Scream and Misty merge for all-new comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Scream and Misty merge for all-new comic

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:
koollectablz wrote:Bought it and loved it! Great to see the thirteenth floor back!

On a separate note I picked up 2000AD for the first time in yonks as it was on the shelf next to Scream/Misty.

The artwork on Judge Dredd was absolutely atrocious! I know its a different style and all, but my gosh, whoever thought that should have seen print needs to seriously reassess and discover the difference between what's new and interesting and what's downright bad art.

Its terrible.
i have just started suscribing to 2000ad this year and managed to pick up all but 1 issue i missed over last say 10 years on ebay.i haven't read it for years apart from the xmas special every year but do intend to 1 day but when i took it out the envelope on saturday i thought the same thing as i had a quick flick through the pages.some stories down the years have had bad art slaine being one its unreadable at times but this latest dredd is really bad,they should let iconic characters have decent art that captures the feel of the original or a good ghost artist and i for 1 am glad wayne thomson does it on bananaman now in the beano where i hated his style for years.
Well, Mick McMahon is back on Dredd next week for a one-off. Preview here:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... dredd.html

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:
koollectablz wrote:Bought it and loved it! Great to see the thirteenth floor back!

On a separate note I picked up 2000AD for the first time in yonks as it was on the shelf next to Scream/Misty.

The artwork on Judge Dredd was absolutely atrocious! I know its a different style and all, but my gosh, whoever thought that should have seen print needs to seriously reassess and discover the difference between what's new and interesting and what's downright bad art.

Its terrible.
i have just started suscribing to 2000ad this year and managed to pick up all but 1 issue i missed over last say 10 years on ebay.i haven't read it for years apart from the xmas special every year but do intend to 1 day but when i took it out the envelope on saturday i thought the same thing as i had a quick flick through the pages.some stories down the years have had bad art slaine being one its unreadable at times but this latest dredd is really bad,they should let iconic characters have decent art that captures the feel of the original or a good ghost artist and i for 1 am glad wayne thomson does it on bananaman now in the beano where i hated his style for years.
Dredd is one of this strips that doesn't have a regular artist (unless he is in an epic) but I tend to find that on the whole, the standard of his artwork is pretty good.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

On the whole I think 2000AD maintains a pretty high standard of artwork, and I'm in favour of using a wide variety of different styles on strips like Dredd. The thing that stops me from buying it every week is a feeling that - with a few exceptions - the newer writers have never really matched the quality of old-timers like Mills, Wagner, Grant, Moore and Milligan. Without mentioning any names I find that some of the more regular 'modern' scripters have become an instant turn-off for me.

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

I also wonder if it would help 2000AD's sales if they had more self-contained stories in each issue?

Miss the "jumping on" issue and I would say it's not easy for the casual reader to figure out what's going on.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Anorak783 wrote:I also wonder if it would help 2000AD's sales if they had more self-contained stories in each issue? Miss the "jumping on" issue and I would say it's not easy for the casual reader to figure out what's going on.
If you were to place an order for it at your local newsagents your worries would disappear straight away.

Seth

Post by Seth »

Hi everyone,

It's my first post here- so be please be gentle.

So my thoughts re:The Scream & Misty special.

First things first I enjoyed immensely seeing old favourites 're-imagined' but it's a bit hard to gauge Rebellion's actual strategy going forward (beyond appeals to the nostalgia market and those who grew up alongside this material). You needed a certain knowledge of both the characters and the history of IPC franchises to 'get' a lot of the comic. In all honesty I wish they had started off with 'softer points of entry'- more explanatory strips that could capture a new readership with stories orientated toward an 'all ages' audience (after all we wouldn't want 'children' to read physical comics and therefore re-ignite a domestic industry would we!!)
Despite its clear lack of a 'focused audience' it was fun and I'd like to see more use of IPC 'legacy characters' in fresh stories either in the pages of 2000AD or in their own stand alone book, sales will no doubt dictate if this is to be a reality. On that note, I've seen quite a few people complain that the barcodes of the copies they purchased from WHSmith where unable to be read, I wonder if this will impact on Rebellion's ability to produce accurate sales data?

Hope to chime in again on other topics as and when,

Seth.

p.s ---slightly off topic---I'm a big fan of the old 'Fleetway Super Library' titles- is there a space on the forum where these are being discussed?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

[quote="Seth"]Hi everyone,

It's my first post here- so be please be gentle.

So my thoughts re:The Scream & Misty special.

First things first I enjoyed immensely seeing old favourites 're-imagined' but it's a bit hard to gauge Rebellion's actual strategy going forward (beyond appeals to the nostalgia market and those who grew up alongside this material). You needed a certain knowledge of both the characters and the history of IPC franchises to 'get' a lot of the comic.

i think that's why they are doing 13th floor.misty and Blackmax graphic novels soon.and now i think about it the leopard man guests in it and he has a reprint book with more volumes to come.so maybe they will do death wish and the other guest appearance from the special.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm a big fan of the Fleetway Super Library titles too Seth. I think I've got a complete run of the Fantastic/Stupendous issues but not all the Front Line and Secret Agent ones. I really wish I could have afforded some of the original cover artwork when it surfaced a few years ago - especially those featuring the Spider!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Seth wrote:
p.s ---slightly off topic---I'm a big fan of the old 'Fleetway Super Library' titles- is there a space on the forum where these are being discussed?

Hi Seth and Welcome!

There isn't a particular space here (or on Facebook where I noticed you're also looking). You can always set up a new heading here under 'Buying, Selling & Swapping'. Abe books sometimes have some on offer although they look pricey currently ( https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... y%22&sts=t ).

And of course there is good old fashioned Ebay!

I only collect British 1st issues and still need the Steel Claw #1 from the Fantastic/Stupendous series. I have the other two. Great reads!

Seth

Post by Seth »

Thanks Adam,

I'll do just that.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Glanced through the new Scream and Misty comic in Forbidden Planet today and think it will probably appeal more to today's buyers than the older comics generation.Some of it looks ok but not too keen on some of the contrasting art styles of the various stories.

Having not read this one I cannot comment on the story telling but in a lot of the newer comics the storylines are rushed with the artwork taking up most of the pages.
A typical comic would probably have a superhero meet and defeat some foe and then come up against a more dangerous foe and then ( to be continued )

By contrast read a comic story that was printed years ago (before I was born that is ) where a thief by ingenious means steals a ring from a jewellers and the heroine is called upon to solve the crime which she does all in less than one complete page in a newspaper comic supplement.

Also saw today Beano and Dandy A-Z of laughs in WHSmiths which is one I would like to buy.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I bought Scristy&Meam this morning and read it an hour ago. Not all of the comic appealed to me and there were parts I did not enjoy at all. Not being a fan of vampire fiction, the Dracula piece put me right off. It seemed to me a bit nasty. As I don't see colours very well, it took me a short while to realise Dracula's word balloons were in a colour.
The superhero story appears to bring back old heroes and villains, or versions of them. While I am well aware of Thunderbolt, some of the others didn't ring any bells. My first thought having finished the story was, "all those heroes and only 6 pages?" And 3 panels of The Leopard - and he goes down ignominiously - is insulting.
Black Max was quite intriguing but is there going to be more? If yes I'll look out for it. If not, it's all been a waste of time and effort.
Return of the Sentinels just confused me. Not only the story but the odd placement of word balloons.
Fairy Hunter? Nothing more than a filler.
The high point (see what I did there?) for me was The Thirteenth Floor and I had only read posts on here about the original. Excellent art with stunning colour sections and some downright weird panels and entities, with the nasties getting their come-uppence, made for a good read. That last 3 panel segment makes me and I hope other readers want to know what happens next. But will we ever find out? Hopefully any further episodes will be in a continued Scream/Misty format and not in 2000AD, which I simply cannot read nowadays. It's not going to happen, is it?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

paw broon wrote:I bought Scristy&Meam this morning and read it an hour ago. Not all of the comic appealed to me and there were parts I did not enjoy at all. Not being a fan of vampire fiction, the Dracula piece put me right off. It seemed to me a bit nasty. As I don't see colours very well, it took me a short while to realise Dracula's word balloons were in a colour.
The superhero story appears to bring back old heroes and villains, or versions of them. While I am well aware of Thunderbolt, some of the others didn't ring any bells. My first thought having finished the story was, "all those heroes and only 6 pages?" And 3 panels of The Leopard - and he goes down ignominiously - is insulting.
Black Max was quite intriguing but is there going to be more? If yes I'll look out for it. If not, it's all been a waste of time and effort.
Return of the Sentinels just confused me. Not only the story but the odd placement of word balloons.
Fairy Hunter? Nothing more than a filler.
The high point (see what I did there?) for me was The Thirteenth Floor and I had only read posts on here about the original. Excellent art with stunning colour sections and some downright weird panels and entities, with the nasties getting their come-uppence, made for a good read. That last 3 panel segment makes me and I hope other readers want to know what happens next. But will we ever find out? Hopefully any further episodes will be in a continued Scream/Misty format and not in 2000AD, which I simply cannot read nowadays. It's not going to happen, is it?
That annoyed me too!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
paw broon wrote:The Leopard - and he goes down ignominiously - is insulting[/color]

That annoyed me too!
Me three!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
koollectablz wrote:
paw broon wrote:The Leopard - and he goes down ignominiously - is insulting[/color]

That annoyed me too!
Me three!
Me four!