Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Spencer

Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Post by Spencer »

Sorry, I just got fed up reading 'Dandy Relaunch Next Month' when it is actually in just FOUR days time!!!!

Can't wait - really can't. And to think, the poor old general public are stil blissfully unaware of what is about to hit them!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Dandy Relaunch THIS WEDNESDAY!!!

Post by AndyB »

I make a point of not revealing what is in next week's Beano, but as an exception, there is no ad for the Dandy in its pages.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Spencer wrote:Sorry, I just got fed up reading 'Dandy Relaunch Next Month' when it is actually in just FOUR days time!!!!

Can't wait - really can't. And to think, the poor old general public are stil blissfully unaware of what is about to hit them!
I only hope that retailers have a) ordered copies and b) actually display them properly as they're paid to do.

If those two things are right then it's half the battle won.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

That is what is concerning me a little Lew. As it hasn't been promoted at all as far as we can see, newsagents/supermarkets that previously didn't stock The Dandy have had no incentive or obvious reason to suddenly order more copies for the relaunch.

I wonder if it even featured in the trade magazine "Retail Newsagent"?

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

AndyB wrote:I make a point of not revealing what is in next week's Beano, but as an exception, there is no ad for the Dandy in its pages.
Does this make any sense to anybody on here? :headbash:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Spencer wrote:
AndyB wrote:I make a point of not revealing what is in next week's Beano, but as an exception, there is no ad for the Dandy in its pages.
Does this make any sense to anybody on here? :headbash:
1. I subscribe to the Beano and therefore get it days in advance
2. It's horribly unfair to tell everyone else in advance what they can't read before Wednesday
3. In this case, I don't think it spoils the surprise to tell folks there is no Dandy ad in next week's Beano.

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Sorry AndyB, I didn't really make my point clear. I wasn't questioning your decision at all - rather the fact that DCT were still not advertising the New Dandy in The Beano, when the issue in question will actually be on sale the SAME DAY as The Dandy....

Just seems a missed opportunity to me, that's all

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

They're quite probably relying on the fact that people will see the Dandy first! Doesn't quite work for those with subs, of course :)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

And the mock cover shows cartoon versions of Hill, Simon Cowell, Jeremy Clarkson and Noel Edmonds
Hmm, so is the "big thing" making it a lot more TV-integrated? Played right, that could boost it's circulation to gigantic levels (well, gigantic in comparison to now anyway, i'm not talking 1950 levels here!). An inclusion of Jeremy Clarkson is bound to lead to a mention on Top Gear, which is one of the most popular programmes around at the moment. That ought to lead to a circulation boost from dads who have forgotten it exists and don't know it's still going.

NP

Post by NP »

wicked-stepladder wrote:Harry Hill is co-writing and starring in his own strip. It looks to be drawn by Nigel.
So much untrue in that little sentence. You must try harder, "Wicked Stepladder", to spoil everyone's fun.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: What? That's dumb, to say the least. People won't buy it if it isn't advertised. :?

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote: People won't buy it if it isn't advertised.
It will be advertised. Even people who don't read comics will know it's out there. It is on sale for a whole seven days, you know, not just next Wednesday.

But, better buy two.

NP

Post by NP »

Don't believe everything you read- even in Retail Newsagent.

NP

Post by NP »

Or that Retail Newsagent is misunderstanding what information it is being given.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

On the north bank of the Tay intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic are slowly and surely drawing their plans against us! :settee: