Newsflash! The Dandy goes... Xtreme!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Going from old discussions with my Dad I got the impression that his generation freely used the term 'comic' to refer both to titles dedicated to funny strips (like Funny Wonder) and the papers such as Wizard which typically featured ripping yarns told in blocks of text with spot-illustrations. In fact I could be wrong but the term 'Story-Paper' actually seems to have been widely adopted only after the modern notion of the comic had become all-pervasive.

- Phil Rushton

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

Please excuse my ignorance, but I assume that this revamp has occured because DC Thomson is trying to save The Dandy from folding due to poor sales. If that is the case, then I applaud them for trying their best to save it. And from what I can gather, this has not been their only attempt.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I think Phil may be right. In the film Hue and Cry I'm sure The Bugle ( or Trumpet or whatever the hell wind-instrument it was) is referred to as a comic, but we would now refer to it as a story-paper.

Lew Stringer

Re: Newsflash! The Dandy goes... Xtreme!

Post by Lew Stringer »

After a quick view of various reactions from the net, I've gathered together a selection of people's thoughts of Dandy Xtreme on my blog:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... treme.html

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Good blog Lew. Balanced and fair I would say.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

It just shows we're not the only ones with extreem views :)

Lets hope some of the views will get through...and changes will take place......

my vote is for more comic less gross sick magazine features...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:It just shows we're not the only ones with extreem views :)

Lets hope some of the views will get through...and changes will take place......

my vote is for more comic less gross sick magazine features...

Sorry to be repetitive in my views, but the point I made is it matters more what the kids think, not adults pining for how comics used to be.

As for the poll on the Dandy website; I'd like to think that Comix were well ahead but I wouldn't put much trust in a technology that allows multiple voting.

Lew

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think The Dandy is trying to save money by getting rid of comic artists...more reprints and putting in cheap gross articles and making out this is what kids want...and getting more money by putting the price up...

I feel gutted for Nick B...Steve Bright...Ken H...for being let go..
Other than Steve Bright working for Wallace and Gromit mag.......will the other 2 have cartoon jobs.....maybe working at the Beano?

The Dandy is not just for kids...many adults buy it..erm me...also i.e the parents for there kids...they won't if the parents read some of the articles...

the cover was very badly designed...clutted and not readable..

The Simpson film article wasn't very interesting...they could have focussed on the animators...etc...it felt very rushed and sparsed...

On the other side of the fence...
this is really what kids want.....which for a comic fan it hard to swallow...

on another note Oink! was more clever and funny....there are ways of doing black humour....the Dandy articles were not as clever as Oink! or funny...
Last edited by Peter Gray on 07 Aug 2007, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

It's very sad to see the Dandy reduced to having Bart Simpson and the Transformers on the front to sell issues. It's an embarrassing public admission that no-one cares about their original characters anymore.

As for the "gross facts" or whatever it was spread reproduced on Lew's blog: it really did look like, as was suggested earlier in this thread, a "pre pubescent lads mag": the box about girls farting was worded in a way inclusive of boys and distancing to girls: it was adressed to a male audience with girls as the "other". Call me a reactionary old git who's too old to be caring about such things (I'm 27!) but I'm really fed up of such "gross science" attempts to dress up factpages for the kids: (and indeed the 20somethingw reading Nuts!) it's not only, imo, downbeat and insulting to the target audience, but now, after at least ten years of overuse, it's also mundane and commonplace. That spread offered nothing of any visual interest, nothign to stoke any curiosity about the world.. just kids eating crap and suchlike. I woudl wager that a signifaant amount of kids woill be disgusted by this (literal!) crap, and an even more significant amount won't find it particularly "gross" or outrageous in the sea of bad taste and boundary pushing media they're immersed in.

On a slight tangent, It is interesting to speculate how low and how far the DC Thomson comic/mags will ultimately sink in attempts to compete with the increasing acceptance and indifference to poor taste/swearing etc in society.. I really think that, assuming they continue, the day that the Dandy or Beano contain their first bona fide swear word is not too far off..

Gary Northfield

Post by Gary Northfield »

philcom55 wrote:Actually if I were 'Baron' Thomson I think I'd be inclined to hand the whole 16 pages over to some bright young cartoonist who's plugged in to the Zeitgeist and brimming full of creative ideas (rather in the way that Odhams asked Leo Baxendale to package Wham! for them in the 1960s). Initially he'd have a pretty small budget to work with, but access to all of DCT's back catalogue, and carte blanche (within reason) as far as design and content were concerned. I know it'd be a huge gamble but IMO anything's got to be better than the dog's breakfast they've ended up with.

For what it's worth my own first choice would be that Northfield bloke with a sheep fetish :wink: ...How about it Gary - do you think you'd be up to the challenge???

- Phil Rushton
Blimey, thanks for that Phil. It would certainly be a cool project to get your teeth into! But I've never worked for the Dandy, so maybe Jamie should have a go first.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I guess one advantage with the new format is that they can afford to experiment much more with the comic section now that it only accounts for part of the total package. With this in mind I think it might be pretty cool to try out a whole series of guest editors - thereby allowing readers to vote on who should be invited back on a more permanent basis. The pay probably wouldn't be much of an incentive, but given the Dandy's iconic status it might well lead to a whole string of talented people (maybe even celebrity superstars like Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison and Jonathon Ross) lining up for a chance to play around with D C Thomson's classic characters.

- Phil Rushton

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Well reasoned and sensible comments on your blog there Lew. Having not seen the Xtreme I can't really comment (although I already did... :? ) but I think my views will be similar to yours- don't like the magazine bit, love the comix bit and think the eating chocolate spread bit is too far.

On another note- how much has the comic content really changed? Can someone have a look at how many comic stories (not number of pages) were in the last traditional Dandy compared to how many are in Comix? There seems to be 10 stories in Comix and I can't imagine there wrere much more in the previous weeks Dandy- maybe more pages, but then again with the amount of ads and 'features' possibly not that either.

Just curious, as if the comic content is much the same, then really, the Dandy has just been enhanced to cater for adults and kids. (Ok, so it's going to be less comics over a fortnight, but per magazine/comic is it about the same?) Also, does the comix section have ads? If not, that's a bonus too!

Ross

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think the point re comic content is that Dandy Xtreme is less than 50% comic content, but Dandy No.1 would have filled most of the rest of the space with text stories, rather than features.

It would be fairer to compare the amount of comic content (strip and text) in the past, including any reprints, with the 15 pages in last week's Dandy Xtreme, and see how much "filler" material there is.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:I think the point re comic content is that Dandy Xtreme is less than 50% comic content, but Dandy No.1 would have filled most of the rest of the space with text stories, rather than features.

It would be fairer to compare the amount of comic content (strip and text) in the past, including any reprints, with the 15 pages in last week's Dandy Xtreme, and see how much "filler" material there is.
Thing is, a lot of kids today don't see DVD reviews, game cheats etc as "filler". They see them as exciting features as text stories were to the 1937 generation.

My whole point is that we can't judge today's children's comics from our adult perspective. I'm sure that in 1937 some adults thought all those comic strips in The Dandy were "filler" and the publication should have been full of text stories!

Lew

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

rossmac wrote: Just curious, as if the comic content is much the same, then really, the Dandy has just been enhanced to cater for adults and kids. (Ok, so it's going to be less comics over a fortnight, but per magazine/comic is it about the same?) Also, does the comix section have ads? If not, that's a bonus too!

Ross

I wouldn't say it's now catering for adults. Just the opposite if anything, if reaction on the net is anything to go by. ;-)

There are no ads in the 16 page pull out Dandy Comix. The cover is a contents page and there are 15 pages of strip with no interruptions. 10 stories in all. The previous week's Dandy had 21 pages of strip, 9 stories in all. (The difference being there are now no strips longer than two pages).

Last week The Dandy was a mixture of 21 pages of strip, 7 pages of features. Now it's a "two in one" style production, with a 16 page comic inside a 20 page magazine.

Sadly, the drastic changes have distracted us from actually commenting much on the comic itself! The new strip Captain Hookless is fresh and enjoyable, Ollie Fliptrik is now into any extreme sport (not just skateboarding), Agent Dog 2-Zero makes a welcome return, and Nigel Parkinson does a brilliant job on Cuddles & Dimples as usual. The back page has the Desperate Dan reprint from 1946, with 22 panels on a page!

Lew