DANDY SUMMER SPECIAL

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

NP

DANDY SUMMER SPECIAL

Post by NP »

Those in doubt as to whether to buy the new Dandy Summer Special, I can reassure you that it's about 95 % strips, all new, even KORKY makes an appearance, and Ken's Dan and Jamie's Dan share in a bizarre way! I seriously doubt anyone here who buys it will be disappointed, it's EXACTLY the sort of thing we all like!

Lew Stringer

Re: DANDY SUMMER SPECIAL

Post by Lew Stringer »

Agreed. I liked the fact there's a lot of single page strips this time rather than longer stories.

Who's the new artist on Korky? I like his style.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I saw an ad for it in this weeks Weekly News and was put off by the depiction of Dan on the cover, but I will buy it now on your recommendations. I was just wondering today if Thomsons will admit defeat and relaunch the Dandy in its more traditional comic style.

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

That sounds like it might be worth keeping an eye out for when it comes out in Australia (if I can figure out when that is!). Could someone who has this please let me know what is in it (namely the comics)? Thanks!

Ross

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just got it today after NP and Lews recommendation..
It was a nice read...more comic then I'd thought there be...so nice surprise..
Liked Bananaman helping an old lady from a robber :lol:
Also nice to see Korky back..

The last Dandy Extreem comic was very disapointing with hardly any comic...also the new strip coming the bogies leaves me cold...a farting jungle Elephant was also terrible.. :P

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Very very well done, tight scripting, etc etc. Jamie's Dan is so unlike those that came before that it actually works very well indeed, while Ken's Dan is so much happier in the pre-relaunch version as he gives us here.

Korky's return is back to the old days of when he was permanently escaping the gamekeeper, and I think there's mileage in the "stray cats" theme. Nice work by C McGhie on this and Bananaman - very nice to see Chief O'Reilly being the thick one for a change, actually!

Nice work, all concerned, including NP ;)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up a copy this week and saw the cover price of 2.99 and dropped it like a hot brick. It only seemed to have about 24 pages! Since when is a free gift free when you've paid about thirty bob for it? I mean the comic itself is nowhere near worth 2.99 so you are actually paying for the free gift. Same as those Sunday red tops that provide a free magazine but neglect to mention the paper is two and a half times the cost of its weekday equivalent. Yes I had a working class upbringing in London's docklands so have evolved to have respect for the pennies, but i'm not a miser. I just do not like being ripped off. The Dandy Summer special could be sold for 1.99 without the crummy free gift. Besides the old SSs were a lot bigger and glossier than the actual comic so really were special, now they are the same format so not really worth looking forward to. (I've had this argument before in these forums). i'd actually much rather prefer a summer special in the style of Classics from the comics with loads of classic Dandy strips. Even in black and white it would be more popular than that Extreme "yoof" rubbish. I'm off for a lie down now. Grumpy old man? Me? I should cocoa.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

at 1.5 times the price, it has more than 1.5 times the content in terms of strips, and the strips themselves are some of the very best.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well I am curious. So maybe i will purchase aforesaid funny paper. But it should be bigger sized.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Lew Stringer wrote:Agreed. I liked the fact there's a lot of single page strips this time rather than longer stories.

Who's the new artist on Korky? I like his style.

Lew
The artist is Chris McGhie who did draw 'The Three Bears' in the Beano for a time.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:I just do not like being ripped off. The Dandy Summer special could be sold for 1.99 without the crummy free gift. ..... Even in black and white it would be more popular than that Extreme "yoof" rubbish.
How can you possibly say that without knowledge of the economics of publishing said item? If they knew a cheaper, black and white version would be "more popular" they'd publish it in that format.

The reason the Summer Special doesn't look like it did 40 years ago is because it's no longer economical to publish it in that format. This has not been a sudden change. The size of the Special has diminished gradually over the years, partly due to costs, but also due to shops not wanting a near-tabloid comic. (There's no point in producing it in the 1960s format if Smiths, Asda, Tesco etc refuse to stock it.)

The Dandy Summer Special of 40 years ago had 32 pages, and was mostly black and white. Today's version has 44 pages, is full colour, and is bagged with a toy. Some, such as children, might consider that an improvement, - and in the end they're the target audience, not us.

Lew

PS: I wonder if the adults of 1965 complained that there weren't enough strips about sailors and tramps in sixties children's comics? :wink:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'll see you outside, Stringer. But I can only admire a man who has the sand to admonish a lifelong Millwall supporter. But yes, you're right, re the economics. But it is sad that newsagents are so blinkered in their attitude (if, indeed, they are). I mean how many magazines and papers are all the same size. Even Smiths has Commando, Beanos and Marvel comics all displayed together, all different sizes and formats. And there is truth in the fact us collectors want DC Thomson to cater for our sense of nostalgia rather than make a living. I should be grateful they are still publishing the two comics as they obviously make very profit little on the Dandy anymore. I will purchase the Dandy SS next time I see it.

PS I am hoping the Weekly News and Sunday Post will run features on the Beano's 70th.

steven

Post by steven »

I have a few summer specials from the 1980s and 90s, The ones I have up to 1992 have black and white pages with some colour. I also have Beano summer specials from 2000 and 2001 and by then the pages were totaly glossy and full colour. Now they look identical to the weekly Dandy comic.

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I had a hard time finding mine. Of all places, I found it in a newsagent just down the road from a mate's house up in Stockport.

I liked it. Expensive? Possibly but then so is everything nowadays. But I did like the comics - especially Korky the Cat. Good to see him.
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).