The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

-MikeD-

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:No copies in Hull either. Greedy Ebayers must've snapped them all up! Reprint please, DCT, and print 500,000 this time!
There's 4 in the Nisa shop on Greenwood Avenue. North Hull folk must be too busy buying lottery tickets and booze... :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I hope they're still there tomorrow then (by the time I get there tonight, they'll be closed, I'm on Bransholme), thanks for that. There weren't any in town nor on Holderness Road.

Tin Can, how the hell did that seller manage to get so many copies? The print run is 50,000, which must be 5 times the usual, but they have more than 2% of all stock? Can't be right.

It's clear that DCT marketing blundered yet again, this time by underestimating demand. If all these new buyers had been buying it every week instead of suddenly coming out of the woodwork now, the Dandy wouldn't be ending in print, in fact, it'd be outselling The Beano. The shops are equally to blame, for not limiting sales to one or two per customer.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Well if you can all get it make sure you do, it's a beautiful 100 pages of brilliance that really sends The Dandy off in style (to online).

I almost cried reading it and I'm 25 today.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

Such a brilliant issue! where were all these people when the Dandy desperately needed them! I can't believe already people are trying to sell the final issue on ebay for £100. So glad I went out to my local one stop at 6am this morning to get my copy! Some great stories inside the issue! "My dads a doofus" really made me laugh. I won't give anything away because I know some people still haven't got their copies yet but the ending to the whole comic almost made me shed a little tear. Also has anyone who ordered their copy directly from the DC Thomson shop for £5.49 recieved theres yet?

NP

Post by NP »

Ellis wrote:...the ending to the whole comic almost made me shed a little tear.
Thank you, that was the idea, glad it worked! I got a bit choked drawing it!
Ellis wrote:Also has anyone who ordered their copy directly from the DC Thomson shop for £5.49 recieved theres yet?
No, they started sending them out this morning, apparently, but most orders wll be sent out tomorrow or Thursady, they estimate. Yeah, no-one knows.

Ellis

Post by Ellis »

yeah, it really did work Nigel. Brilliant job! Well done!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'll have a look in Belfast, and I might be prepared to do a swap for the 75th anniversary special if I do find one?

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Had a pretty odd afternoon! My subscription copy has still not arrived so I rang one of the newsagents in Stafford and low and behold the first one I rang had one copy left. I reserved it and drove over to pick it up.

Came home and had a call on my mobile, a press agency was asking if they could come over and take some pictures of my comics etc. A chap came round 20 minutes later with lighting stands huge cameras etc.

Took some pictures of the comics I have, including the final issue. As usual with the press though, they've not quite got the truth of things, I was hoping they'd put more in about the digital issue as although I am sad to see the final print issue (which was simply awesome), I was hoping to raise awareness that its not the "last ever issue" as DC Thomson have printed on the cover, but the last printed one, it will contiune to thrive online. I can't quite claim the honour of the article title though, that has to be given solely to the great Phil Shrimpton!

Just been notified the article is online complete with some humorous commets at the bottom;

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/dandy-goes-dig ... 14332.html

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sinclair Barr's pop-up shop has it's own website. http://www.lasteverdandy.com/

And news about the sold out problem: http://www.thedrum.com/news/2012/12/04/ ... -new-dandy

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

NP wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I'm certain there will be more reaching the shops before long, though.....
I wouldn't put money on it!
A shame if this is not the case, Nigel [very good closing story, by the way] ----but a bountiful harvest for e-bay dealers, who can clean up admist the rarity value of this item!

Wish I'd bought two now.........the final issue of Buster changes hands for a considerable fee now and again.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Digifiend wrote:I hope they're still there tomorrow then (by the time I get there tonight, they'll be closed, I'm on Bransholme), thanks for that.
I just popped in and there's still four copies. It looks like 4 quid is a bit steep for my fellow council estate dwellers...
But there's only one copy of something called 'Animal Cuties' left... :lol:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

booksandcomics

What a great piece...your collection is impressive...

My collecting is different to you...I collect all kinds of comics and not worry about gaps...

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Thanks Peter

I read other comics but forced myself to not collect them as I'd be bankrupt!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

booksandcomics wrote:Came home and had a call on my mobile, a press agency was asking if they could come over and take some pictures of my comics etc. A chap came round 20 minutes later with lighting stands huge cameras etc.

Just been notified the article is online complete with some humorous commets at the bottom;

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/dandy-goes-dig ... 14332.html
Brilliant! :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I love 1970's early 80's Dandy's its got some great surreal characters...

They really have a flavour which is hard to describe...
Very strong...

I was a Beano fan as a kid...But admire how different the Dandy is..

The reprints didn't matter to me...it was great seeing Black Bob..My dog waggy..Desperate Dan..and various adventure strips...they were well worth reprint for a new readership...