Dandy Relaunch next month

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Dandy Relaunch next month

Post by Peter Gray »

On the same forum, Peter Gray's reaction was more adverse: "The Dandy should have ended........the magazine should just be called Extreem........it was really horrible!the ugly Dad was not nice nothing wrong with him......the sister with bad BO...it all was just pointless.....not funny.......and sick.."

I could never get my head round the spelling of Xtreme.. :P

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... treme.html

I really hated those first articles in the magazine part of The Dandy..glad the article did get better...anyway we were all proved wrong The Dandy did last..I eat my hat if I had one..glad The Dandy is going to be something I like again..
also later with new characters it did get better with the new artists..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thought of new ideas.. :D :wave:

Sarah Jane adventures cartoon adventure strip starts in The Dandy

Now I'm sure Lew is drawing for The Dandy..must have got that one right.. :lol:

So you are either bringing back Sparky's I Spy or Korky the cat from the new Dandy comic libraries..

also is Laura drawing for The Dandy?!

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... -they.html
There will be more info about The Dandy released soon. You'll hear about it, don't worry. Perhaps the equivalent of Avon ladies will knock at your door to sell you a copy? Perhaps a reconditioned ice cream van will be chiming its way around your area, stuffed with Dandies? (No, not Russell Brand or Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who.) Or perhaps it'll just be some people on the telly telling Daybreak all about it? Who knows? Not me. Lew
Hence my guess of Doctor Who type comic strip...and not Russell Brand :shock:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Steve Henderson wrote:
Digifiend wrote:That post was made before we even knew that there was going to be a revamp (he simply couldn't find a decent sized version of the current logo).
Does he say that somewhere Digi, have I missed it? Or are you just claiming that on his behalf? I'm just interested. If the Dandy has got (and its quite likely they have) a new logo it would have been some blunder to stick it up on his blog ha ha
It's in another thread, so you just missed it.
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=15

As for whether Laura's drawing anything... her website's getting a makeover - to feature new characters, perhaps?

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

As for whether Laura's drawing anything... her website's getting a makeover - to feature new characters, perhaps?
Sadly, my website's under construction at the moment simply because my web host had a massive server failure and I lost all my content because they didn't have backups. But, since I was planning to revamp it anyway, I'm not too bitter - it'll be back up soon with a new look, new art and probably a new blog (I never did like my current one very much).

As for whether the new art will include Dandy stuff... the future is full of mysteries, innit?

jamie

Post by jamie »

*cough*

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Searching desperately for the clues in Nigel's blog but all I can possibly deduce is:

a) He 'really liked' that monster drawing he had done - seemed open-ended so I wonder if that is a preview of a new Dandy strip he is doing?

b) My Back Pages - is one of the blog titles. 'My' back page as in NP will be doing a story on the back page (maybe the aforementioned monster strip?)

c) Harry Hill - no idea what the connection here will be but I think there is one. ("He couldn't be any busier.... surely?")

..and that is ALL I can piece together and it's probably all wrong :( I should stick to 'Dennis And Gnasher Puzzles' - that's more my level..

Still we are only TWO days away from October 13th which I have put in my diary as advised by Nigel..................................

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Back page is probably going to be an advert. The monster picture is a panel from a Dennis and Gnasher strip, you can see The Colonel on it. Not Dandy related.

Laura, I just checked the Internet Archive, but the most recent version of your site is from 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/200711031047 ... ell.co.uk/

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Remember Harry Hill does joke books which have drawings in them. I bet Nigel's done one of them!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Everybody is excited about it- everybody.
Everybody is a clue..

Then there are clues on Nigel Parkinson's blog of course, for those who know how to look, as anti-comics crusader Doc Wertham once said:
http://www.nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogspot.com/

Doc W saw rude things in Batman and Robin and other comics..so are we looking for something rude on nigels blog..though innocent in itself?
Perhaps the equivalent of Avon ladies will knock at your door to sell you a copy? Perhaps a reconditioned ice cream van will be chiming its way around your area, stuffed with Dandies? (No, not Russell Brand or Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who.) Or perhaps it'll just be some people on the telly telling Daybreak all about it? Who knows? Not me
This is a clue surely..

Avon ladies..?
What does recondtioned mean..
people on the telly..
Doctor Who
a new Dandy cartoon on the telly..
Things ain't wot they used to be. And they're about to change again. Hold on, the boat's about to be rocked. ;-)
the boat that was rocked was when pirate radio was on air in the 60's..
so is pop music coming to The Dandy?

So now it looks like
Laura
Nigel
Lew
Jamie
are drawing for The Dandy..

Is Tom Paterson drawing for The Dandy?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Sarah Jane adventures cartoon adventure strip starts in The Dandy
That would be a REALLY good idea! Doctor Who and *spit* Torchwood both have thier own 'comics'. In fact Doctor Who has three! They could even do olde-worlde serial strips to make readers come back / beg thier parents more. Plus one of the complaints about Extreme was that it had turned into a "boy" comic. A new "girl" character (albiet one who is, ahem, at least 35 by now :lol: ) would add a bit of diversity. Even if the stories would be full of aliens, monsters and lasers.
the boat that was rocked was when pirate radio was on air in the 60's..
so is pop music coming to The Dandy?
The return of Jonah? (who was in the Dandy in the 90's... and had fantastic artwork to boot)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:a new Dandy cartoon on the telly..
We've not heard anything about any characters from the Dandy having cartoons apart from Marvo, who we know to have been dropped, and Bananaman, whose series is 27 years old (he was still in Nutty at the time!).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: This is a clue surely.?
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I just had to do this joke... :oops: :coat:

The Dandy is giving away free cigars in the next issue to try and attract older readers back... :P :)

intune

Post by intune »

DC Thomson have just posted this on Twitter:
Have received some excellent PR tenders for an exciting relaunch in the coming weeks. Look forward to reading all of them today.
I'm assuming this is The Dandy unless another DC Thomson title is changing. Considering the relaunch is 2 weeks away I'm shocked the PR tenders are so late.

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Er, Sarah Jane Adventures would be as much a licensed product as Doctor Who.

PR wouldn't be for Dandy at this late stage. Probably for one of their grown-up titles like My Weekly.