Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Post by Lew Stringer »

starscape wrote:Do you really think they would have tried Xtreme if the Dandy wasn't in trouble? Everything DCT have done, from Jak, to Xtreme, to Harry Hill have all been to try to bring up circulation figures to a level that would allow it to survive. DCT didn't want it to die in a plastic bag, they wanted it to thrive and grow.
Quoted for truth. This is very important to remember. It's been mentioned here countless times over the past few years but we still get the same blame game attributed to revamps, bagging, etc.

Bagging comics costs publishers money. They do it out of necessity to compete with other titles. That said, when was the last time Dandy was bagged? Christmas if I recall correctly. Eight months ago. Yet some people online (and I'm not talking about anyone here) are still saying "if they dropped the plastic tat and bags it'd sell better". Well, maybe if those people actually bought it every week, because obviously they don't, this news item wouldn't exist.

Anyway, back to the drawing board to work on a Dandy strip...
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So they're still commissioning new material then? Doesn't sound like the actions of a publication about to fold, although DCT do have form I'm afraid (Classics and the Fun-Sizes, both closed with no warning). See, I said the Guardian jumped the gun. They should've waited, then posted the news once closure was confirmed, if indeed it is closing.

Unless this was just a publicity stunt to boost sales, of course. :coat:

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

If it is a publicity stunt DCT is deffinately getting the attention it is seeking.... :coat:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I think that the scariest thing is that the cut-off point used to be 50,000 (Please correct me if I am wrong) and whenever a comic dipped below that magic 50k mark, then it was "Good News next week pals!" time. And now we are looking at sales of 8k a week!

I know that the Dandy is no longer my cup of tea, but then again I am not core audience and have not been since Jimmy Carter was President. (I am now officially old. :cry: :coat: ) I really do hope that it limps through to the 75th Anniversary at least, but to my mind, DCT have pulled out all the stops and they are trying to keep a brand name going until the very last. Please make it through Dandy...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:So they're still commissioning new material then?
I don't know. I'm drawing from scripts I wrote the other day.
Digifiend wrote: Unless this was just a publicity stunt to boost sales, of course. :coat:
I wouldn't think so, but I hope it has boosted sales.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:I think that the scariest thing is that the cut-off point used to be 50,000 (Please correct me if I am wrong) and whenever a comic dipped below that magic 50k mark, then it was "Good News next week pals!" time.
I think it was even higher than that in the 1960s. Something like 125,00 to 150,000 was the danger level. Different production methods today obviously.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

What I don't get is why choose September as the month when the final issue is to be released? I know it's only a rumour but how do the folk that are spreading said rumour know it'll be September? I don't believe that one at all....

Raven

Post by Raven »

dandy mad wrote:What I don't get is why choose September as the month when the final issue is to be released? I know it's only a rumour but how do the folk that are spreading said rumour know it'll be September? I don't believe that one at all....
Did you not see the link that Gilly posted a little earlier:

http://procartoonists.org/desperate-dan ... ard-times/

from which I quoted:

"A Dandy cartoonist told us: “They emailed me last week saying that in all likelihood it would be ending in September and they were sad about it.

“For the last issue they are going to revive a whole load of old characters.” "

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Raven wrote:
dandy mad wrote:What I don't get is why choose September as the month when the final issue is to be released? I know it's only a rumour but how do the folk that are spreading said rumour know it'll be September? I don't believe that one at all....
Did you not see the link that Gilly posted a little earlier:

http://procartoonists.org/desperate-dan ... ard-times/

from which I quoted:

"A Dandy cartoonist told us: “They emailed me last week saying that in all likelihood it would be ending in September and they were sad about it.

“For the last issue they are going to revive a whole load of old characters.” "

Unless the unnamed Dandy artist meant that no new artwork will be accepted after September depending on how far in front they are with the comic?

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I'm hoping it doesn't end in September either but we have to be realistic about the situation here.

In The Beano that Golden Ticket promotion thing ends in September and I now wonder if after that those pages will be reserved for Desperate Dan.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

GT is taking up five pages, Dan only needs one (if they use new material - two might be needed if they use reprints).

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

My point was when that finishes there will be room for at least 1 more strip and with GT finishing in September which is when the Dandy is rumoured to end it seems a bit of a coincidence.

I really hope I am putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 10 though.

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Yeah. Also gutted. Can't believe it may be finishing just as the comic is approaching 75 years. If it was to go though I do hope it merges with the Beano

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Gilly wrote:My point was when that finishes there will be room for at least 1 more strip and with GT finishing in September which is when the Dandy is rumoured to end it seems a bit of a coincidence.

I really hope I am putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 10 though.
What has a promotion in the Beano got to do with the demise of The Dandy? There is no connection whatsoever with the promotion ending in September is just a coincidence as for Desperate Dan going into the Beano you are joking right? Rumours should be be taken with a massive pinch of salt and unless a suit from DCT gives a statement saying what is going to happen then the rumour mongers can go :censored: themselves....

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Dandy's Facebook page has changed it's header and avatar to retro pictures of Dan. The header has a backdrop of question marks. I wonder if there's any significance?

EDIT: Same Dan picture on the website (the previous website has been removed completely), with the retro Dandy logo and a countdown clock. Looks like they're removing all trace of the modern Dandy! :(

EDIT: And we have confirmation. The Dandy is no more, the final issue will be in December.
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp ... =49862&c=1
Last edited by Digifiend on 16 Aug 2012, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.