A way to stop the bad sales

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

Re: A way to stop the bad sales

Post by Gilly »

You could now also class the return of Super School as an addition to the extra pages in The Beano.

However I agree that its most likely Space Raoul will not replace My Own Genie and be the extra pages of reprints. With that in mind this weeks Dandy has the most pages of reprints since the revamp with the 2 pages of My Own Genie and the page introducing Space Raoul for next week.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And Space Raoul has two pages (for 12 weeks, that's how long the original run was in 2007), so next week has at least four pages of reprint it seems.

Jamie confirmed on Twitter that My Own Genie will continue. It seems they plan to run the entire series (there's at least a couple of year's worth), like The Beano did with Fred's Bed.
http://dandyforums.freeforums.org/the-d ... 0.html#p99

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I know Jamie is prob flavour of the month at dandy towers as he does a lot of excellent work for dandy but i feel it is way to soon to be reprinting my own genie and space Raoul as they probably aint even 7-8 yrs old or there abouts, there is a wealth of older stories just waiting to be reprinted even a complete run of classic sparky puss & boots as people may have only seen the newer ones in dandy or do a new version of old beano stories like they did with jonah a few years back.If They have to do reprints why not call it retro dandy like the retro beano pages (sadly missed)up until recently,& reprint stuff from 50s-70s but the art style wouldnt fit in with the modern dandy i suppose.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:If they have to do reprints why not call it retro dandy like the retro beano pages (sadly missed)up until recently,& reprint stuff from 50s-70s but the art style wouldnt fit in with the modern dandy i suppose.
I have thought for some time that Thomsons should use four complete pages, not necessarily the centre pages but certainly four together, to reprint outstanding strips from the fifties to the seventies. That alone could well lead to a real increase in sales because the fathers and grandfathers of the target readership might well consider the £1.50 or the £2.50 money well spent when they can then indulge to the full their feelings of nostalgia. Junior getting the comic as well they would see as a bonus. I can see a situation developing in which the adults might well buy The Dandy even if there were no children to consider, and when they are currently in the habit of refusing to buy the comic when a child asks them to, they may then, apparently reluctantly, agree, on the assumption that they will have at least four pages to enjoy when the target readership is safely tucked in for the night.

Regarding the art style possibly not fitting in with the modern Dandy, Bri, I don't think that would matter at all. Any strip presented as retro is, by its very nature, of its time and would be accepted as such. The key to its success would be if it makes today's children laugh.

Incidentally, I said fathers and grandfathers deliberately, rather than parents and grandparents, because, in my experience at least, women just don't do nostalgia.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have loads of early Puss n Boots strips in the original single-page format that have very rarely been reshown anywhere.......that's about 200 strips [1969-1973 as a one-page entity] . The bulk of this material [which is drawn in a timeless style] is sadly unshown to modern readers. The very early strips are crudely drawn, but it soon gets into it's stride.

I keep meaning to do a thread here on the early one-page Puss and Boots, I have well over 90 per cent of them.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:I know Jamie is prob flavour of the month at dandy towers as he does a lot of excellent work for dandy but i feel it is way to soon to be reprinting my own genie and space Raoul as they probably aint even 7-8 yrs old or there abouts
You're right. My Own Genie is from 2005. The Dandy's run of Space Raoul is from 2007, probably the last new strip to debut before the Xtreme revamp. Both are too recent. I haven't seen most of them before, but only because I wasn't a regular Dandy reader prior to last year's revamp. The two strips were probably chosen for reprint because Jamie designed the Dandy's graphics (the two main logos, the title banners, the Mailbag, the blue blobs, etc) so the strips match that style. A lot of pre-2004 material wouldn't.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Well the additional 4 pages includes 2 magazine style pages about games.

I hope these pages are to compliment and not eventually take over the heavy comic content.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They brought back Xtreme's games review page? I thought they got rid of all the magazine content when they relaunched last year. :(

dishes

Post by dishes »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I have loads of early Puss n Boots strips in the original single-page format that have very rarely been reshown anywhere........
Though a bunch of them are reprinted in the Sparky book 1980.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Digifiend wrote:They brought back Xtreme's games review page? I thought they got rid of all the magazine content when they relaunched last year. :(
On the plus side, Jamie Smart's produced a whole extra load of stock artwork for the purpose.

On the minus side, apparently they don't know the difference between an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo 64 controller. That tells you all you need to know about comics trying to get 'with it'.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

swirlythingy wrote: On the minus side, apparently they don't know the difference between an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo 64 controller. That tells you all you need to know about comics trying to get 'with it'.
It's just a generic piece of kit. Things don't have to be accurate in a cartoon universe.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Lew Stringer wrote:
swirlythingy wrote: On the minus side, apparently they don't know the difference between an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo 64 controller. That tells you all you need to know about comics trying to get 'with it'.
It's just a generic piece of kit. Things don't have to be accurate in a cartoon universe.
It's a mistake in the quiz section...go take a look...I didn't spot it (they all look the same to me) but my kids did...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Yes I noticed the XBox, N64 mistake.

I know its a slight mistake but things like that really should be more accurate to avoid confusion amongst readers. Still it doesn't exactly spoil the comic does it. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

For comparison:
Xbox
N64

Nothing alike. Ironically, the Xbox one looks more like a SNES or Playstation pad.