MARVO THE WONDER CHICKEN!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Steve Henderson

MARVO THE WONDER CHICKEN!

Post by Steve Henderson »

Looks like Marvo is ready for the air, well one episode is going to be shown at the Annecy festival so it can't be too long before its shown on the telly.

http://www.annecy.org/annecy-2010/festi ... :f20100726

Really looking forward to the festival it will be my first time this year. By the looks of things they have got it right by making them only a minute and a half long. Should translate perfectly!

SID

Re: MARVO THE WONDER CHICKEN!

Post by SID »

Does anyone know whether there are plans for him to appear in the new Dandy?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Apparently not, which I'm baffled about. I was very surprised when Nigel confirmed Marvo's absence, because of the fact that the cartoon has yet to air.

SID

Post by SID »

That is why I asked. I thought that as a budding TV star, DCT would want to promote him through the comic.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It looks as if they made the series then couldn't get a broadcaster. Odd thing is, the one minute shorts made for Dennis and Gnasher haven't aired either (even though CBBC has now aired all of the 10 minute episodes), although some of them are on the DVDs.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:It looks as if they made the series then couldn't get a broadcaster.

Haven't they been on Disney XD in some places?

NP

Post by NP »

I wouldn't necessarily rule out Marvo being on TV

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

If it doesn't show up, it apparently wouldn't be the first DCT animation failure. I was looking up Bananaman (I'm typing up an article for the Albion British Comics wiki) and his Toonhound article mentions that they intended to do a Numskulls series in 2001.
Num's the Word...
Following in the hot footsteps of Dennis & Gnasher, perennial Beezer comic faves The Numskulls are to star in their own T V show...

The $4.5m series alters the established format just an inch or two for modern viewing, and now stars a 10-year-old schoolboy called Ed and the Numskulls who live in Ed's head. Says the press blurb: 'Often at odds, Ed tries to do one thing and the Numskulls another, rendering him quite. . . awkward.'

Numskulls is being animated by Hibbert Ralph and distributor HIT Entertainment is currently selling the first season package of 26 x 15minute shows which should be ready for broadcast sometime in 2002...
http://www.toonhound.com/april2001.htm
I wonder what went wrong there? It's poor research from Toonhound of course, as The Numskulls were by then established Beano stars and Ed had been introduced back in 1990.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

These things take time Digifiend. You have to sell your animation to distributors before it gets put on the telly, right now its doing the festivals and no doubt a heck of a lot of effort is being put into finding the right distributor. Animations going through a real tough time at the moment no one has any money, but a short animation like Marvo ticks all the right boxes and has the scope to be sold around the world. Its owned by the same guys that own Dennis and Gnasher and that continues to be sold throughout the world (canada most recently I believe) these guys know what they are doing, like I say its early days give it time.

It was a shame about the Numbskulls animation, Although I was not a fan of the character designs. They should have another go, get Redkite to do it instead of HiT, make them shorter also!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The fact it doesn't seem to have sold to its home market is worrying though. The show was in the can a year ago, that's plenty of time.