Issue numbers - Beano is only five behind Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Conor B

Re: Issue numbers - Beano is only five behind Dandy

Post by Conor B »

I worked this out a while back. I found it written in an old book the other day...
The Beano will overtake the Dandy in issue numbers about 5 times, with the Dandy coming back now and again, but the Beano will completely overtake at the end of January 2009.

Well, that might not be true. But it's what I worked out (on a day of school...a waste or not ;) )
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

Conor B wrote:The Beano will overtake the Dandy in issue numbers about 5 times, with the Dandy coming back now and again, but the Beano will completely overtake at the end of January 2009.
Not sure that I follow you, Conor. Surely the Beano will overtake the Dandy just the once (sometime in December). Unless you know something I don't about DCT's publishing schedule?
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

I'm not reeeally sure how I worked it out...I just wrote down the two Beanos for each one Dandy and...er..yeah. Probably wrong.

O_o

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

As another interesting tangent a 2000AD reader worked out that, if they continue weekly publication and also calling the christmas bumper issues "Prog (year)", then Prog 2010 will be followed 3-4 weeks later with... Prog 2010!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I would assume that they'll have to jump over progs 2000-2009 in their numbering, or everyone will be very confused!

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

felneymike wrote:As another interesting tangent a 2000AD reader worked out that, if they continue weekly publication and also calling the christmas bumper issues "Prog (year)", then Prog 2010 will be followed 3-4 weeks later with... Prog 2010!
Interesting point which raises yet another question: What do they call the Christmas edition for 2011 if the number has already been used?
AndyB wrote:I would assume that they'll have to jump over progs 2000-2009 in their numbering, or everyone will be very confused!
I am already confused. :lol:

Seriously, if they don't re-use the numbers then there will be an 10-issue gap in the numbering. And if they do, then.... see? Very confused. :?
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

After my last post I googled the US sunday funnies and found one website that has an alphabetical list of every newspaper strip together with the year it started (and finished where appropriate). Just a couple of strips caught my eye like Brenda Starr and Blondie that have been running longer than the Dandy. I only got about as far as the letter D though as it took ages to get through the first four letters? No I can't remember the name of the site but google "US Sunday funnies" like i did and you should find it.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just to clarify, the Beano and Dandy Xtreme will reach parity with issue No 3461 in the week of the Dandy's 71st birthday. Then, in the following week, with issue No 3462, dated 13/12/08 the Beano will overtake the Dandy.
Speaking of interestingly numbered issues this fortnights issue of Dandy Xtreme is No 3456, a four consecutive numbering configuration that can only happen every 1111 issues or every 21.5 years. (The Beano will reach the same figure with issue dated Nov 1st).

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Kashgar wrote:Speaking of interestingly numbered issues this fortnights issue of Dandy Xtreme is No 3456, a four consecutive numbering configuration that can only happen every 1111 issues or every 21.5 years. (The Beano will reach the same figure with issue dated Nov 1st).
Didn't notice that one. Thanks, Kashgar!

steven

Post by steven »

What about milestones. The Beano would soon reach the 3500th issue. I wonder if the Dandy will ever make it to theirs?

I have the follwoing with milestones

Beano No 3000 Comic mostly was business as usual but the were stickers free with them. Though it was a couple of weeks after the millenium issue.

Dandy No 3000: The millieium bug made an appearance in the strips. That was one of my favourite issues and Dan hitting the bug which had caused havoc around the issue and splitting the bug into tiny bits.

Beano N0 2500: The issue when Dennis the Menace used a gun salute. The rest of the comic was just normal

I haven't got the Dandy's 2500th issue but it had Dan in space on the cover.

Beano No 2000: There was the first issue shown on the back cover and a combinded Dennis and Bash Street Kids on the centre pages. All the pages had a lot of mention of it.

Dandy No 2000: Only Korky, Smasher,Bully Beef and Chips had mentions of the occasion as well as a 2 page Desperate Dan strip along with a reprint of the first ever Dan strip in the comic. The rest were mainly business as usual.

I know the front pages had birthday related covers for the 1000th issues of both comics. I just don't know about the rest of the pages ofr those issues.

I also don't have issue No 1500 of neither Beano or Dandy. I assume they were normal or were they?

What about others, No 500, etc?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I think issue 3001 or 3002 of The Dandy was treated as a big milestone as it had overtaken some other comic (Comic Cuts?)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:I think issue 3001 or 3002 of The Dandy was treated as a big milestone as it had overtaken some other comic (Comic Cuts?)
Close. I think it was issue 3007. You're correct that Comic Cuts had previously held the record.

(Interesting how "Comic Cuts" became a phrase embedded in the public vocabulary to describe comics in general, and is still heard even today occasionally.)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

For some reason I have three copies of the very last issue of Comic Cuts, one is in mint condition, nearly. "Exciting News for all readers inside" or something like that.

SID

Post by SID »

Just got the latest Dandy. Only three behind now.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Speaking of milestones, Classics from the Comics doesn't seem to mention that it is now at its 150th issue.