Long Hiatus

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Long Hiatus

Post by DavidKW »

I'm just saying hello again, after a long hiatus - been over a year since I last wrote on this site, and wrote very little prior to that.

This largely has been due to me being distracted by a horrendous 2016-17 including:

The family firm I worked for was bought out (was well in profit - but one of the greedy directors wanted her own swimming pool) by a corporate and re-located to hell (next to Trafford Centre); journeys to work always horrible, job more demanding, longer hours, I was being treated like dirt &in trouble over petty things and soon started to suffer burn-out.
I was eventually made redundant and had a lot of trouble finding alternative work (not easy if over 40), only getting temporary positions and a kick in the teeth from one due to office politics.

I broke my arm in a freak accident, which took a long time to recover from.
I discovered I may have a medical condition but had frustrations, as first my doctor's surgery lost notes sent from hospital who did first assessment, then I was put on an NHS waiting list and it took almost a year to finally get the diagnosis test. The stress of all these got me into trouble at work (where redundancy happened).

Then my father died (to be fair he was extremely old and been ill a long time), and worse I had to go to the funeral and be in same rooms as my older sister (we have nothing in common) and snob brother in law (sun shines out his behind to mother). They ridiculed me behind my back often. Had to see other family not seen for years, many who thought it odd me not being married and owning a house and only seeing me as I was in past. You can pick your friends...not your family.

In 2017, I finally got the diagnosis confirmed.
But I also had a nervous breakdown.
Thankfully, I moved from Bolton to Leigh to accommodation that's supported and I can finally get and access the help I need.
But been plenty of upheavals and distractions along the way.

But one thing that has remained a constant - I've still never stopped reading and collecting comics - and my collection has continued to grow steadily.

My interest in comics has never stopped and I still read this site.

Touch wood, in 2018, I feel more positive and settled and am now finding things to say and write about regarding comics again, so there's a chance I'll be blogging a lot more (if you can put up with me!).

comixminx

Re: Long Hiatus

Post by comixminx »

DavidKW wrote:I'm just saying hello again, after a long hiatus - been over a year since I last wrote on this site, and wrote very little prior to that.

This largely has been due to me being distracted by a horrendous 2016-17 including:

The family firm I worked for was bought out (was well in profit - but one of the greedy directors wanted her own swimming pool) by a corporate and re-located to hell (next to Trafford Centre); journeys to work always horrible, job more demanding, longer hours, I was being treated like dirt &in trouble over petty things and soon started to suffer burn-out.
I was eventually made redundant and had a lot of trouble finding alternative work (not easy if over 40), only getting temporary positions and a kick in the teeth from one due to office politics.

I broke my arm in a freak accident, which took a long time to recover from.
I discovered I may have a medical condition but had frustrations, as first my doctor's surgery lost notes sent from hospital who did first assessment, then I was put on an NHS waiting list and it took almost a year to finally get the diagnosis test. The stress of all these got me into trouble at work (where redundancy happened).

Then my father died (to be fair he was extremely old and been ill a long time), and worse I had to go to the funeral and be in same rooms as my older sister (we have nothing in common) and snob brother in law (sun shines out his behind to mother). They ridiculed me behind my back often. Had to see other family not seen for years, many who thought it odd me not being married and owning a house and only seeing me as I was in past. You can pick your friends...not your family.

In 2017, I finally got the diagnosis confirmed.
But I also had a nervous breakdown.
Thankfully, I moved from Bolton to Leigh to accommodation that's supported and I can finally get and access the help I need.
But been plenty of upheavals and distractions along the way.

But one thing that has remained a constant - I've still never stopped reading and collecting comics - and my collection has continued to grow steadily.

My interest in comics has never stopped and I still read this site.

Touch wood, in 2018, I feel more positive and settled and am now finding things to say and write about regarding comics again, so there's a chance I'll be blogging a lot more (if you can put up with me!).
Welcome back and hope things are onward and upward from now on!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Glad to have you back David. Sorry to hear you had such a bad year. Hopefully, it's going to get better from here for you.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks for the messages of support.

I too hope things will move on for the positive!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Onward and upward, David, and good luck for the future from me too. :cheers:

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

David - I wish you the very best. Good to have you here.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

welcome back david.i think comics are my crutch for want of a better word and was so glad i never sold them all off a couple of years ago ,although i still am in debt :lol: but lifes to short and cling on to what makes you feel happy and comfortable .

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks again for the messages, feels just great. What a great community we comic collectors are!

Totally agree with what Bigbadbri says: comics have been a crutch for me through many bad times: the collecting and reading of comics helped keep me going through the last few difficult years, and through a few bad times when I was much younger. Hopefully this will continue into the future.

My collection is not for sale at any price! I do have to operate on a budget now (less money coming in to play with), but when it comes to comic collecting, my budget instantly goes out the window. Only one life and the pleasure comics give make it all worthwhile and more!