Seeking Dandy 531 - 1st episode of Pobble

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

PobbleHunter

Seeking Dandy 531 - 1st episode of Pobble

Post by PobbleHunter »

Hi folks,
Bit of an obscure question; does anyone have a Dandy with a strip called Willie Willikin's Pobble in it? Was chatting to my isolated elderly mother last night and the conversation turned to old comics she'd known and loved. Apparently she has fond memories of the Pobble. I thought this might be a nice gift to brighten up her day (but only if it has Pobbles in it) but it turns out the Pobble didn't seem to run for very long. The closest I have got is issue 530 which announces the Pobble will be in next week's issue, which is proving very hard to find.
It doesn't have to be great condition, as long as it is readable. It's only for a fun gift to cheer up mum.
Thanks all,
Ali

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Seeking Dandy 531 - 1st episode of Pobble

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Pobblehunter,
You're right about Willie Willikin's Pobble not appearing in the Dandy for long, only in issues 531-553. There are a couple of these issues available on eBay at the moment for 13 pounds each plus postage but as the Pobble also appeared in the Dandy Annuals for 1953 and 1954 maybe it would make a nicer gift if you went for one of those especially as there are a couple of the 1953 edition on eBay at the moment for 10 pounds and 15 pounds and a 1954 edition for 14,99.
I hope you manage to pick something that will make your Mum smile. Take care and keep safe.

PobbleHunter

Post by PobbleHunter »

Thanks Kashgar!

I've tracked down a cheap 1954 annual. That should do. As I said, it's not for a collection, just for a bit of a laugh and some nostalgia.

I really appreciate the effort you have gone to to help a stranger. You're very kind.

Best regards,

Al

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

More than happy to help.