The Art and History of the Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Re: The Art and History of the Dandy

Post by dandy mad »

Looks nice any idea of the page count? I'm hoping 200+ but I doubt it...

NP

Post by NP »

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but those expecting a History of the Beano-sized tome would do well to carefully read this thread again. Think more along the lines of those 50 Years of the Beano-Dandy books.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

144 pages?

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

According to my flyer, it will be published on August 6th.

It will be in hardback, 285 x 229mm and 288 pages long. An overview is given below.

"The Art and History of the Dandy is a chronicle of 75 years of comic violence and madcap antics from the likes of Desperate Dan, Korky the Cat, Beryl the Peil, Keyhole Kate and other intrepid figures who have long since left the comic.

The Dandy first hit the streets on December 3rd 1937, six months before its sister comic The Beano. By the 1980s, it was the world’s largest selling comic with a circulation of around 2 million.

The late Albert Barnes, who edited the comic from 1937 to 1980, summed up its philosophy; "There is never any real violence, only the cartoon kind to be found in Tom and Jerry where the victim always springs back unharmed. It gives children a chance to cock a harmless snook at authority, and sublimate their desires to kick against the traces." Barnes was also behind Desperate Dan, who became the Dandy's biggest start.

Talking about his cowboy creation, Barnes said; "He is to be the roughest, toughest cowboy. He has to be the strongest man in the world; a man who can chew iron and spit rust". Desperate Dan was never happier than when confronted by his daily diet of cow pie, a species of dish which involved the entire animal, including horns and tail, protruding through the pastry. Dan was eventually stopped from eating his favourite dish become of the emergence of BSE (or mad cow disease).

There was a similar crisis in 1997 when Desperate Dan sailed off with the Spice Girls after striking oil and temporarily retired from the pages of the Dandy .
There was such an outcry, including a Bring Dan Back campaign, threats of boycott, and protests from as far away as Australia, Saudi Arabia and the United States, that the hero was swiftly restored.

Changing values caused Morris Heggie, editor in the 1990s and now scriptwriter for The Broons and Oor Wullie, to say: “Desperate Dan is not now quite the same old desperado that he was. He is now quite laid-back in comparison with the old days. At one time he used to smoke a dustbin full of rubbish through a drainpipe…What is important though, is that, unlike in real life, the kids always win in The Dandy. That’s our recipe for anarchy.

Features;

• 288pp gift book chronicling the world’s longest-running comic
• Fully illustrated, colour throughout
• Extensive endmatter, with detailed archive history of each comic with notes on artist and writers
• Notes on what happened each year; changes to characters and how they appeared
• Produced by the same team as The History of the Beano
• Media Support

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

288 pages wow! Hurry up August...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Like the year by year and artists and writers info...
It sounds very good..

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

booksandcomics wrote:Dan was eventually stopped from eating his favourite dish become of the emergence of BSE (or mad cow disease).

There was a similar crisis in 1997 when Desperate Dan sailed off with the Spice Girls after striking oil and temporarily retired from the pages of the Dandy .
There was such an outcry, including a Bring Dan Back campaign, threats of boycott, and protests from as far away as Australia, Saudi Arabia and the United States, that the hero was swiftly restored.
:headbash:

They're joking, right? It's got to be a knowing nod and a wink to tabloid hysteria, hasn't it...?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

NP wrote:I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but those expecting a History of the Beano-sized tome would do well to carefully read this thread again. Think more along the lines of those 50 Years of the Beano-Dandy books.
Sounds like you spoke too soon. It's double the page count of the Classic Beano and Dandy series (as 50 Golden Years is now called).

And I'm glad to see that "extensive endmatter" bullet point, that'd be the updated Dandy Monster Index then.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

I really look forward to it, but I do hope they dedicate a section to the 2010 revamp - so much has happened since October 27th 2010 - there's so much to write about!
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That'll get a few pages I reckon, but it won't be a long chapter like say, the 1930s. And the strips up to the end of 2011 should be in that index, if the History of the Beano is any indication.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Am I the only one disappointed with the cover? Looks like a ten minute cut and paste job.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The cover is a bit better than the history of the Beano book which in my opinion is a bit naff but the contents is top drawer so fingers crossed the Dandy one won't disappoint either.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The cover is no worse than Comics in the Classroom, Winter Games, Heroes, and Celebrate Dennis the Menace, the last four Classic Beano and Dandy books. Three of them used the same copy and pasted panels technique, and Winter Games frankly has the worst cover design of the whole series.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Must admit the wrap around cover is pretty dire

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

I must admit that, although I do like the cover, a similar version to the History of the Beano would have been better.