The Dandy Revamp 1 Year on

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

The Dandy Revamp 1 Year on

Post by Gilly »

This time next week will be one year since the first Dandy of the new revamp. Remember the excitement of last October when the Dandy was becoming a proper comic again. :D

So how do you all think the first year as gone now we have had a years worth of new Dandys? Has it lived up to your expectations or could it have been a lot better?

I think despite the sales The Dandy this past year has been brilliant. I have bought every issue since the revamp (I didn't but Xtreme much) and have enjoyed every issue. Personal favourite new strips of mine this year has been George Vs Dragon and Postman Prat. The fact that Korky the Cat has returned and has been strong with readers this year has also been a huge plus for me.

I have loved Harry Hills strip and don't think it deserves the stick it gets on here sometimes. I don't think the celebrity strips have hurt the comic either and myself and a mate have often laughed at how The Dandy has took the mess out of a certain celebrity.

The year however I feel has not been perfect particularly regarding 2 old favourites of mine. I do however love Jamie Smarts version of Desperate Dan but I wish it had an extra page like it did some issues in the Xtreme era instead of being restricted to one page. Similarly Bananaman has been a mixed bag this year. It's not a problem with Wayne Thompson's brilliant artwork it's just the stories again particularly the one page ones have sometimes felt a bit restricted.

I also preferred the covers before this summer as well particularly the ones springtime this year. As much as I have enjoyed the celebrity spoofs this year I don't feel they have a place on the cover. The only celebrity I feel should make the cover is Harry Hill as he along with some brilliant Desperate Dan and Bananaman has been involved in some of the best Dandy covers in a long time.

Anyway that is my review on the past year of the new Dandy and I think it's tragic the sales this brilliant comic is getting as it deserves far better.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The Dandy Revamp 1 Year on

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I picked up a copy of the Dandy about two weeks ago: it's sticking to it's new-found experimental guns, despite the forboding sales. I still claim it could simply be ahead of public taste and perceptions, and take some time to catch on....I certainly haven't written it off as yet.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I love the content. Writers and artists mainly at the top of their game having the time of their lives.

r3tr0_gam3r

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

Although I can't say much about how things were before the revamp (I only ever bought one or two Dandy xtreme's) I see a definite improvement now it is back to being more like a comic rather than a mix between that and a magazine. The celebrity bits annoy me occasionally, but it's not enough to stop me buying it. There have been some great stories here and there, but like Gilly said, you do get some which seem they would be better if they were longer. In particular, I too would like to see Bananaman and Desperate Dan with another page.
So some good bits and some not so good. But, I've just started up a new subscription which starts up next week, so you can tell I'm not angry or upset with anything about the current Dandy.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

AndyB wrote:I love the content. Writers and artists mainly at the top of their game having the time of their lives.
I couldn't have put it any better myself. The fun they are all having shows through the overall feel of the comic. :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Drawing or writing for the DANDY sure beats the vast majority of jobs.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Drawing or writing for the DANDY sure beats the vast majority of jobs.
I can definitely agree with that :D

But as a whole The Dandy feels the best it has been in a long time. The first revamp in my opinion felt like it was trying to hard to be cool and TV orintated and the Xtreme one didn't feel like the Dandy at all with it's magazine content.

I guess the best thing about this version of The Dandy is it's doing what a comic does best in being funny without any misguided attempts at being cool.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

arguably the celeb spoofs could be considered misguided attempts at being cool. But i agree with you the Dandy is better than it has been since before the dandy xtreme and before that when Jak was on the cover. I really disliked that character and for me he really summed up what was wrong with the Dandy at that time, and im glad he has gone from the comic.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I think Andy Fanton has been a great find for the Dandy he can only get better and better.......also love Lew Stringer working in the comic..
also I never bought Dandy Extreem..even though I did miss Jamie's Desperate Dan..
I've bought every issue of the new one..
also I like Harry Hill which is full of jokes in every panel and reminds me of Cheeky or for packed humour of Calamity James...

the whole comic is much more zany and fun..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Something tells me that the sales figures will lift a bit the next times the stats are released......

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Peter Gray wrote:I think Andy Fanton has been a great find for the Dandy he can only get better and better.
Awww, thank you, Peter! That's very kind indeed! I've LOVED working for the comic, and have found The Dandy to be great to work for - they let you get on with it and just have fun, which I think shows in everyone's work for the title, just lots of talented folk putting a lot of love into making comics that are consistently funny. I'd honestly still really enjoy the comic even if I wasn't involved, it just feels fresh and wonderfully barmy!

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Andy Fanton is a great find for The Dandy, and Wilbur Dawbarn and Alexander Matthews are terrific finds for The Dandy! Put these three together with the longer established Jamie Smart and Nigel Auchterlounie, and I think we have a new Fab Five of genuinely funny Dandy comic stars.

Weak points for me are Harry Hill (often reading like the author has just Googled a load of jokes and strung them together), Postman Prat, Korky, Bananaman (none of these are well-written; sorry), the one-off celeb strips, and, I'm afraid, the mini-strips, almost all of which are a waste of space (space which could be taken up by another whole pager by, well, maybe Alexander Matthews: he needs another page!)

But to finish on a positive note, it really is turning into a great comic now: Nuke Noodle and Rocky's Horror Show are brilliant new additions (long may they run!), there's a lot of laughs per issue now... I'd say we're up to maybe 75% funny: and that's pretty good!

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

By and large, I've resisted the temptation to give the strips in the modern Dandy a good going-over, firstly because I thought natural selection would do its stuff sooner or later, and latterly because I felt the comic needed all the support it could get. The first anniversary, however, seems long enough to wait.

If the strips in the modern Dandy do have a fault, it's that they've recruited a large band of great writers and great artists, but all too rarely do these two groups overlap. While simplistic styles can work, and have worked, there are some whose work edges over the line from 'abstract' to 'childish' (although these are getting fewer), regardless of the often excellent quality of the scripts. Similarly, there are a few too many extremely talented artists producing great drawings which could have been that much better if only they'd had the attentions of an equally talented comic strip writer for my liking.

I've never been a fan of Alexander Matthews' artwork, although his writing is impressively bizarre (the Napoleon one was one of the Dandy's funniest recent strips, which is saying something), but others are starting to grow on me - I had doubts about Wilbur Dawburn when Mr Meecher started, but I've since got used to both writing and art and I now think it's now one of the comic's strongest strips, the second series being even better than the first.

Andy Fanton's stellar successes in both writing and art are well-documented, both by Dragon's almost weekly appearances on the reader page and by the large extent to which his style appears to have directly inspired those working on the Wizzo comic. Jamie Smart remains in the unfortunate position of being highly popular amongst those at whom his work is aimed (children), and highly unpopular amongst those at whom it is not (adults), with the latter group exercising total control over its fate, which (judging by other accounts on this forum) sums up the whole comic's problems, really.

On the flip side, one thing common to all of Nik Holmes' work is the frequent total absence of anything resembling a punchline, although some have been better than others - Clown Wars brought a lot of inherent humour along with its concept, which was largely absent from Stan Helsing; his version of Fiddle O'Diddle, meanwhile, was the worst I have ever read, although I have heard people say the exact opposite, which perhaps proves once again that all I loved about the previous (in this case Tom Paterson's) version was simultaneously all others hated. Perhaps peculiarly, my favourite page by him was his recent Madvertisement showing Yoda in the bath, which I thought was one of the best advert spoofs in the comic so far.

Bone-O was another one which was visually sumptuous, but lacking in the script department; it could have been a successful strip if only it had been a two-man job (although I have found it improves on a second reading). A disquieting proportion of (the also excellently drawn) Yore's punchlines seemed to rely merely upon ludicrous quantities of slapstick gore, although this was nevertheless amusing to a certain extent, particularly when one imagined Paul Dacre's face if ever he caught a glimpse of the 'Real ladies go SQUISH!' page. Chris McGhie's work might be tolerable if only it didn't all eventually turn out to be an excuse to print pictures of celebrities, and I don't think he'll ever get over the bad feeling over both those summer covers and rebranding Phil's Finger, which lost the poll by a country mile, as Cheryl's Mole, which was more of the same but even worse.

Harry Hill seems set to become a new generation's Calamity James, with battle lines cleanly drawn between those who love and hate him. I've always found myself in the former camp with both stories, in this case simply because of the sheer gag density which gives the Harry Hill pages more laughs per square inch than almost anything else. (Yes, you can say they're all looked up on Google, but you can go a long way to find the same joke executed in a half-decent fashion. Probably 90% of the jokes in the strip have appeared on the reader pages a minimum of five times, but were they ever funny then? There may be no original puns left in the universe, but conventional context-free question-and-answer jokes stopped being funny a century ago when humans evolved beyond finding something they knew they were expected to find funny funny. Harry Hill puts them into new contexts which succeed in catching you off guard and making them funny again, and that's what you're paying for.) I hate celeb-worship as much as the next man, but at least the situation has improved since the early strips and at least it occasionally features people who - shock! - have never had anything to do with the X Factor. In fact, this week's strip doesn't have one celebrity in it, apart from Harry himself - albeit with half of the last page taken up with hanging lampshades on this fact.

If there's one other strip which can rival the per-page LOL value-for-money of Harry Hill, it's the comic's other licensed property - the Bogies. The number of panels on this page (or even two pages) just keeps creeping up and up, and the scripts are at an all-time high (with the usual caveat that the quality of the art remains questionable). Nigel Auchterlounie's other great work was, perhaps strangely, on Corporal Clott in the 2012 Dandy Annual - I wouldn't mind seeing that back in the weekly comic. He's had his misses too, though - his version of Puss'n'Boots in the same publication was jarringly awful, mini-strip Jibber and Steve is floundering after a relatively strong start, and then there were regrettable experiments such as the Gleeks. (Night of the Living Glee in the 2010 Christmas special was very good, but ultimately a bit of a single-gag concept which should have been allowed to go out on a high.)

I feel the mini-strips are going through a bad patch at the moment, what with 'Knock! Knock!', 'Are you ready for the question, Noel?', and similar dross dominating. Earlier in the year there was a much superior pool of comics visible, but all the best strips, such as 'Saint Evil's', 'Off the Vine' and 'Newsblast with Rocky O'Flair', seem to have disappeared.

Stu Munro's been a bit of a mixed bag. Justin Beaver was good rising to excellent; Tiny's Temper was, erm, not; as for the mini-strips, Bear Behind started bad and ended relatively good, and Turtle Wipeout seems set to follow the same trajectory. Steve Beckett has been even more mixed. I seem to be highly unusual in disliking his artwork - I find his character layout leaves much to be desired, often obscuring the action in strips like Daredevil Dad. Possibly because of the more restricted environment (and the absence of that enormous in-house lettering), his first mini-strip, Ray Fears, looks somewhat better than Sea Dogs.

As for Lew Stringer's strips, of Postman Prat and Kid Cops, I slightly prefer Kid Cops overall, but only slightly - my absolute favourite strip of his was the Prat finishing with the 'this way up' punchline, which ranks highly in the list of my favourite comic gags of all time (and it's quite telling how many other entries in that list also come from the post-2010 Dandy). Almost unusually among the Dandy's new artist intake, he was already well-established in traditional comics (and had already made it into the Beano two years earlier), and has one of the most representative (by humour standards) and least off-the-wall styles among them; however, I do get the distinct impression, looking at some of the later Prats, that the artwork quality is slowly getting worse and more rushed-looking, but it could be a peculiarity of this strip (never exactly typical of his style) as his work elsewhere doesn't seem to have suffered. Along with Steve Beckett, he was the most recent artist to switch to lettering his own work, with the usual noticeable improvement in layout. I think he's one of the few remaining artists never to have been represented on the mini-strip pages, and I'd be quite interested to see this remedied.

Have I missed anyone? Probably. The number of characters, scriptwriters and artists that the new Dandy has gone through in its first twelve months is probably a lot more than some other comics managed in their lifetime, but I fear the pace of change is slowing down - time was when every issue contained at least one new strip, even if it was just a mini-strip, but the much-heralded experimental revamp seems, if anything, to be getting stuck in a rut. High-risk, high-reward commissions from complete or relative unknowns have slowed dramatically, with new characters (when they do appear) prejudiced towards either second series of previously successful characters or new creations by artists proved previously successful.

It's not as if there isn't enough talent out there, but shortly after the floodgates opened one day a few months short of October 2010, it seems they slammed tight shut again. Experimentation, the message goes, is over. What we need now is a stable roster of characters appearing each week ad infinitum, with regular cancellations and ever so slightly less regular new commissions, because it seems to have worked for the Beano. Yes, of course the Beano has Dennis the Menace to prop it up and we don't, nor do we have the Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, Roger the Dodger, Billy Whizz or any of those other pop-cultural icons, but we're going to treat the comic as if we do anyway and hopefully reality will mould to fit our expectations.

The Beano and the Dandy aren't the same, and I sincerely hope they never will be. There needs to be a venue for experimentation, because otherwise the comic will cease to renew itself and gradually sink further and further into obscurity. And it has memorable and amusing characters who are quite capable of taking over the world, but they both aren't being given the chance and never will be if the revamp fails. It's sadly telling that the only characters the Dandy Shop (itself almost impossible to find, being linked from neither the comic website nor the DC Thomson corporate website, unlike the Beano in both cases) mentions - Desperate Dan, Bananaman and Korky, discounting Black Bob - are also the only ones considered even vaguely iconic enough to survive the chainsaw taken to the cast list pre-revamp. You can say all you like about DC Thomson not having the gigantic market saturation budget of Ben 10 and the Simpsons, but you can't deny it's not even trying.

All the difficult market conditions in the world can't force the Dandy to willingly destroy itself if it so desires, and if it doesn't want to be an experimental comic, it'd better hurry up and learn to love those characters which have already made it onto its pages. Where are the Dragon plushies? When will we see Postman Prat-branded stationary? What about Mr Meecher hoodies, Yore board games, Dave the Squirrel car accessories and and Pre-Skool Prime Minister cake mix? Why has the comic's own annual hastily distanced itself from the innovative goings-on at the very comic it is supposed to help sell? Why is the whole comic in denial about its own nature, and deeply embarrassed to admit it isn't like it was in the 1960s any more? Why are conservative parents allowed to buy the comic, read it, and ditch it because it's different, while more open-minded ones are put off by the thought of a crusty old publication which hasn't moved with the times?

So, in conclusion: the Dandy needs to be more experimental, like it was in the first place, otherwise it'll stagnate; everything else associated with the Dandy needs to promote the Dandy and not a half-remembered rose-tinted vision of a couple of Dandy characters, which is just counterproductive in the type of person it persuades to buy the comic; and regarding the comic itself, I'd like to see complementary sets of comic creators who are each better at one side of the business than the other paired off to give us the best of both worlds. Mike D and Nigel A's Bone-O, anyone?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Although I'm not a Dandy reader myself, I have, for the most part, been impressed by the artwork, writing and style of what I've seen from the comic since

Jamie Smart's work continues to shine (and that's from someone above the Dandy's intended age bracket). I still think Desperate Dan is his best work right now though - it's brilliant as the humour is so wacky, but I have enjoyed Pre-Skool PM and Arena of Awesome as well.

The individual artist who has impressed me most since the Dandy revamp is Wayne Thompson, who is now drawing his strips in a very different style from before. I personally much prefer his newer style, as I find it more cartoony and it has more life than his earlier work. I personally quite like his Bananaman, though it's a shame he doesn't get two pages more often, as one page isn't long enough for him in my opinion.

I find Phil Corbett's Korky up and down. Some strips I've found very funny, others seem to have wasted their gag potential. I don't like his new appearance, because it has made him unrecognisable from the familiar version. Of Lew's two strips, I prefer Postman Prat, though I do like Kid Cops as well.

I agree that Andy Fanton has been a great find for the Dandy. I've liked all three of his strips so far, and in my view George vs Dragon is one of the best strips in the comic. If the Dandy is going to have a fixed permanent cast, then I'd say they have to be included in it.

I also like Wilbur Dawburn's style on Mr Meecher, which is not traditional but I find it suits the strip very well, and probably more importantly the stories are funny. Alexander Matthews' artwork I personally found took more getting used to, but again it works and both Nuke Noodle and Robot on the Run have been great. The concept of The Bogies shouldn't appeal to me at all as I'm not really a fan of gross stuff, but I actually like it - the writing is very creative and funny.

I really haven't seen enough of Nik Holmes' work to have an opinion on it, and the same goes for Yore. Bone-O I haven't seen that much of either, but I liked the look of it. I do quite like Steve Beckett's style, though I have to say my favourite of his Dandy strips so far was Daredevil Dad - I would have been happy if that had won the Strictly Come Laughing poll even though I also liked Harry and his Hippo. I think Justin Beaver was the better of Stu Munro's strips so far, aided by the character cameos he incorporated in each story.

I think it's fair to say the mini-strips are mixed, but then they're not intended to be the comic's main draw in any case. Some of them, such as Dave the Squirrel, I find amusing and creative, others such as Knock, Knock and Are you ready for the question, Noel? are boring and repetitive (certainly not 'hilarious' and 'very exciting', as a certain member claimed :P ).

Now onto the celebs bit. I quite like Harry Hill, which as others have said is packed with jokes on top of being drawn very well by NP each week, and I haven't got a problem with Little Celebs either - I find it quite creative and it has featured a wide variety of famous people, not just the obvious ones. However, the less said the better for me about this summer's covers and the celebrity pages. I haven't liked Chris McGhie's Dandy work since the revamp, Phil's Finger wasn't to my liking and it was then brought back as Cheryl's Mole, which was even more terrible.

I think the length of this post (which is a far from complete list of Dandy strips since the revamp) shows just how creative a comic the Dandy has been over the past twelve months and I hope this continues.
Last edited by Jonny Whizz on 22 Oct 2011, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Some good, intelligent analysis.

Swirlything, I understand what you mean about the comic settling down a bit now, but personally I not only think that's inevitable, I'm also pleased to see it. The quality strips are sticking. That's surely the only way the comic is going to produce a new generation of iconic characters.
As long as there's dead wood in the comic (and as I made clear earlier, I think there is still quite a bit of that) there should always be room for new strips and experiments. One day, just maybe, the whole comic will be packed to the rafters with terrific material, not a dud strip in sight. We're still some way off that, but we're getting closer.

I agree with a lot of what you say, Swirlything, but on Harry Hill we are divided. You actually get it spot on when you say:
swirlythingy wrote:Probably 90% of the jokes in the strip have appeared on the reader pages a minimum of five times, but were they ever funny then? There may be no original puns left in the universe, but conventional context-free question-and-answer jokes stopped being funny a century ago when humans evolved beyond finding something they knew they were expected to find funny funny.
I couldn't agree more! But where we strongly disagree is this bit...
swirlythingy wrote:Harry Hill puts them into new contexts which succeed in catching you off guard and making them funny again, and that's what you're paying for.)
No, it doesn't. It doesn't catch me off guard in the slightest, because it's exactly what I'm expecting. It just makes me groan (when I can even be bothered to read it, which isn't that often)

I'm surprised neither of you mention Rocky's Horror Show, as for me it's a new strip that's had an immediate impact. It has the artist's usual excellent writing, but he seems to have upped his game on the artwork compared to Meecher. Swamp Bloke in particular was a thing of beauty!

I'm also surprised I forgot to mention Yore: another cracking strip, visually delightful, well-written. I'd include the Etherington brothers in my Fab Five, except it rather mucks it up, especially as there are two of them; The Super Seven?