free gift's in viz

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Post Reply
big bad bri
Posts: 1743
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

free gift's in viz

Post by big bad bri » 17 Jan 2018, 14:27

I just bought issue 272 and it comes with in my mind its 1st ever free gift a car air freshner.I have been buying viz since the 80's and this is 1st time i have seen it come with a free gift so i'm suspecting sales could be down as they have never to my knowledge needed a free gift before,i'm not counting those pull out calenders every christmas as they are not free gifts in my mind.

Shiner
Posts: 233
Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 23:33

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Shiner » 17 Jan 2018, 16:01

Issue 1 came with a free ice cream. I’ve still got mine.

big bad bri
Posts: 1743
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by big bad bri » 17 Jan 2018, 18:49

Shiner wrote:Issue 1 came with a free ice cream. I’ve still got mine.
was that plastic tat or a cardboard tat thing ?lol

Shiner
Posts: 233
Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 23:33

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Shiner » 18 Jan 2018, 01:04

Better than that- a picture of a nice cream stapled in !

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Lew Stringer » 18 Jan 2018, 01:55

big bad bri wrote:I just bought issue 272 and it comes with in my mind its 1st ever free gift a car air freshner.I have been buying viz since the 80's and this is 1st time i have seen it come with a free gift so i'm suspecting sales could be down as they have never to my knowledge needed a free gift before,i'm not counting those pull out calenders every christmas as they are not free gifts in my mind.
The calendars are free gifts because it's an additional item to the usual 52 page mag. The only reason it's stapled to the centre pages is to stop it falling out / being nicked. (Years ago the calendar used to be bagged with the comic, but that's more expensive and people complain about bagged gifts so stapling was the next best option.)

There's been a few free gifts over the years. A mini profanasaurus stapled to the outer cover comes to mind.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Robbie Moubert
Posts: 170
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 14:12
Contact:

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Robbie Moubert » 19 Jan 2018, 14:48

Issue 268 had some stickers as a free gift.

big bad bri
Posts: 1743
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by big bad bri » 19 Jan 2018, 15:25

Robbie Moubert wrote:Issue 268 had some stickers as a free gift.
i completely forgot about those :lol: but i hope i'm wrong viz is in trouble if it has to resort to free gifts.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Lew Stringer » 19 Jan 2018, 15:38

big bad bri wrote:
Robbie Moubert wrote:Issue 268 had some stickers as a free gift.
i completely forgot about those :lol: but i hope i'm wrong viz is in trouble if it has to resort to free gifts.
Sales have fallen (just over 48,000 per issue in 2016, the 2017 figures not in yet) but no sign of it being in trouble yet.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Shiner
Posts: 233
Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 23:33

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Shiner » 20 Jan 2018, 09:44

Did you see that an original two page Roger Mellie from Viz 36 sold on eBay last weekend for £968? A nice gift but not a free one.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Lew Stringer » 20 Jan 2018, 15:17

Shiner wrote:Did you see that an original two page Roger Mellie from Viz 36 sold on eBay last weekend for £968? A nice gift but not a free one.
No, didn't see that. That's an excellent price! My Viz pages tended to go for around £100 to £160 although I haven't sold any for a year or two.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1298
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: free gift's in viz

Post by Adam Eterno » 23 Jan 2018, 16:04

Shiner wrote:Did you see that an original two page Roger Mellie from Viz 36 sold on eBay last weekend for £968? A nice gift but not a free one.
Amazing price! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viz-comic-or ... 7675.l2557

Post Reply