The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Ellis

The Final Dandy

Post by Ellis »

I just thought I would make a post entirely about the last issue of the print Dandy and what we all know about it so far. So far I know that it's going to be £5.49, include the first issue, see the return of some classic stories like Ollie Fliptrick and a new Cuddles and Dimples. But does anyone know how many pages it will have. Will it be a massive bumper issue like we saw a couple of Christmases ago, since this is such a huge occasion. Although I really don't want the dandy to end I am really looking forward to the final issue as I think it's going to be really special.

Digifiend

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

Probably. Issue 1 was 28 pages and at minimum I expect that plus the usual 36.

blaing

Post by blaing »

We should know something about it soon, as DCT has debited my card (I bought the final Dandy through the D. C. Thomson Shop, see my post on the "this week's Dandy" thread for the link) and I assume the issue is on it's way to me right now.

I have the feeling it will be a huge issue like the Christmas 2010 issue was (a monster page count, along with the reprint of No. 1)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

great idea ,Ellis, and one I was toying with myself: this subject deserves a seperate, easily-identified thread of it's own.

I'm sure most of us will be buying the final issue.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What's this about the final issue of the Dandy? :)

NP

Post by NP »

Ellis wrote: Although I really don't want the dandy to end I am really looking forward to the final issue as I think it's going to be really special.
Yes, it's going to be great.

NP

Post by NP »

blaing wrote:...I assume the issue is on it's way to me right now...
Unlikely, as I haven't finished drawing my bit in it yet.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Fair enough, Nigel. :)

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

NP wrote:
Ellis wrote: Although I really don't want the dandy to end I am really looking forward to the final issue as I think it's going to be really special.
Yes, it's going to be great.
Any idea of how many pages its going to have, Nigel?

rossmac

Post by rossmac »

Looking forward to this too, hoping it will be a bumper issue. Like Bruce, I've ordered mine through dct. Can't trust my 'local' newsagent to get it in.

So what else do we know in regards to artists and stories? I do recall Lew saying somewhere he hs been working on material for it but I wonder whether I will be new strip/s like postman prat and kid cops or a classic strip like the smasher such as he has done for the annual.

And I wonder what path they will choose for the cover and who (if only the one artist) will get the honor of drawing it? Will we have a single character cover (ie Dan crying over his last cow pie (in print)), a cover that squeezes in every character that has been in the Dandy (that would be a feat, but Jamie smart has done those doctor who where's Wally style spreads so i reckon he'd be up to the detail involved), or perhaps a cover that is similar in style to issue one, but with the new logo, blue blobs and original korky meeting phil Corbett korky all watched over by the bellhop character.

And finally, has anyone been to this dandy 75 years exhibition? Wasn't there meant to be a bit of a preview of the digital dandy at that?

Ross

el293_comics

Post by el293_comics »

I went to the Dandy exhibition and there was a preview of the "project 3D", but that was the only preview of the Digital Dandy there was until nearer the time. I think the final issue is going to be great. I would like to see the return of The Banana Bunch for it, and of course Korky has to be in the final issue. I just hope that other than the issue 1 reprint there areno other reprints.

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

I'm just wondering if we will see this after the 4th :?:
Attachments
beano dandy logo.jpg

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No. There'll be no merger. We also know that Jamie Smart won't be drawing Dan any more, so he's either changing artist when the digital Dandy launches, or becoming a reprint.

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

I think a merger would be ideal to advertise the digital dandy, increase the page count to 40 & have a couple of pages over to Digital Dandy characters even for 6 months nice free self advertising. But then again we are talking about the DCT marketing department here....

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Did you find that logo BeanoKev or did you make it?