What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Picked up Valiant Picture Library 27 Action Stations and Combat Picture Library 195 Dropping Zone - Danger!. The latter has an advert in the back for a 68 page magazine called Warrior priced at 1/6. I've never heard of this and the Grand Comics Database has no entry. Can anyone show a cover image? It mentions War, Crime, Western and Sport with the War being advertised as a full length war picture story every month. Apologies for poor image taken with 2mp tablet camera. Curiously the masthead is very similar to Dez Skinn's version decades later. I would presume this was a short lived publication if it ever did reach the newsstands.
Very interesting! I've never seen it. Perhaps it was dropped before publication, but the close similarity between that masthead and Dez' Warrior are intriguing as you said. (Dez did publish a small press Warrior comic around 1971 or so but it wasn't anything like the one in the ad.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I’ve not seen this either but it is intriguing. Dez’s logo for his first run of Warrior was different from the second run (the one that we all know and which has the logo similar to this one). A good find, Steve. Thanks for highlighting it.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
stevezodiac wrote: I know some forum members frown on buying for financial gain but I'm a pensioner now and need to supplement my income.
Nothing wrong with that, Steve. I've bought items from you in the past so I'm glad you sold them. (Had no idea you were a pensioner now. I still have a few years to go before I get my bus pass. :) )
Agreed with Lew, i'm very happy that you had comics I needed!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Picked up Valiant Picture Library 27 Action Stations and Combat Picture Library 195 Dropping Zone - Danger!. The latter has an advert in the back for a 68 page magazine called Warrior priced at 1/6. I've never heard of this and the Grand Comics Database has no entry. Can anyone show a cover image? It mentions War, Crime, Western and Sport with the War being advertised as a full length war picture story every month. Apologies for poor image taken with 2mp tablet camera. Curiously the masthead is very similar to Dez Skinn's version decades later. I would presume this was a short lived publication if it ever did reach the newsstands.
I've had a look around and I can't find anything on a Warrior comic at that time. intriguing! I can only think that it never came to production but that's just a guess.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

First up, Combat PL was a Micron publication, so this could have been a new venture by Micron at the time. Thankfully, I have a few people that I can approach to see if they know anything about this.

Can you get me a picture of the indicia and the cover for that issue Steve?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Do you mean the cover of the Combat Picture Library in which this ad appears? Indica is very small print so may be illegible with tablet camera.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Attachments
IMG_20171231_102446_kindlephoto-223176.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks for that Steve. I can use the picture as a reminder to the people I am going to contact as it may spark a few brain cells and it may not.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

The 1/6d Warrior doesn't ring any bells, I'm afraid, and there's no listing in the Guide. But as Colin and I and some of you are aware, there are many omissions in the British Guide, and also, Micron and the other company names produced a fair number of titles that seem to have passed us all by. Not only different titles but different formats, as we can see from the illo.

blaing

Post by blaing »

First purchases of the New Year, and both were replacement comics. The first is the 1988 Beano Summer Special, the other was the Dandy Comic Library Cartoon Book No. 4 (although technically, I bought thr special a day or two ago.) ;)
Last edited by blaing on 31 Dec 2017, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

starscape

Post by starscape »

paw broon wrote:The 1/6d Warrior doesn't ring any bells, I'm afraid, and there's no listing in the Guide. But as Colin and I and some of you are aware, there are many omissions in the British Guide, and also, Micron and the other company names produced a fair number of titles that seem to have passed us all by. Not only different titles but different formats, as we can see from the illo.
I looked up the football story but no results found for "johnny swift" "highbridge united" on Google.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

We should bear in mind Warrior is advertised as a magazine. It looks like it only had one comic strip. Even Titbits magazine had several comic strips in the fifties.

It's hard to read the text in the advert I posted but the war and western are described as yarns and the football as a story. And the hero in the crime story features Dan Kirby of the highway patrol.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Over Christmas I did a whole load of deals on Commando comics, picking up another 38 issues meaning that I only need 3 for the set now.

I received a bunch of 14 Jag comics which I'll now be collecting and the majority of the short-lived Thunder comic from our own Kollectablz.

I was given the Rok of the Reds set which I've already read and enjoyed.

37 Captain Britain comics, purely to hopefully improve my set and then what's left will be back on Ebay.

I also picked up the free gifts from Lion #1 and Warlord #1

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Adam Eterno wrote:Over Christmas I did a whole load of deals on Commando comics, picking up another 38 issues meaning that I only need 3 for the set now.
I'm sure you'll savour the moment Adam when that final issue pops through the letter box. It's a strange thing but I'm not sure, personally, that the final pleasure of having completed the collection of a big title ever matches up to that thrill of looking for the final few issues. But maybe that's just me.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Ah it’s always the chase for me! I can be after something for years, finally get it, read it and then a week later move it on.

It’s enough for me to have ‘had’ it.