The Art and History of the Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Re: The Art and History of the Dandy

Post by dandy mad »

It's now up for pre-order on Amazon for 20 quid.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

booksandcomics wrote:I must admit that, although I do like the cover, a similar version to the History of the Beano would have been better.
booksandcomics wrote:Features;

• 288pp gift book chronicling the world’s longest-running comic
• Fully illustrated, colour throughout
• Extensive endmatter, with detailed archive history of each comic with notes on artist and writers
• Notes on what happened each year; changes to characters and how they appeared
• Produced by the same team as The History of the Beano
• Media Support
I was originally hoping for a volume matching The History Of The Beano for size but, in the current financial climate, Thomsons are simply being pragmatic, as we all are presumably. Furthermore, if I am reading the above blurb accurately, I fail to see how The History Of The Dandy will be offering us less than its predecessor. Admittedly there will be 64 fewer pages, it will be 7 cm shorter and 2 cm narrower but, if the font size for the text is also adjusted downwards, the content of the two books will be a perfect match. If we avoid giving booksandcomics's word similar what I seem to remember was its original meaning of exactly the same, and allow its modern interpretation of roughly the same, we can say that, to all intents and purposes, we will actually have a matching pair. The company can therefore be congratulated, and thanked, in advance.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Some things I really enjoyed of the HOTB were the features of the PR stunts pulled off. ( like Bash Street Kids revamp ) I also liked the different pages for different artists and the character index in the back. It would be great if these things also featured in the new book. :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Dunder Ed wrote:I also liked the different pages for different artists and the character index in the back. It would be great if these things also featured in the new book.
If you take the trouble to read through this thread from the beginning, Dunder Ed, you will get a pretty clear idea of the book's contents.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Mine is the post should get it tomorrow :D
365514384.104266.jpg

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Mine just arrived. Here's a quick peek. It covers the entire history and brings us right up to date. (Even The Dark Newt gets a quick mention, and that only started three weeks ago.) I'll post a review on my blog at a later date when I have time to read the book:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -look.html

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Here's a quick peek.
I've decided not to peek because I've bought the book. It should be here by tomorrow. I can then come to it fresh, with no preconceptions or hopes already dashed.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I will get this, but won't open until Christmas day-----only [nearly] 5 months to wait!!!!!!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Rab! Would you kindly answer my last message to you - PLEASE!
A Face unclouded by thought.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Just opened mine from its cardboard prison looks good...
365623509.942975.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A cracking-looking cover, clearly reflective of the days were sales were very high. I look forwards to seeing this, [I'll deliberately avoid looking through it in the shops] although I expect it's a bit too optimistic to expect BEEZER or TOPPER volumes a few years down the line......

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:A cracking-looking cover, clearly reflective of the days were sales were very high. I look forwards to seeing this, [I'll deliberately avoid looking through it in the shops] although I expect it's a bit too optimistic to expect BEEZER or TOPPER volumes a few years down the line......

You won't be dissapointed its a cracker and a lot better than The Histry Of The Beano well I will say that.... :wink:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The index is up to date as far as two weeks ago (first appearance of the Dark Newt) whereas the Beano's index for 2008 was incomplete (only mentions Olaff the Madlander, and it doesn't even get the spelling right - since the 70th birthday issue was featured in the last chapter, the one-off Biffo in that issue should've been mentioned, as should the second series of Fred's Bed, which had already replaced Olaff by then). Clearly they prepared the index closer to the publication date this time. I can't judge the rest of the book yet (I will definitely be getting it) but the index certainly seems to be better (i.e. more accurate and up to date) than History of the Beano's, which also made the mistake of saying that issues from 1998-2008 were still 24 pages, when in fact it increased to 32 in September 1998 (it's a minor slight though, and overall it was a good book).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Of course, I suspect that the real reason for dandy mad's partiality can be found in his name! :)

- Phil R.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

philcom55 wrote:...Of course, I suspect that the real reason for dandy mad's partiality can be found in his name! :)

- Phil R.
Yep that's the reason plus I've always thought The Beano to be a bit too polished around the edges where The Dandy was a lot more anarchic and raw unlike the polished and neat Beano