Beano annual reprints

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

lucia

Beano annual reprints

Post by lucia »

Wonderful news about the Beano annual reprints, See Lew's blog for more info.

Some help please I've ordered 1962 because its my birthday. In regards to 1963 can anyone advise if it has art by Leo Baxendale and Ken Reid in it?

koollectablz

Re: Beano annual reprints

Post by koollectablz »

https://shop.beano.com/books/personalis ... -year.html

Great idea.

What an incredibly cheap way to get a replacement spine for any of the originals too!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i want to buy all annuals 1940 to 1970 but will never happen but i can dream :lol: :lol:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

lucia wrote:In regards to 1963 can anyone advise if it has art by Leo Baxendale and Ken Reid in it?
The 1963 annual, with the bash street kids on the cover, does have Ken Reid art in it.
I don't think it has Baxendale though. Comparing it to the 1961 annual the Little Plum, Minnie and Bash Street Kids strips look like they're by a different artist.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Well I’ve sprung for a 1940, be fun to see what it’s like, I’ll post some pics when it arrives.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

The Beano book reprints are produced under licence by Signature Gifts ltd http://www.signature-gifts.co.uk

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
lucia wrote:In regards to 1963 can anyone advise if it has art by Leo Baxendale and Ken Reid in it?
The 1963 annual, with the bash street kids on the cover, does have Ken Reid art in it.
I don't think it has Baxendale though. Comparing it to the 1961 annual the Little Plum, Minnie and Bash Street Kids strips look like they're by a different artist.
This is a bit of a vexed question TCT. Leo always said that he drew the Loch Ness strip etc for the 1963 Beano Book and that's why I credited him with the same in 'The Beano Diaries'. I think we have to see it as transitional work by Leo with possibly some additions by Dave Sutherland who, within six months of this strip being drawn, would become the regular Bash St artist on Leo's departure from the Beano.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Speaking of these reprints the only one I've ordered is the edition for 1962 as it will make a nice present for my kid brother who was born in that year.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but it appears they started also doing reprints of Dandy annuals too. But you could only get reprints of 1960 to 1990. None of the really rare old ones. And they cost £29.99 so it would be cheaper to just get the originals off eBay. It doesnt look like DC Thomson sell them anymore though. Which is a shame. Hopefully, its only a temporary thing and they're adding all the other years :D