A way to stop the bad sales

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: A way to stop the bad sales

Post by Digifiend »

No surprise. It's half term. Beano will be £2.50 as well. Well, they didn't advertise the price, but they did mention a Sneakypult gift.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Half term already, the kids only seem to have started a new school year,I swear i never had this many school hols when i was a kid. :lol:

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

A couple of things... higher-price issues invariably sell more copies than regular priced ones. That's why so many publishers do it. The Beano's increase in pages has nothing to do with the Dandy and I have heard absolutely no discussion on merging the comics. And this bit is purely my opinion - I don't think Beano and Dandy are compatible in terms of current content. We're aimed at different parts of the market.

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

Beano and Dandy merging? How utterly ridiculous.
The weather is windy.

tictak

Post by tictak »

Let's hope so!

tictak

Post by tictak »

Not wanting to leave The Dandy alone, what do you think of the revamp? What is going wrong?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think it is the actual title of the comic that is the drawback - in 1937 it may have meant something to kids of the time but in 2011 it must look like a foreign word. But then so would the Beano. My suggestion would be to have Desperate Dan's name in larger letters than the Dandy as in DESPERATE DAN'S Dandy Comic. I'm sure it has been done in the past but cannot bring any titles to mind as an example. Billy Bunter's Knockout?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I think the name the beano is now associated solely with that comic but dandy is still a word and sounds both old fashioned and camp.
Last edited by Tin Can Tommy on 23 Oct 2011, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think the terms 'DANDY' and 'BEANO' in their original definitions were dated even in the 1930s!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I think the name the beano is now associated solely with that comic but dandy is still a word and sounds both old fashioned and camp.
Tell that to Jason King and then see how many teeth you have left when you wake up.

You don't mess with the debonair dandy from Department S! :D

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Personally, I love the the comic's name but how much of that is nostalgia? I doubt the name carries any overtones of campness to a 9yo, but neither does it sound very 'now' or exciting.

When I was younger, and ambitious, around ten years ago, I tried putting together a small press children's comic. I called it 'Swivel!' which sounded suitably crude and anti-establishment. I wish I'd succeeded and kept it going in the age of mobile devices, as 'Swivel On Your iPhone!' is a good title… :-)
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Gilly wrote:Maybe if the Beano 36 page revamp works then the Dandy should follow suit.
Looks like my prediction was correct, The Dandy is following The Beano next week by adding an extra 4 pages. Wonder if the paper style will change as well.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Probably. Also, I wonder if this means more reprints?

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Digifiend wrote:Probably. Also, I wonder if this means more reprints?
From what I've got Space Raoul is returning and in reprints (most likely replacing My Own Genie, woo! I've never read Space Raoul before!)

Also Pepperoni Pig and Newsblast (?) are back!

This week's issue was an interesting one, the mini strips mixed up again in a different order, new speech bubbles used on Are you Ready for the Question, Noel? and Watch this Space, Jibber & Steve and Mr T's Safety Tips are back sharing a page. Twit-ter returns to the mini strip pages and Si Fawkes was the first comic strip this week, weird!

A great issue though! Worth £1.50!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The extra pages mean that it's very possible that Space Raoul will NOT replace My Own Genie. What was the new material added when Beano got 4 extra pages? Reprints.