The Art and History of the Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: The Art and History of the Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

DC Thomson Shop have a special offer on.
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Product ... 2537).aspx
You get The Art and History of the Dandy, and the final issue of the print comic, for £25.49. That's the same price as the two items separately, but there is one advantage to the deal. The book is signed by the last two editors, Craig Graham and Morris Heggie.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I've found a typo on page 286 in the list of post-1985 artists - made me smile.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Speaking of which...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 561&type=1
Andy Fanton noticed his name was wrongly mentioned in the index as Anton Fanton, although it's correct earlier in the book. Oops!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

We're talking about the same error :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, I don't have it yet, so I didn't know the page number.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bloody profiteers! Some jerks are selling it through Amazon for more than double the RRP!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new
Found a site with a couple of reviews:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1595 ... -the-dandy

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Bloody profiteers! Some jerks are selling it through Amazon for more than double the RRP!
If you still haven't got a copy, Digi, if I were you I'd buy it now before it doubles again. There's nothing we can do about market forces.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Beano version turned up in the remainder bookshops for about £6.99 so will not the Dandy version?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Probably. You're right, I know of two such shops here (used to be three but one of them closed down a couple of weeks ago) and one of them did have The History of the Beano. I think it was about a fiver, not that it mattered since I already had it.

:oops: I'll be honest, in 2011, I saw The Simpsons World (worth £95) in one of these discount shops (they still have some copies left now, more than a year later). I was going to go back for it another day when I had the £20 on me, but my mum told me not to bother. Turned out my sister had already bought it for me for Christmas. That's the reason I didn't buy Art and History straight away. So I was waiting until after Christmas, but it was sold out by then. Also, if it had been in stock still, Waterstones probably would've discounted it. I picked up the Very Best of Black Bob after spotting it on such an offer, having not previously seen it in the shops at all.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Probably. You're right, I know of two such shops here (used to be three but one of them closed down a couple of weeks ago) and one of them did have The History of the Beano. I think it was about a fiver, not that it mattered since I already had it.

:oops: I'll be honest, in 2011, I saw The Simpsons World (worth £95) in one of these discount shops (they still have some copies left now, more than a year later). I was going to go back for it another day when I had the £20 on me, but my mum told me not to bother. Turned out my sister had already bought it for me for Christmas. That's the reason I didn't buy Art and History straight away. So I was waiting until after Christmas, but it was sold out by then. Also, if it had been in stock still, Waterstones probably would've discounted it. I picked up the Very Best of Black Bob after spotting it on such an offer, having not previously seen it in the shops at all.

It seems that anything Dandy-related has sold out fast or increased in value since the announcement of the weekly ending. For example, this time last year the annuals were available on Amazon cheaply but The Dandy Annual 2013 is now listed at higher than its original price. As Phoenix said, market forces unfortunately.

SID

Post by SID »

At long last, I am getting the The Dandy Collector's Pack for my birthday. Along with the remastered Hotspur 1966 Book for Boys and Commando 50 Years - A Home for Heroes.

Brillant. Roll on my birthday. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I've just re-read this amazing book as I was feeling nostalgic towards the Dandy as we approach 10 years since the comic's closure.

Overall the book is amazing, I love the details on all the artists and the inner workings of the Dandy office and the reprints of classic strips.
My nitpicks though:
Its clear from reading it that they spent more of the budget on the early years of the Dandy then the later ones. They reprinted a few of the early issues in whole, with a page for each page but when they got to 1993 and full colour they must have run out of pages and you can't read some of them they're so tiny.
I also wished they'd given more pages to the Jocks and the Geordies and Beryl the Peril.
Though the big elephant in the room is that it was published just before the decision to axe the print version of the Dandy and the book contains very little hints of that and isn't critical at all of some of the more xtreme changes to the Dandy later in its life.

Does anyone have more information about the political Corporal Clott cartoon from 1966 that is mentioned in the book?