Female protagonists in Commando?

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Female protagonists in Commando?

Post by Tammyfan »

Are there any Commandos that have female protagonists rather than male? I know that one, "Fatherland", has just come out, but are there any others?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Female protagonists in Commando?

Post by colcool007 »

You also have Operation Nachthexen (4599) which featured the first female lead. The same characters also featured in Witch Hunt (4616) and Warrior's Return (4635).

All three featured the same creative team of Mac Macdonald writing and Carlos Pino doing all the art.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

colcool007 wrote:You also have Operation Nachthexen (4599) which featured the first female lead. The same characters also featured in Witch Hunt (4616) and Warrior's Return (4635).

All three featured the same creative team of Mac Macdonald writing and Carlos Pino doing all the art.
Thank you. The first of many we hope.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course the Russian Nachthexen or 'Night Witches' also played a prominent role in the Battle series Johnny Red.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And it's worth remembering that some of the girls' picture libraries were set during World War Two - usually featuring female resistance fighters in occupied Europe.
Attachments
989039.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And let us not forget the sadly short-lived Kitty Hawke from Girl I.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:And let us not forget the sadly short-lived Kitty Hawke from Girl I.
To be fair, she did last for 21 weeks. Quite a number of girls' serials didn't get that many.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:You also have Operation Nachthexen (4599) which featured the first female lead. The same characters also featured in Witch Hunt (4616) and Warrior's Return (4635).
How on earth can you read all those war stories, Col, and still stay sane?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
Very easily. I saw what the real thing does and these can easily be classed as light relief. Now there's a point, what would anyone class as the funniest Commando issue?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:How on earth can you read all those war stories, Col, and still stay sane?
colcool007 wrote:Very easily. I saw what the real thing does and these can easily be classed as light relief.
Obviously I have to read all relevant war stories when I am preparing something that will eventually be published, but war is only one of a large number of themes that would feature in such a book. When you have heard the Air-Raid sirens, and after the blackout curtains have been drawn and the electric lights switched off, and you've had to be protected by your mother under a table or whizzed out to your local stone-topped brick shelter, you tend to get very angry indeed with the people attacking you. War anywhere offends me to such an extent that I don't see any aspect of it in print as light relief, and as for the current Trump (arrogant)/North Korea (pragmatic) situation, it may not be too long before we become collateral damage in a ''my pecker's bigger than yours'' situation. So no, Colin, there is no light relief in war fiction, just more glorification.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:How on earth can you read all those war stories, Col, and still stay sane?
colcool007 wrote:Very easily. I saw what the real thing does and these can easily be classed as light relief.
Obviously I have to read all relevant war stories when I am preparing something that will eventually be published, but war is only one of a large number of themes that would feature in such a book. When you have heard the Air-Raid sirens, and after the blackout curtains have been drawn and the electric lights switched off, and you've had to be protected by your mother under a table or whizzed out to your local stone-topped brick shelter, you tend to get very angry indeed with the people attacking you. War anywhere offends me to such an extent that I don't see any aspect of it in print as light relief, and as for the current Trump (arrogant)/North Korea (pragmatic) situation, it may not be too long before we become collateral damage in a ''my pecker's bigger than yours'' situation. So no, Colin, there is no light relief in war fiction, just more glorification.
On this subject, we are going to have to agree to disagree. If you ever watched Blackadder Goes Forth, M*A*S*H, Soldier Soldier or Bluestone 42 or read Catch-22, you will see that there is humour in any situation. As my sense of humour is very dark, I will laugh in the face of fear because otherwise you cave in to it. As to the sirens calling, I have heard them for real on a grand total of two times and that is when you truly understand the meaning of "brown adrenaline"!

I must admit that I never realised that you were in your mid to late 70s as that is how old you'd need to have heard the bombs being dropped in anger over Cheshire as the last bombing raid on Cheshire was in 1942.

While many comics can be considered glorification, I suggest you read a few of the ones that deal with war before dismissing them all out of hand. I thoroughly recommend D-Day Dodgers as a good starting point. Either Alan Hebden or Garth Ennis' version will do but I recommend the Alan Hebden one as the more poignant of the two.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote: I must admit that I never realised that you were in your mid to late 70s
That is probably because when you don't see someone for a long period of time, Col, you tend to remember them as they were when you last saw them. In our case that was when you lived in High Barnet, and you may recall that I even slept over on one of my visits. I particularly remember three things, chatting to Karen, reading to your youngest daughter Iona from a Dandy annual that she was leafing through, and holding my nose every time the underground train went through Finchley.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

colcool007 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Very easily. I saw what the real thing does and these can easily be classed as light relief. Now there's a point, what would anyone class as the funniest Commando issue?
"Nobody Loves a Genius!" is one that incorporates humour, and the platoon themselves have a really good laugh in the end. Scroggs from "Entry Forbidden!" is also a comical character.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Scroggs from "Entry Forbidden!" is also a comical character.
He'd have to be with a name like that!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Scroggs from "Entry Forbidden!" is also a comical character.
He'd have to be with a name like that!
You will find more on Scroggy here https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... dden-1981/