Dandy 2008

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

NP

Dandy 2008

Post by NP »

Lucy Grimm. It's great! And soon, more strips, so they tell me!

Peter Gray

Dandy 2008

Post by Peter Gray »

Great news...

It shows that kids want a comic more than all the other stuff...

On the letter page I saw a reader drew Owen Goal... :)

Update to my message-
Its interesting that The Dandy goes fortnightly to copy other mag/comics then the Dr Who adventure goes weekly.......maybe the new trend is to be weekly.....lets hope The Dandy goes weekly again :lol: :)

Peter Gray

Dandy 2008

Post by Peter Gray »

Now Robin Hood adventures are going weekly...
Robin Hood Adventures started out as a fortnightly comic but became four-weekly from No 4 onwards quote from Tony's trading website

seems to be the trend...how ironic!

Spencer

Dandy 2008

Post by Spencer »

It's great having two sons who are 9 and 7 - I get instant feedback about the comics I have been buying them for past 4 years (Beano and Dandy respectively).

Number 1 - they both LOVE Nigel's strips. It's great to see them laughing out loud at the artwork and not just at the scripts. The downside is they draw a lot of similarities between Cuddles and Dimples' dad and my own good self :shock: !!

Number 2 - NO gripes about the Beano - they're both pretty happy with everything (occasionally I get "Why dont I get as many free gifts as my brother?")

Number 3 - the same questions keep cropping up about the Dandy:

Why aren't there more comic strips?
Why can't I get it every week any more?

Now, of the features that ARE in there, they quite like Extreme Wacked, Games Central and Most Wanted, but they are less interested in the others.

My suggestion is: DON'T separate the COMIX (sic!) from the rest of the magazine; keep the name as Dandy Extreme; get some more strips in (even if reprint - they quite like Red Hot Chilli Dogs); and change frequency back to weekly.

That would keep my two happy anyway!

Peter Gray

Dandy 2008

Post by Peter Gray »

well at least on the Dandy website they mentioned the 70 years Birthday...very surprised they didn't mention it in the comic

quote from dandy.com
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!
Dec 03, 12:29 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!

The Dandy started on 4th December 1937 ? SEVENTY years ago! Back then, we were the first of a new style of comics aimed at kids. The first Dandy had 28 pages, but the pages were black and white except for the cover! Inside were comic strips, jokes and text stories. The comic was such a success that eight months later another comic was launched which was very similar ? The Beano!

When the Second World War started in 1939, there was a paper shortage which meant there wasn?t enough to go round. The Dandy was so important that it was allowed to carry on (every fortnight) through the war to keep people laughing.

After the war, The Dandy went back to weekly issues and kept on being successful! In 1960, it sold over two million copies of one issue, with characters like Desperate Dan and Korky the Cat being famous all over the world.

In August this year, after speaking to hundreds of our readers, we launched The Dandy Xtreme, a fortnightly comic which has all the latest news on games, movies, toys and football, as well as the funniest comic strips around!

My Own Genie- Jamie will show how to draw Desperate Dan in the Feb issue..I've been getting the Dandy again after a short time not...still hoping the comic pages will take over the comic again and less features.and back to weekly.nice the cover is used better inside the comic..

Peter Gray

Re: Dandy 2008

Post by Peter Gray »

Hooray The Dandy is no longer a magazine with a comix in the middle...its now a comic..just needs some more strips and I'll be even happier...

I really couldn't stand the new numbering and the title The Sickest, Slickest comix ever....and the horrible yellow and black line at the bottom and top.with How do you rate it or minging this...

Also nice to see Jamies work back with Dan
the bear eating the man was funny :)

Also like Pinky and more pages for Cuddles and Dimpes...

Now put comic characters properly back on the cover and get rid of the cluttered layout...
Also back to weekly...

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Sounds like a step in the right direction! Never understood why they felt they had to separate the comics from the rest. Although I don't like the non-comic content (I'm 30 mind you, so who really cares if I like it or not! :) ) I think it works best when it is all mixed together.

So, satiate my curiosity- how many pages are now comic, is it still just 16, or more? What comics are in it? How many pages does Jamie's Desperate Dan get?

The 29-page mega comix special comes out in Australia today so I'm excited to be getting that one and am wondering if this one is worth looking forward to May to get?

Ross

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

That's interesting news! I haven't seen this week's issue yet. Sounds like it'll mean a change for those of us who pulled out the comic and threw away the mag anyway. :)

Is it still called Dandy Xtreme by the way?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Dandy EXTREEM 29/03/2008

page 6-7 Jak and Todd part 1
page 9-11 Desperate Dan and great bear fight by the way... :D
page 14-15 Ollie Fliptrik
page 16 Pinky
page 21-23 Cuddles and Dimples (great its a 3 pager...develops characters more)
page 26-27 Jak and Todd part 2
there are 36 pages so the rest a poster of Wrestler and fillers.......so needs more comic...But no reprints yeh!!!!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Just got issue 3444 from Morrisons. Quite a nice package and a big improvement since the relaunch as Dandy Extreme. Plenty of comics and the articles have also improved.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Earl wrote:Just got issue 3444 from Morrisons. Quite a nice package and a big improvement since the relaunch as Dandy Extreme. Plenty of comics and the articles have also improved.
There aren't any extra strip pages but the good thing is there's a better ratio of new material to reprint than there had been recently. Hopefully the comics content will gradually increase and the Xtreme logo will decrease.

Much as I liked the Dandy Comix pull-out comic the new pagination of Dandy Xtreme is paced better with the strips spread out throughout the issue. I miss the Dudley Watkins 1940's Desperate Dan reprints though, but if it's a case of those or Jamie drawing Dan it's better that a new artist like Jamie is getting the gig.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I'm just glad that the Dandy is slowly reverting back to being a comic (rather than a magazine with a comic pull-out section).

I like the new Desperate Dan (though like Lew, I do miss the Dudley Watkins' version).

Now provided the comic still continues as a fortnightly, I am just waiting to see the Beano take over the lead in issue stakes even though to me, the Dandy will always be the better of the two comics.
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

2 pounds 50 now.that price sure has jumped.....not by 10p..20p...But 50p..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:2 pounds 50 now.that price sure has jumped.....not by 10p..20p...But 50p..
That was a one off... or so I thought. The Beano is also charging an extra 51p this week. Never again DCT!

comicsgalore

Post by comicsgalore »

Sorry to bump up an old thread but Lucy Grimm was really rubbish!