Does your partner have any interest in your comics?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Does your partner have any interest in your comics?

Post by Hawkeye »

Had a day out in Hexham today with my wife, I looked round the charity shops and bookshops while she looked at whatever she looked at. I found a lovely old Judy annual from 1881 (similar to Punch), which had some Ally Sloper content.

When we met up again she asked what I had been buying as my book was wrapped in a carrier bag, so she couldn't see exactly what it was. 'Its an old book' I said, 'which has a few pictures in it of a famous comic character who went on to have his own comic with "Half Holiday" in the title'...........'Ah', she replied, 'I know, its Alf Tupper isn't it!'.

:roll:

Adam Eterno

Re: Does your partner have any interest in your comics?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:Had a day out in Hexham today with my wife, I looked round the charity shops and bookshops while she looked at whatever she looked at. I found a lovely old Judy annual from 1881 (similar to Punch), which had some Ally Sloper content.

When we met up again she asked what I had been buying as my book was wrapped in a carrier bag, so she couldn't see exactly what it was. 'Its an old book' I said, 'which has a few pictures in it of a famous comic character who went on to have his own comic with "Half Holiday" in the title'...........'Ah', she replied, 'I know, its Alf Tupper isn't it!'.

:roll:
:lol: My other half wouldn’t even know who Alf Tupper was!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

[/quote]

:lol: My other half wouldn’t even know who Alf Tupper was![/quote]

Ah well, I must be winning her over to my way of thinking. I'll try to get her saving up to buy me Oor Wullie #1 for Christmas. I've always wanted that one.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hawkeye wrote:My other half wouldn’t even know who Alf Tupper was!
You could try telling her that he invented Tupperware.

Fleet Captain Roak

Post by Fleet Captain Roak »

Barring a few Batman & Spiderman comics & one specific Dandy Annual , very little . But then she was only born in 1990 ...
Commander of Imperial Battlecruiser Vanguard , currently assigned Segmentum Solar .

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

my GF don't mind seeing 1000's comics ,annuals and graphic novels in my flat and she loves the marvel films but this morning in costa did bemoan the fact i spend £100 on the marvel omnibus books i've just started collecting,i didn't think she knew how much they cost :lol: :lol:

abacus

Post by abacus »

I Wonder why it is whenever I discover a great comic shop on holiday I am always pushed for time or the wife is impatient to move on?.
When I was in cardiff I spotted a comic shop around the corner from the cafe where we had stopped for refreshments, she is always slow finishing her tea so I told her that I would be back in a few minutes and nipped out to buy comics.
I've found comic shops in Norwich ,Rhyl, Ryde and book shops in Exeter where I would have loved to spend an hour or so but have either had family or relatives with me or the holiday excursion didn't allow much time.
Ten minutes spent in a comic shop counts as an hour and a half to the wife. :D

Earl

Post by Earl »

My wife is not a comics person but does like the films - sometimes more than I do, she is a sci-fi fan of the old school through (Forbidden Planet, Fantastic Voyage, Blake's 7 - that sort of thing) and used to be a sci-fi trading card collector back in the 80's and 90's so when we used to go to fairs back in the day I would be looking for comics and children's books and she would be looking for trading cards. My son was also a trading cards fan at one stage which was nice as we all shared the interest to some degree.

Earl

SID

Post by SID »

To answer your question: No.

However, she does try, bless her.

If we are up in Newcastle and I pop into Forbidden Planet; she follows me around and helpfully points out suggestions to me (normally I either already got it or am not interested). Eventually though, she gets bored and finds somewhere to sit.

In one shop, she sat down next to some gamers and didn't have a clue what was going on.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:In one shop, she sat down next to some gamers and didn't have a clue what was going on.
To be fair, that covers most of us! :lol:

However, on topic, Kare is as big a fan as I am and heaven forbid, I get sketches that are not dedicated to both of us!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Kare is as big a fan as I am
I doubt whether Mrs Valeera will take too kindly, Col, to being edited out of your life one letter at a time. :shock:

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

No complaints at my end of things regarding my partner’s interests in my comics: I can have sensible conversations with him about them, while still being the acknowledged expert in the house :) And on the subject of finding comics while out and about, I just got a copy of the Sandie 1975 annual while on holiday in Caernarfon. It was in a posh arty shop with handcrafted knicknacks and semi-antique tiny colourful sherry glasses and so on. I suspect the shop owner was expecting it to be bought more for house decoration than for reading.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

Comics get the evil eye in my house from my wife, she has no interest in my collection and just about tolerant to my overflowing collection on a good day, still that’s the price she has to pay for being married to a stud muffin :lol: well that’s what I tell her.

SID

Post by SID »

:offtopic1:
Talking about the missus, I made a slight boob the other day:

Before I met the missus, I had a dog. He is now getting on and there will come the sad day when he goes.

Anyway, we were talking about whether or not we would ever get another dog. My missus doesn't want one and trying to be agreeable, I stupidly said: "I don't need another dog - I have you."

Her reply: "Oh great. I am a replacement for a dog. " and walked away.

Better buy her some flowers. :|
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote::offtopic1:
Talking about the missus, I made a slight boob the other day:

Before I met the missus, I had a dog. He is now getting on and there will come the sad day when he goes.

Anyway, we were talking about whether or not we would ever get another dog. My missus doesn't want one and trying to be agreeable, I stupidly said: "I don't need another dog - I have you."

Her reply: "Oh great. I am a replacement for a dog. " and walked away.

Better buy her some flowers. :|
Choccies and wine work well too! Sorry, but I am laughing at that one. :lol: :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!