Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:You'll probably find other start and end dates you need from London as you go through the last six years.
I don't think so to be honest, Tammyfan. My listing work today is about to start at issue 2101 (April 18 1998). Between 2101 and her final issue 2249 I am only missing 2112 and 2114 so I don't anticipate further problems. In any case 30th Century don't have those issues either. It's beginning to look like the British Library is calling. It's my birthday in just over a fortnight. I suppose I could go down for a few days and stay with my son Andrew's ex-partner's mother in Wandsworth. It's worth a phone call to her at least, and I would then also be able to spend some quality time with my granddaughters Aurora and Kelsey. Evenings would be spent with Andrew in the Gardener's or the Earl Spencer, from which vantage point we can keep a wary eye on the Dalek in Macari's car showroom. The Park Tavern is just too noisy, and it will probably be too cold to sit outside.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Best of Enemies probably began in #1995, most likely replacing Merry at St Mead’s. In #1992 Merry looks like she will finish in a couple of issues.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Merry At St Mead's ended in issue 1993. The replacement, Debbie's Debt, didn't start until 1995.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Merry At St Mead's ended in issue 1993. The replacement, Debbie's Debt, didn't start until 1995.
Interesting. Had Best of Enemies already started by #1995?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Had Best of Enemies already started by #1995?
Yes it had. If it will help to clarify the photo story sequence at that time, these are the main pieces of information. The photo story True Friends, the only photo serial running at that point, ended in issue 1991. Its replacement, The Boy Ban, presumably started in 1992, although as I don't have that issue I can't be absolutely sure. However, the initial blurb to the instalment in 1993 does seem to be a brief summary of a previous episode. It is also the only photo story in that issue. In issue 1993 Merry Of St Mead's, a drawn story, finishes. I don't have issue 1994. In issue 1995 there are two photo serials, one of which is the continuing story of The Boy Ban, which does not finish in that issue, the other being Best Of Enemies!, which doesn't quite feel like its first episode. It is therefore possible that the drawn story Merry Of St Mead's was replaced by the photo story Best Of Enemies! in issue 1994. Best Of Enemies! ends in issue 1998, The Boy Ban in 1999, clearing the way for the return of Luv, Lisa in the celebratory issue 2000 (May 11 1996).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Had Best of Enemies already started by #1995?
Yes it had. If it will help to clarify the photo story sequence at that time, these are the main pieces of information. The photo story True Friends, the only photo serial running at that point, ended in issue 1991. Its replacement, The Boy Ban, presumably started in 1992, although as I don't have that issue I can't be absolutely sure. However, the initial blurb to the instalment in 1993 does seem to be a brief summary of a previous episode. It is also the only photo story in that issue. In issue 1993 Merry Of St Mead's, a drawn story, finishes. I don't have issue 1994. In issue 1995 there are two photo serials, one of which is the continuing story of The Boy Ban, which does not finish in that issue, the other being Best Of Enemies!, which doesn't quite feel like its first episode. It is therefore possible that the drawn story Merry Of St Mead's was replaced by the photo story Best Of Enemies! in issue 1994. Best Of Enemies! ends in issue 1998, The Boy Ban in 1999, clearing the way for the return of Luv, Lisa in the celebratory issue 2000 (May 11 1996).
Boy Ban definitely starts #1992 - I do have the issue. It is unlikely Best of Enemies started #1993 because there was no room, so my guess is it started #1994.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:It is therefore possible that the drawn story Merry Of St Mead's was replaced by the photo story Best Of Enemies! in issue 1994.
Tammyfan wrote:It is unlikely Best of Enemies started #1993 because there was no room, so my guess is it started #1994.
So you agree then? :)

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:It is therefore possible that the drawn story Merry Of St Mead's was replaced by the photo story Best Of Enemies! in issue 1994.
Tammyfan wrote:It is unlikely Best of Enemies started #1993 because there was no room, so my guess is it started #1994.
So you agree then? :)
Yep, that’s my guess from the issues we have between us.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

With the completion of my listing of the serials in Bunty about ten minutes ago, I now have full lists for all eleven Thomsons' titles for girls between the ages of eight and thirteen in chronological order within the individual titles. There are 2864 of them. I'll decide later how I will celebrate this achievement, although I'm sure alcohol will get a look-in somewhere. :cheers:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Bravo Phoenix! :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Bravo Phoenix! :)
Thanks, Phil. I've already opened a bottle of red, and I'm now on my first glass. My next project will be writing the book. It is certainly manageable because 2864 three-line synopses at 13 to the page as in This Was The Wizard, would produce a book of roughly 220 pages, plus more for a thorough Introduction and the heading block illustrations, 300 altogether at a very rough estimate. Furthermore if the summaries are presented in alphabetical order there will be no need of an alphabetical list of serials at the end of the book.

There is a reasonable possibility that I will be writing quite a bit of it in Cornwall. I have my house on the market, and it has attracted some interest. One couple came to view it on Tuesday and then again yesterday. But, as Doris Day so memorably sang all those years ago, "Que sera sera, Whatever will be will be, The future's not ours to see, Que sera sera." Apologies for the repeated lack of an accent on sera, but I've forgotten how to place accents.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Bravo Phoenix! :)
Thanks, Phil. I've already opened a bottle of red, and I'm now on my first glass. My next project will be writing the book. It is certainly manageable because 2864 three-line synopses at 13 to the page as in This Was The Wizard, would produce a book of roughly 220 pages, plus more for a thorough Introduction and the heading block illustrations, 300 altogether at a very rough estimate. Furthermore if the summaries are presented in alphabetical order there will be no need of an alphabetical list of serials at the end of the book.
Congratulations, Derek. It'd good that people such as yourself can produce such an archive for future generations to use. Hours of work, but ultimately worthwhile.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Hours of work, but ultimately worthwhile.
Worthwhile definitely, Lew, but in the interests of accuracy I should point out that I have been putting the entire list together steadily over roughly five months.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Congratulations Derek! :cheers:
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Congratulations Derek! :cheers:
Thanks, Jenni. I've been hard at work over the last few days thinking about the layout for the eventual book, and I've started to list the serials that will make the cut. I now know which ones from Emma, Debbie and Tracy have done so, the selection criteria bar having been set really quite high. Tomorrow I will hopefully complete my selection from Nikki, and then end the weekend with M&J. I'll try and select from Suzy, Spellbound and Diana next week. Mandy, Judy and Bunty will just have to wait their turn. After that I need to allow myself some time to consider possible amendments to the plan, and plenty more to organize, and at least partially write, the Introduction, which should get under way sometime in January. I can't yet see beyond that point.