Weather or not...

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Weather or not...

Post by Kashgar »

I can't recall the last time I posted a new topic on comics uk or even if I am just resurrecting an old one under a different guise but as it's raining outside it's got me thinking about how much I have been fascinated over the years by comic strips featuring inclement weather, rain, snow, wind etc. A strip that featured some form of precipitation or stormy condition would always have me hooked regardless of any other merits it may, or may not, have had.
Give me a Dudley Watkins rainstorm, a Reg Parlett 'pea souper' or a Tom Bannister windy day and I'm hooked! How about the rest of you?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Weather or not...

Post by colcool007 »

I give you Pete Sutherland's work on Alf Tupper with W H Oami for the fog or Ted Rawlings for his blizzard scenes in The Swordmaker.

Or or... oh I think I had better stop before I go through all of them!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Robbie Moubert wrote:There was this thread back in 2012...
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4764
Yes, and following it up allowed me to make momentary contact with many frequent and knowledgeable posters from the past, such as Raven, Peter Gray, Jonny Whizz, who I think was a schoolboy in Liverpool, felneymike, ISPYSHHHGUY, matrix, who had a serious interest in motorbikes, alanultron 5, Digifiend from Hull, and Niblet. Where on Earth are they all now? Some, of course, may look in without signing in. I haven't checked whether any have signed in but have not then gone on to post. Either way they were members to be respected.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
Robbie Moubert wrote:There was this thread back in 2012...
http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4764
Yes, and following it up allowed me to make momentary contact with many frequent and knowledgeable posters from the past, such as Raven, Peter Gray, Jonny Whizz, who I think was a schoolboy in Liverpool, felneymike, ISPYSHHHGUY, matrix, who had a serious interest in motorbikes, alanultron 5, Digifiend from Hull, and Niblet. Where on Earth are they all now? Some, of course, may look in without signing in. I haven't checked whether any have signed in but have not then gone on to post. Either way they were members to be respected.
I think Digifiend still posts here and I've seen him on other forums,such as the striker one I have wondered what happened to Alan who kindly sent me doubles of Jet he had And of course he done that great Sparky project which got me collecting SPARKY which coincidentally I only need 335 issues which will take forever as my main mission is trying to finish Buster and Whizzer & Chips.Some of those posters though is no great loss to the forum as I'm sure they were trolls trying to provoke a reaction from you Derek and the other knowledgeable contributors such as Lew Stringer.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Back on topic i love snow scenes in comics and always loved the christmas issues of all comics i collected and still collect.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I love snow, in comics and real life. I've never forgotten a Baby Crockett story I read decades ago where he opens the front door and the snow is up to the top of it so he tunnels out through it.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Alan Ultron bought a Sparky from me last week on eBay and I meant to ask him why he no longer posts on comics UK.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Looking back at that old thread and the question of which Victor strip featured those frozen landscapes that Col mentioned I think it may have been 'The Fear from Farthest Space' which was drawn, as he remembers, by Alan Philpott.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

stevezodiac wrote:I love snow, in comics and real life. I've never forgotten a Baby Crockett story I read decades ago where he opens the front door and the snow is up to the top of it so he tunnels out through it.
I love strips that feature snow deep enough to tunnel through. Two that spring to mind are the Desperate Dan Xmas strip for 1958 and a Lord Snooty strip from Jan 1967 in which Snooty and his pals are given a day off school because of the snow only to then go out and dig a tunnel through it which then, inadvertently, takes them to the door of the schoolhouse much to the delight of their teacher who is so happy to see her, ever so 'eager', pupils.
Deep snow and Dudley Watkins who could ask for more!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I liked how London always tended to get the worst of it in strips like 'The Great Flood Of London' as I reckoned it served them right for all those national broadcasters who used to talk as though the weather in the South East corner of England was all that really mattered, and that nobody cared about the climate north of Watford! :)