Dandy comics post 1970

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Dandy comics post 1970

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The DANDY was really good in the early 70s---great stuff from Paddy [some thought he was better skilled than Watkins regarding adventure fare] ; also we had John Geering entering the fray with PC BIG EARS and MONKEY BIZNESS.

Around 1975, the 'rot' really set in, I mean, repetitive, 'safe ' stuff, and it's no wonder that more pleasure-seeking comics-readers searched elsewhere [in my case: SHIVER and SHAKE/ MONSTER FUN, and assorted other sweetmeats].

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

1/11/75 introduced the Jocks and the Geordies, Rah Rah Randall, Peter's Pocket Grandpa, and I forget who else. I got the chance to read it a few years ago.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Dunder Ed wrote:For me I have not as much interest in the Dandy after about 1990. I think that the 60s and 70s were the golden years. The 60s perhaps for the artwork with Watkins and Baxendale but in the 70s it was more about the standard of characters all the greats were around in the 70s in opinion.
Leo Baxendale didn't work for The Dandy in the 1960s (or any decade of the comic, if memory serves me right).
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Lew Stringer wrote:Leo Baxendale didn't work for The Dandy in the 1960s (or any decade of the comic, if memory serves me right).
He did, apparently, draw for the 1957 annual.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

swirlythingy wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Leo Baxendale didn't work for The Dandy in the 1960s (or any decade of the comic, if memory serves me right).
He did, apparently, draw for the 1957 annual.
Thanks for the reminder.

Okay, apart from one contents page illo, he didn't draw anything for The Dandy. :up:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Dunder Ed wrote:For me I have not as much interest in the Dandy after about 1990. I think that the 60s and 70s were the golden years. The 60s perhaps for the artwork with Watkins and Baxendale but in the 70s it was more about the standard of characters all the greats were around in the 70s in opinion.
Leo Baxendale didn't work for The Dandy in the 1960s (or any decade of the comic, if memory serves me right).
Minnie, Bash Street and Plum for Beano, Banana Bunch for Beezer, that's four strips in one week at least, from 1956 to 1962, so when would he have ever found the time to do material for the Dandy? I don't know if Albert Barnes ever tried to get him to do anything, but it seems he was just too busy.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

In the 80s, even a few Editors agreed that the Dandy had long gone stale, and new input and directions were needed.

Dave Torrie took over the reins around 1982, with the reprints of the Desperate One [they're very good, but repeats-of-repeats is not always a healthy thing] being replaced by welcome new Dan work from Mr Harrison....

Later on of course, stuff like Cuddles and Dimples increased the appeal factor, with it's slightly subversive humour. I actually started buying the comic again in the late 80s, I felt it was starting to become 'fun' once again------I have no real love for the mid-70s to very early 80s model, though, I thought reading it was like wading through stodgy porridge.

I've mentioned this quote on here before, but there's loads of new members on here now who may be unfamiliar with this.

Here's a comment from a D C T Editor [who I won't name], that to me, sums up in a nutshell how the DANDY stood in the late 70s/early 80s:

' one cauld winter, and the DANDY'S feenished'.

This is a reference to many of the comics' artists and writers, who were well past or approaching pensionable age. The reference, of course, reflects the fragile state of affairs the comic's fortunes depended on......

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I would guess Bill Holroyd, George Martin and Eric Roberts being the oldies.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Not forgetting Jimmy Hughes, Hugh Morren and Charlie Grigg. Of those ones, only Charlie is still alive.

I found a Belfast Telegraph replica of 29/11/75 (the previous week's replica is also on my files), which is as follows:-

Korky - Charlie Grigg
Smasher - Hugh Morren
Dan - Dudley Watkins
Peter's pocket Grandpa - Ron Spencer
Dirty Dick - Eric Roberts (possibly reprint - entirely lettered by Eric)
Tomtin and Buster Brass - Jack Prout
Rah-Rah Randall - Ken Harrison
Jack Silver - Bill Holroyd
Izzy Skint - George Martin
Jocks and Geordies - Jimmy Hughes
Winker Watson - Eric Roberts
Screwy Driver - Bill Holroyd
Desperate Dawg - George Martin
Bully Beef and Chips - Jimmy Hughes

The other side of that is that apart from Jack, Eric and (obviously) Dudley, all of the above artists were providing new work for the weekly Dandy into the 1980s. Ron worked until the turn of the century, and Ken is still drawing Minnie to this day.

Of course, it's entirely fair to point out that of the Beano artists the same week, only David Sutherland hasn't retired. Vic Neill, Malcolm Judge, Bob Nixon, are all dead, while Gordon Bell, Jim Petrie, Jimmy Glen, Ron Spencer, Bob McGrath, Tom Lavery, and Dave Gudgeon are all retired, staff artists Dave and Jimmy having lasted the longest by some measure barring Jim's Fatty Fudge adventure.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

No really structure to this sorry! Just random thoughts...

Only due to nostalgia and from a child of the early 90s memories, I adore the Dan revamp in the 80s. I prefer reading the classic Dan in my 40s, 50s and 60s comics under the stunning blue banner title with the bell boy.

I find the early 80s with the yellow top a bit of a struggle, enjoying more the later revamp to the white version. I think it went to better paper quality and non A4 size in early 1988 which still remain my favourite issue but solely due to childhood memories!

That said, I've loved moving backwards through the years in reading the issues. For me, I love finding out how certain characters I loved in the early 90s made their debut in the 80s and 70s! I guess I'm in for even more treats when I get complete year runs from the 60s (my next collecting exhibition!)

As for Cuddles and Dimples (momentarily forgotten which one was originally Dandy and the other Hoot), did anyone else notice that when they first joined forces, both sets of parents were drawn in the strips (were they the same artist?). After a few weeks though they disappeared! Was it a subtle adoption? :-)

Going back to the 70s with Peters pocket grandpa, I finally managed to get hold of the issue which Peter and his Grandpa first appeared in. I was a little disappointed as I was expecting to see a full size grandpa pre gypsy curse!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Cuddles was originally in Nutty (from 1981, was on the back cover after Bananaman left that spot for the centre spread), moved to Hoot as it's cover star when that launched as Nutty's replacement, then moved to Dandy after Hoot merged with it. Dimples started in Dandy in 1984. Both were always drawn by Barrie Appleby, the current Roger the Dodger artist, until Nigel Parkinson took over in 2004.

I've read the Peter's Pocket Grandpa origin story, it was reprinted in one of the retro books.

dishes

Post by dishes »

booksandcomics wrote: As for Cuddles and Dimples (momentarily forgotten which one was originally Dandy and the other Hoot), did anyone else notice that when they first joined forces, both sets of parents were drawn in the strips (were they the same artist?). After a few weeks though they disappeared! Was it a subtle adoption? :-)
This is mentioned and explained in The Art And History Of The Dandy, along with an anecdote about Barrie Appleby's mischief-making. The sudden switch annoyed me at the time (aged eight), though I can accept that them living in the same house would have made writing scripts easier.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Sadly not got Art and History of the Dandy, been told that I have to wait until Christmas! I will have to dig out my comics now, I do vaguely remember seeing the parents talking to each other over the fence meaning they were neighbours!

In a seperate update, just noticed this comic from 2006, issue number 3361 April 29th. Jak is holding a 1966 issue in his hands on the cover and apparently the free gift that week was a "1966 World Cup Mini Comic". The base of the comic says "Read the Dandy that hit the streets the very day England won the world cup in 1966"

Does anyone know if this means a mini replica of the 1966 Dandy issue was given away? Has anyone seen this free gift or know of it?

Very eager to get hold of it or at least see it!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/dandy2006.jpg/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I don't have that one, but I think that was printed half size and was actually part of the comic. The Dandy in the 60s was 16 pages, so it would've taken up 8 pages of the 36 page comic.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Yes, I have (had?) it, and it includes a Jimmy Hughes Big Head and Thick Head.