What comics or comic related Christmas presents did you get?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

What comics or comic related Christmas presents did you get?

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've only received the Rok of the Reds set so far but I can't wait to sit down and go through them.

What did you get as Comic related Christmas pressies?

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics or comic related Christmas presents did you

Post by Adam Eterno »

I also logged into my Ebay account on Christmas Day evening to find I'd sold over £1k worth of comics during the day! Best day ever and it means I can buy loads more comics in 2018!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As far as I'm aware, Adam, it has never occurred to me that you are a comic dealer. Have you ever said so on the forum?

Additional comment.

The reason why I assumed that you might be a dealer, Adam, relates purely and simply to comments you yourself have posted on the forum. For example, on November 6th you 'bought a large number', which you described as 'a spending spree', and on December 26th you looked into your eBay account and found that you had 'sold more than a thousand pounds worth of comics on Christmas Day', which you say 'means that I can buy loads more comics in 2018'. Then, of course, there is your post on August 24th in which you refer to 'the massive 3500ish that I bought last year'. Earlier in August you referred to 'a much better haul today/this week compared to the last month or so'.

There are other comments relating to sales you have made, not necessarily as successfully as you would have liked, or you plan to. On August 6th for example you said 'I agree with you 100 per cent but when I re-sell it.....which I aim to do, I'll mention 'banned' as it should sell quicker!', whereas on August 9th you had to admit that 'I've also sold things for less than I wanted'.

Of course the above does not in itself imply that you are a dealer, but when one takes into account the sheer volume of comic traffic in and out, surely you can see that my original question was at the very least a reasonable one.
Last edited by Phoenix on 28 Dec 2017, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:As far as I'm aware, Adam, it has never occurred to me that you are a comic dealer. Have you ever said so on the forum?
No I haven't as I'm not

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

An A0 print of Commando cover 14.
25659341_10156103656458459_5767063591279679350_n.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Got both Wizard Holiday books 1938 and 39, also Flip the Frog annual, also Eb and Flo annual, plus a 1939 Triumph comic with Superman strip, plus a particular Ally Slopers Half-Holiday comic from 1886 that I had wanted for ages, still with its free gift art plate. Also on the way is the scarce 1950 Radio Fun annual with Tommy Handley on the cover.

Every Christmas I think I'll never get anything as good as I got last year, but yet again I'm wrong.

starscape

Post by starscape »

I'm a bit of a collector of Treasury Editions. This year I got DC's Christmas with the Super-Heroes. A bit weird. The Marvel ones are full of great stories, usually with a slightly odd one. But this is all 1940s, including the golden-age Sandman not see for years, apart from a Neal Adams Batman.

The kids waking up to that in 1976(?) must have been sore confused as to why the characters looked different and the stories bore no relation to what they were reading.

STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There's an article about annuals on the BBC website. Didn't want to start a new topic for it.

I have a couple of DC Comic Christmas specials. Normal size but a lot more pages.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Barrie Tomlinson’s Comic Book Hero. I’m an absolute fan of behind the scenes accounts and a quick scan through shows a lot of promising new stories. Thank you Barrie for writing it! And my wife for buying it!!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

starscape and your Christmas with the Super-Heroes, it's not even the original Sandman, we're probably into the Kirby version here, although it could be a Paul Norris drawn story. Sandy was a new sidekick in the stories when they went to the yellow, superhero type costume. I've always preferred the suit, hat, gas mask, gas gun version.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Sandman is Kirby/Simon, so not the original. However, it is from 1942, so still pretty out-of-date for a mid-70s kids comic. Even if you were a fan of the Sandman around that time, chances are it would be the completely different one that Kirby had come up with a couple of years or so earlier.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:There's an article about annuals on the BBC website. Didn't want to start a new topic for it.
Why not? I thought it was quite interesting. So I started a new thread about it before I saw your comment.

I got the Beano, Dandy, Classic Beano/Dandy and Simpsons Comics annuals. BOGOF at WHSmith.

SID

Post by SID »

I hope that everyone had a very Merry Christmas. :cheers:

I got the following:

The Dandy Annual 2018
The Trigan Empire - The Puppet Prince
Beano & The Dandy - An A-Z of Laughs!
Thrill-power Overload: 40 Years of 2000AD: Revised, Updated and Expanded

Still on the comic front though American:

Spider-Man Homecoming
Wonder Woman
Blu-Ray Videos.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I bought my partner a copy of Darryl Cunningham's Graphic Science and have read three of the seven tales about scientists myself as he's finished it now. Recommended. I also got an interesting looking graphic novel called something like 'We did our best' about a Vietnamese refugee / immigrant family in the US which I've not yet started.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.