Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: Ebay sales: Good price for the seller, buyer or both??

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I've had people say they haven't received an item and, even though I had proof of posting including door number and postcode, I had to issue a refund. How do we know buyer wasn't lying? Luckily only a few quid but with TV 21 it would be a three figure sum. It would be intolerable to issue, say, a £500 refund and think maybe they have the items as well. I was thinking of selling them through phil-comics but not sure what his cut would be.

Anyway Millwall for the premier league? To be honest I'd prefer not to but the extra millions would help my club.
With insurance as mentioned, you can claim back any possible refund from the Royal Mail so you'll never be out of pocket. Phil's charges are 37% + 25p

As regards Millwall, enjoy the journey......I'm a Saints fan!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Ok, thanks, I'll look into insured postage. I have a new postage rates leaflet. I've been to the old Dell but never been to Bolton. I probably have some sixties Bolton programmes in storage.

I won 44 Whizzer and Chips yesterday for £9.99 plus postage. From 1983/84. A nice bargain.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Derek, why not change your allegiance to Wigan. It's a Lancs club so no difference? :)

I can be a little devil at times.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Ok, thanks, I'll look into insured postage. I have a new postage rates leaflet. I've been to the old Dell but never been to Bolton. I probably have some sixties Bolton programmes in storage.

I won 44 Whizzer and Chips yesterday for £9.99 plus postage. From 1983/84. A nice bargain.
I lived in Anerley, SE20 for 9 years, 30 years ago and my next-door-neighbour was a Millwall fan so I went down there quite often with him......always entertaining!

blaing

Post by blaing »

stevezodiac wrote:I won 44 Whizzer and Chips yesterday for £9.99 plus postage. From 1983/84. A nice bargain.
An excellent win. Congratulations. :up:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just won 64 issues of Whoopee for £30 + £8.99 postage.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Derek, why not change your allegiance to Wigan. It's a Lancs club so no difference? :)
When I started to interest myself in football, Steve, Bolton Wanderers were in the First Division, then the top league in the country, whereas Wigan Athletic were in the Lancashire Combination, along with such notable teams as Lancaster City, Morecambe, Droylsden, Skelmersdale, Nelson, Darwen, etcetera. I do also have a great deal of affection for Blackburn Rovers because they were the team that my father first took me to see on a regular basis. There was a kind of routine. My dad would ring his younger brother on Friday lunchtimes to agree which match they would watch the following day. The criterion for the choice was deciding which game would be the most evenly matched. Then it was train from Lancaster to Preston, then another from Preston to Mill Hill, if we were going to Blackburn, where we got off and walked down into the valley where Ewood Park was situated. We always went into the Riverside Stand. No tickets were ever booked in advance except obviously for cup ties. If we were going to watch a home game at Bolton, we went from Preston to Trinity Street railway station in Bolton, crossed the road to a cafe for lunch, and then took the long walk down Manchester Road to Burnden Park. We rarely went to Preston's games, and never to Burnley's. Virtually all the above journeys occurred when I was still in the local primary school. The only trip to Wigan that I can recall from that same period was to meet the family of the woman that my father's younger brother was going to marry. I watched my first and only Rugby League match that day, Wigan v Swinton.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I came across an article about Darwen fc in a hundred year old magazine. I scanned it and emailed it to the club but received no reply. I went to Blackburn a couple of times. I have a copy of the Great Newspapers Reprinted reprint of the Sunday Pictorial covering the first Wembley cup final, West Ham v Bolton. 1926?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I've had people say they haven't received an item and, even though I had proof of posting including door number and postcode, I had to issue a refund. How do we know buyer wasn't lying? Luckily only a few quid but with TV 21 it would be a three figure sum. It would be intolerable to issue, say, a £500 refund and think maybe they have the items as well. I was thinking of selling them through phil-comics but not sure what his cut would be.

Anyway Millwall for the premier league? To be honest I'd prefer not to but the extra millions would help my club.
With insurance as mentioned, you can claim back any possible refund from the Royal Mail so you'll never be out of pocket. Phil's charges are 37% + 25p

I didn't actually know Phil's charges, that's quite interesting, I thought they'd be a lot less tbh. Do you know if that 37% also encompasses the 10% due to eBay or is that separate, also the paypal fee? Assuming its part of it or else the consignee would end up paying 47% plus the Paypal fee, which would mean they wouldn't even see 50% of the selling price. Also assuming the 25p is the listing fee? Plus the shipping cost to send them to Phil in the first place.

I know Phil achieves great prices but certainly not double everyone else.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I have a copy of the Great Newspapers Reprinted reprint of the Sunday Pictorial covering the first Wembley cup final, West Ham v Bolton. 1926?
The first Wembley final was in 1923, Steve, in which Bolton beat West Ham United 2-0. Bolton won it again in 1926, 1-0 against Manchester City, then again in 1929, 2-0 against Portsmouth. The attendance at the 1923 final was estimated at 126,047. Given that we won again in 1958, 2-0 against Manchester United, not a single goal has been scored against Bolton in any of their 4 Wembley FA Cup Finals. However, given the club's current form, league position, and general prospects, I can't help thinking that I will not still be around to enjoy their fifth Wembley victory. :(

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:

I didn't actually know Phil's charges, that's quite interesting, I thought they'd be a lot less tbh. Do you know if that 37% also encompasses the 10% due to eBay or is that separate, also the paypal fee? Assuming its part of it or else the consignee would end up paying 47% plus the Paypal fee, which would mean they wouldn't even see 50% of the selling price. Also assuming the 25p is the listing fee? Plus the shipping cost to send them to Phil in the first place.

I know Phil achieves great prices but certainly not double everyone else.
It is inclusive but you’re right, you also have to pay the postage to get the comics to him.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

He does collect from you but charges petrol money.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I'm a month late on this but I only noticed it while I was researching recent prices for Red Daggers this evening. I think it was definitely the seller that got the great deal here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-dagger-C ... Swn~JarnOd

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I think it was definitely the seller that got the great deal here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-dagger-C ... Swn~JarnOd
I'm obviously prepared to be corrected, but as far as I can tell, the seller doesn't appear to have sold the items.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:I'm obviously prepared to be corrected, but as far as I can tell, the seller doesn't appear to have sold the items.
I can see where you're confused, I was initially. If you search the title, it comes up under sold items or you can check his feedback where it's the 2nd one down currently. Interesting price he sold #6 for as well!