Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Jay

Re: Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Post by Jay »

The poll surely can't be the 'readers can vote for which strips they want to keep/drop' that was mooted pre-revamp is it?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like it. That's why I was worried that Harry was in last place. He's supposed to be the big selling point.

Raven

Post by Raven »

They'd be a bit daft to take that poll in any way seriously, surely, as there's nothing to stop any reader - or indeed, Dandy artist! - clicking on any character a few hundred times a day, or as often as they fancy. It would only work properly if people had to log in and could only vote once.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You're right. The Dandy website is much improved from the old one, but they would do well to carry over some features from the Beano website, and account registration is one of those.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:You're right. The Dandy website is much improved from the old one, but they would do well to carry over some features from the Beano website, and account registration is one of those.
also put a retro section on there but more than 1 issue per decade

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

The press made up on the x-factor thing and voting characters out, didn't they? It hasn't been in the comic at all, that I remember.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No mention of it until today. The next issue page says to vote for your favourite story on the website. Which will be what they meant about X Factor style voting all along.

kevf

Post by kevf »

Jay wrote:The poll surely can't be the 'readers can vote for which strips they want to keep/drop' that was mooted pre-revamp is it?
Speaking as someone whose strips regularly topped The Beano's online poll, I can say there's no direct correlation between being popular and being dropped. :)

Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius
http://comicfestival.co.uk

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

kevf wrote:
Jay wrote:The poll surely can't be the 'readers can vote for which strips they want to keep/drop' that was mooted pre-revamp is it?
Speaking as someone whose strips regularly topped The Beano's online poll, I can say there's no direct correlation between being topping online polls and being dropped. :)

Kev F
edited for accuracy (within the discussion on this page, at least!) :)

kevf

Post by kevf »

MikeC wrote:
kevf wrote:
Speaking as someone whose strips regularly topped The Beano's online poll, I can say there's no direct correlation between being topping online polls and being dropped. :)

Kev F
I was going to say "mieow", but what I think you're drawing attention to is the fact that The Dandy's current poll is susceptible to ballot stuffing (it let me vote for Desperate Dan twice, and was about to let me note for it a third time without stopping me) whereas most online polls have a set-up that prevents that. I think The Beano's online poll used to stop repeat voting (pretty sure it did).

You're right, there is a big difference between topping a poll and being popular. Ask David Cameron.
Kev F - Comic Genius

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Does this mean my strip really isn't popular at all?

*Sniff* I felt good for about ten seconds, then :D

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

kevf wrote:
MikeC wrote:
kevf wrote:

Kev F
I was going to say "mieow", but what I think you're drawing attention to is the fact that The Dandy's current poll is susceptible to ballot stuffing (it let me vote for Desperate Dan twice, and was about to let me note for it a third time without stopping me) whereas most online polls have a set-up that prevents that. I think The Beano's online poll used to stop repeat voting (pretty sure it did).

You're right, there is a big difference between topping a poll and being popular. Ask David Cameron.
Absolutely right, hence the smiley - no discredit to you, just the system. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:o Someone's been putting in thousands of votes! None of them were higher than 4000 yesterday.
Harry Hill 2246
Shao Lin Punks 4001
Kid Cops 4545
Postman Prat 5159
Robot on the Run 15032
Desperate Dan 18133
George Vs Dragon 22031

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote::o Someone's been putting in thousands of votes! None of them were higher than 4000 yesterday.
Harry Hill 2246
Shao Lin Punks 4001
Kid Cops 4545
Postman Prat 5159
Robot on the Run 15032
Desperate Dan 18133
George Vs Dragon 22031
The system is completely open to abuse, and certain people with chips on their shoulders and time on their hands will revel in it. :(
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

kevf

Post by kevf »

Interesting that, despite the ballot stuffing and multiple voting, the positions remain the same?

When will we learn the results that count, ie the sales figures. We've had 6 weeks now, that's when you start to get returns figures isn't it?

Kev F
Kev F - Comic Genius