the relatively recent Dennis cartoon, too; is it exclusively Beano slang, or something kids in the UK actually say? (I'm leaning toward the former, and guessing it's the editors trying too hard to sound with-it and create something that kids will want to say.)