A way to stop the bad sales

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Jonny Whizz

Re: A way to stop the bad sales

Post by Jonny Whizz »

yanobandy wrote:Ditto.
Why do you keep making posts agreeing with your previous posts? In my opinion it's pointless, and it clogs up threads.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

, Wizzkid, i could hardly see it myself! And Winker Watson was drawn by Stevie White in that issue. I just put Blinky in to fill the gaps really. And i really wanted to put in Postman Prat in instead of cuddles and dimples, but i just couldnt see a 1-page CAD. Pity really. Okay then wizzkid. I've replaced Cuddles and Dimples with Postman Prat and an advert, because, what's the point of cuddles and dimples if it's only one page?
Last edited by yanobandy on 04 Oct 2011, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

yanobandy wrote:Thanks, Wizzkid, I could hardly see it myself! And Winker Watson was drawn by Stevie White in that issue. I just put Blinky in to fill the gaps really. And I really wanted to put in Postman Prat in instead of cuddles and dimples, but i just couldnt see a 1-page CAD. Pity really.
No problem, just make sure you make things clear or else they could be mistaken as spam and be deleted. Also thanks for the information on the Winker Watson artwork. I'll edit my post now. :)

Blinky is quite good but really only needs one page, two pages is a big waste! Also I prefer Postman Prat to Cuddles and Dimples anyway so easy choice for me!

Also, please delete your quote of my post. It's too long to be used twice! ;)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

I couldn't say I like either the Dandy cover now, or the one from before the summer, however I do agree that the older one was better. I think the problem is me wanting things back to what they were like when I used to read it (which would probably cause less sales if they did this). Looking back, I liked the old way of using the front cover for a strip/start of the story. I would love this to come back, but wonder if it would attract kids to it or not. I would certainly be happy with this change if it happened, but I believe that children are their main target audience. I also like the idea of adding a strip to the back page and removing adverts inside to add more cartoons. The adverts are probably the worst problem with the Dandy nowadays (with the celebs a close second). There's just too much of them. I remember back in the day, when you would have one page advert and sometimes, these in themselves would be comic strips. Obviously, I understand that this is a great way to make money, but it's not what the reader wants (I have never seen a post on here from someone saying they love the adverts in The Dandy). I bought this weeks Dandy this morning, and when I finished reading it a couple of hours ago, my first thought was 'well, that wasn't a very good Dandy this week.' I just wasn't impressed with it, there are a few strips which just bore me, and, as I mentioned, The adverts are just annoying and take up too much room.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Have a look at this thread. The modern Dandy barely has any adverts in it at all (no doubt due to the release of the ABC figures), and the vast majority of remaining adverts are dressed up as competitions. Issues with no adverts used to be commonplace, and indeed far more common than issues which had so much as half a page of one.

Of course, one thing which has become more common in the Dandy in recent weeks is DC Thomson adverts. They don't generate income, but they do pad out the pages, and since the Dandy started running a regular reprint-ad for the Beano (with its four times greater sales) I've strongly suspected that's exactly their purpose. But that's a whole other discussion...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

swirlythingy wrote:Have a look at this thread. The modern Dandy barely has any adverts in it at all (no doubt due to the release of the ABC figures), and the vast majority of remaining adverts are dressed up as competitions. Issues with no adverts used to be commonplace, and indeed far more common than issues which had so much as half a page of one.

Of course, one thing which has become more common in the Dandy in recent weeks is DC Thomson adverts. They don't generate income, but they do pad out the pages, and since the Dandy started running a regular reprint-ad for the Beano (with its four times greater sales) I've strongly suspected that's exactly their purpose. But that's a whole other discussion...
I'm not talking about adverts. I'm talking about ways to boost the sales.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

yanobandy wrote:I'm not talking about adverts. I'm talking about ways to boost the sales.
He wasn't talking to you. r3tr0_gam3r was talking about adverts.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

That doesent make any sense to me, Digifend.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

What, r3tr0_gam3r? It's the name of the member who posted immediately before Swirly - that's who Swirly was talking to.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

Oh, makes sense now.

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

swirlythingy wrote:Have a look at this thread. The modern Dandy barely has any adverts in it at all (no doubt due to the release of the ABC figures), and the vast majority of remaining adverts are dressed up as competitions. Issues with no adverts used to be commonplace, and indeed far more common than issues which had so much as half a page of one.

Hiya, thanks for that, very interesting to see the change over the year. I think the main problem is that I've only just started buying the Dandy again recently, and so am still comparing what I see every now and then to what I was always used to in the old days. I used to get it every week as a child, then stopped and rarely had one for a few years up to a year or so ago when I subscribed and then had to stop due to lack of funds! Since then I had stopped buying any comics regularly and focused on my annual collection until I subscribed recently. I remember buying one a while back, and hating it as there seemed to be nothing but adverts. Looking back at this weeks issue though, I will now correct myself with saying, the celebs are the most annoying thing these days for me, and the ads are hardly a problem at all, with most just being DC Thomson ads and the Beano strips ad. In most issues, I don't mind the Harry Hill strip, but hate the other celeb one. In this weeks, I found DIY JLS to be rubbish and also didn't like the Ants and Dec game.
Thanks again, is much better than me noticing it later on and having to come back and explain my mistake lol.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I would expect more outright ads in the Dandy from here on in, same as the Beano. The evidence suggests to me that the Dandy was given a budget boost specially to allow those glorious early issues, but the boost is over and they're heading back to Beano-sized budgets.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Companies might not want to advertise in the Dandy because of it's low sales, and they already have three pages of DCT ads. In all honesty, if there's a budget drop, I'd expect it to mean more reprints, rather than more adverts. That's the reason My Own Genie came back, because of the budget drop. Surely it'll soon not be the only one - that's only two pages, and Beano usually has four pages of reprint (six from next week assuming that Roger remains as reprints and Retro gets two pages).

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Does anybody read the small print in The Dandy? It's worth it because it usually changes with each issue. Check out the signpost on the next issue page and compare it with the first revamped issue last year - three staff down! I wonder if they're working on new projects?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I understand that Ally retired, leaving Craig and Michelle as the only editorial staff and Mark as the graphic designer. All of the strips are written and drawn by freelancers - they seem to mention a different freelancer every week.