What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Well today went rather well with picking up 5 Bunty annuals (4 are pre-decimal), 3 Diana annuals (1 pre-decimal), 4 Girls' Crystals (1950s), 3 School Friends (1950s) and another 7 random humour, nursery and adventure. Oh and the 1955 Black Bob annual in near mint condition. I thought that it was quite a good deal.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Today was a bit of a gold standard day as I received issues 3,4 and 5 of Diana and my commission from Mike Dorey. And yes, it is a bit on the awesome side.

SID

Post by SID »

Hi, Col.

Any chance you could upload a photo of your artwork you purchased? I like Mike Dorey's work (and if I'm not mistaken: your avatar is a Mike Dorey art of Bill Savage (Invasion)).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:Hi, Col.

Any chance you could upload a photo of your artwork you purchased? I like Mike Dorey's work (and if I'm not mistaken: your avatar is a Mike Dorey art of Bill Savage (Invasion)).
I think I could manage that Sid...

I also took delivery of another 33 Commandos to bring me under the 250 to go mark.
Dorey Commission Reduced.jpg

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i Bought my 1st ever marvel omnibus books tomb of Dracula vol 1 and Conan vol 1 i wish i never as i now want to collect the other omnibus books lol

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Bri - I bought one Essentials volume and when that took over I didn’t dare go any closer to another format!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Shiner i started the essential books a few years ago then they replaced those with more than double the price epic collection so i couldn't finish those.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks to Tony Ingram of this parish, I have another batch of Picture Libraries heading in this direction. As Tony has been a master of the deal, I am now going to have at least one sub-100 Commando double and fill at least one more gap in the first 100.

The photos he has taken have been more than enough to make me go "Oooo!"

I also ask that a fifth Lucky Charm be taken into consideration ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bought earlier today, this weeks Beano.

Now for the 4000th issue later on this year.

Also bought on Monday, a 1965 flyer for No. 1 of Sparky.

I hope to include this in a future updated post on my blog.

SID

Post by SID »

colcool007 wrote:
SID wrote:Hi, Col.

I think I could manage that Sid...
Dorey Commission Reduced.jpg
Thanks, Col.

It's brilliant artwork. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote: Thanks, Col.

It's brilliant artwork. :D
I am not going to argue with you on that point! :D

At Capital Sci Fi Con, the pickings were very slim but I picked up a couple of annuals as a birthday pressie and a lovely piece by Nick Brokenshire.
HP Brokenshire 2019.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I've bought quite a few since my last post on this section but today, as mentioned on another thread, the very nice Postie delivered a bound volume of the complete run of 19 comics of The Glasgow Looking Glass which became the Northern Looking Glass and includes the two "New Series" editions produced later in 1826. Their condition is remarkable.

Arguably the first comic ever as it was the first to use speech balloons and the phrase "continued next issue" apparently. Malcom Phillips wasn't sure if there were any issues in private hands still but the seller has had the set in her family since her Grandfather bought them some one hundred years ago. She also sent me a couple of newspaper articles from 100 years ago discussing the comics! I haven't read the articles in detail yet but I'm really looking forward to them as much as the Looking Glass itself.

193 years old........I'm very very happy with my purchase and my profound thanks go to Forum member Hawkeye who pointed me towards them.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
193 years old........I'm very very happy with my purchase and my profound thanks go to Forum member Hawkeye who pointed me towards them.

Blushes modestly

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:I've bought quite a few since my last post on this section but today, as mentioned on another thread, the very nice Postie delivered a bound volume of the complete run of 19 comics of The Glasgow Looking Glass which became the Northern Looking Glass and includes the two "New Series" editions produced later in 1826. Their condition is remarkable.

Arguably the first comic ever as it was the first to use speech balloons and the phrase "continued next issue" apparently. Malcom Phillips wasn't sure if there were any issues in private hands still but the seller has had the set in her family since her Grandfather bought them some one hundred years ago. She also sent me a couple of newspaper articles from 100 years ago discussing the comics! I haven't read the articles in detail yet but I'm really looking forward to them as much as the Looking Glass itself.

I should have posted earlier but the first reaction was to get on the phone to Mr Eterno and to chew his ear off on how, who, where, when and what.

To put this purchase into perspective, this is one of only six, make that now seven sets known to exist.

John McShane is quite excited about it especially about the Glasgow Herald article as he has not seen that before or more accurately, he can't remember seeing it before!

Folks, this is truly historic. This is like finding the original art and scripts for the six missing Actions or the original art and script for the other Action comic featuring a certain spandex clad gentleman. You're a jammy sod, but well done that man for not only finding them but putting your hand in your pocket to make sure they have gone to a good home. Now while Adam pores over his latest precious, I am off to do a condition check on the latest additions to my picture libraries collections!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:This is like finding the original art and scripts for the six missing Actions
I wasn't aware that there were any issues of ACTION missing. What numbers and/or dates are they, please, Col?