Another appeal for help in finding a serial

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Another appeal for help in finding a serial

Post by Tammyfan »

On Girls' Comics of Yesterday we have had another appeal for help in finding a serial. Details are as follows:

"The story that still sticks with me was about a girl who got kidnapped and forced into military training. They shaved her head and put her in uniform, and she had to do assault courses and combat training. Nobody would explain what was going on. I think she was a bit of a spoilt girl from a boarding school so all this upset her terribly, but then she decided to knuckle down and learn all the military stuff. Eventually she was able to use what she was being taught to her own advantage. Can’t remember how it all ended though! But I did admire her for turning the tables on her kidnappers. I think it was in Bunty, but could have been June and Schoolfriend as these were the two I read every week. Late 60s to early 70s. Any details much appreciated to put me out of my misery!"

Absolute zilch on leads so far. Can anyone help?

peace355

Re: Another appeal for help in finding a serial

Post by peace355 »

It does sound very distinctive, I would think I'd remember if I read it but nothing is springing to mind, hopefully someone will be able to help.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Doesn't sound like it's ringing bells with Phoenix so far either, which could suggest it might be from June and School Friend rather than Bunty.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 30 Jan 2019, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Nothing came up in what June & School Friends I have.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:It does sound very distinctive, I would think I'd remember if I read it but nothing is springing to mind, hopefully someone will be able to help.
It does sound very distinctive. I wouldn't mind knowing what it is myself. It's definitely not Tammy.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The premise does remind me of "The Nightmare" from Battle, where Ian Wilson is kidnapped, taken to Nazi Germany, and imprisoned in a Hitler Youth camp for forced military training, Nazi style. He uses what he has learned to escape. He and his fellow escapees even bind and gag Hitler in the process!

Bunty Girl

Post by Bunty Girl »

I remember this story, I don't recall the the title but it was definitely in Bunty in the mid 1960s. Hope this helps.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Bunty Girl wrote:I remember this story, I don't recall the the title but it was definitely in Bunty in the mid 1960s. Hope this helps.
Thank you. It does help.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Bunty Girl wrote:I remember this story, I don't recall the the title but it was definitely in Bunty in the mid 1960s. Hope this helps.
Well unfortunately it doesn't help, Bunty Girl, because your recollection is flawed. As part of my research in preparation for my next book, I have spent a lot of time recently with BUNTY. I don't have many gaps in my collection, and none in the 60s and 70s of more than three consecutive issues, so consequently I know that no serial can be completely hidden from me. To be fair to you, I have today checked the content of all my issues of BUNTY from the beginning of 1959 to the end of 1977, because that more than fully covers your 'mid 1960s' time frame which you feel certain contains a story about a girl who 'is kidnapped, forced into military training, and has her head shaved'. I can assure you that there is no such serial there. Could you please reflect further on where else you could have read it?

P.S. I have decided after some mature reflection over several days, that writing BUNTY AND HER SISTERS and posting on ComicsUK are not mutually exclusive, so I am withdrawing my stated decision not to post here for six months. I know I wouldn't be able to stick to it anyway, and although I am certainly very tired, I no longer believe that a complete break is an absolute necessity. It might actually do more harm than good. I will be watchful though, and I am very grateful for the kind thoughts and good wishes that I have received.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Well unfortunately it doesn't help, Bunty Girl, because your recollection is flawed. As part of my research in preparation for my next book, I have spent a lot of time recently with BUNTY. I don't have many gaps in my collection, and none in the 60s and 70s of more than three consecutive issues, so consequently I know that no serial can be completely hidden from me. To be fair to you, I have today checked the content of all my issues of BUNTY from the beginning of 1959 to the end of 1977, because that more than fully covers your 'mid 1960s' time frame which you feel certain contains a story about a girl who 'is kidnapped, forced into military training, and has her head shaved'. I can assure you that there is no such serial there. Could you please reflect further on where else you could have read it?

P.S. I have decided after some mature reflection over several days, that writing BUNTY AND HER SISTERS and posting on ComicsUK are not mutually exclusive, so I am withdrawing my stated decision not to post here for six months. I know I wouldn't be able to stick to it anyway, and although I am certainly very tired, I no longer believe that a complete break is an absolute necessity. It might actually do more harm than good. I will be watchful though, and I am very grateful for the kind thoughts and good wishes that I have received.
In that case, the story may not be in any of the DCT titles at all. I'm pretty sure you would remember a story like that if you came across it in your Bunty and Her Sisters research. And it sounds a bit strong for June and School Friend. It isn't Tammy or Jinty. So what's left? Sandie?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:In that case, the story may not be in any of the DCT titles at all. I'm pretty sure you would remember a story like that if you came across it in your Bunty and Her Sisters research.
It may not, of course, but to be fair, my research is ongoing so it is perfectly possible that I haven't yet picked up on it. As far as ''What's left? is concerned, don't forget that DCT had launched DIANA in February 1963, so that story paper is another possible source.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Could it have been the Legion of Super Slaves from Sally? I think it's from the right period.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

"Dara into Danger" from Tammy was another story about girls being kidnapped for a private army, this time in the Arctic. June had "Annie's Army", but that was a lightweight Dad's Army sort of thing, with no kidnapping involved. I don't think either one is the story in question.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Could it have been the Legion of Super Slaves from Sally? I think it's from the right period.
I only have 19 issues of SALLY, bought many years ago from a book fair at Pudsey or Haydock Park, probably out of curiosity just because they were there. Only one contains an instalment of Legion Of Super Slaves, that being the issue for 4 October 1969.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I've made the suggestion of Legion of Super Slaves, so have to wait and see if that is right.In the meantime as the other title Cassie remembers reading was June and Schoolfriend I've had a look through the ones I own from late 60s but I only have a couple and doesn't appear in those issues (11 Dec 1965, 10 Feb 1968, 24 Feb 1968, 8 Feb 1960, 25 Oct 1969)