"A pony tale" in Suzy

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Hippo

"A pony tale" in Suzy

Post by Hippo »

I've noticed for some time that there's very little overlap between the world of girls' comics and that of pony books, and I have no idea why that is... At any rate, I can't find any other discussions on the board about pony comics!

But all the same, I'm hoping someone here might have access to A pony tale which ran in Suzy in 1986. http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2013/09/a-pony-tale/
This series profiled various British ponies, with each instalment telling the story of one individual from each breed.

Specifically I'm hoping someone might have scans of four of the episodes: Heather (#183), Nipper (#185), Penny (#190), and Snowy (#191)?
The rest ran in the Norwegian pony comic Penny, but it seems they didn't bother to translate or print the entire series.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: "A pony tale" in Suzy

Post by colcool007 »

Congratulations on your first post. And it's an interesting question to ask as pony comics are not something I am very knowledgeable about. Would you like to give us some more information on them?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have issue 190 of SUZY, which contains the story of 'Patient Penny'. If you PM me your full name and address, I will scan the three pages and get them off to you in the post. I am unwilling to attempt the process of uploading them to ComicsUK because I have forgotten how to do so, and I am far too busy to relearn the method.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Derek, Email the scans to me, al@comicsuk.co.uk, and I'll upload them to the forum.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

You see, there's another problem, Al. I can't even remember how to do that. I have a friend here who lives and works locally, and who is a computer expert. I'll ring him later and ask him to come over tomorrow morning if he can. There is no point asking him to come today because I'm spending most of the rest of the day with my granddaughter Lois at her house playing board games and card games. It might sound a bit odd, and even disappointing, but I have reached a point in my life where online forums are a lot less important to me than they used to be. I am busy preparing two books, as I have mentioned previously, so a major portion of my focus is on them. Most of the rest of it is family-orientated. Friday evenings in the Copperhouse with my son Russell and the children are so much fun and so relaxing. Perhaps I should take them down there every evening!!!!!

P.S. Why have you changed the backgroung colour of your forum to this drab brown? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original. Can you possibly look on this as an experiment that has failed in its aim, and go back to the tried and tested? Please.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Derek,
P.S. Why have you changed the backgroung colour of your forum to this drab brown? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original. Can you possibly look on this as an experiment that has failed in its aim, and go back to the tried and tested? Please.
No.

I explained in a separate topic why I HAD to change the forum a few days ago, here (https://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7836). You may not have seen it if, as you say, forums are not as important to you as they used to be. However, the reason for the style change was very clearly explained in that topic. It also displayed alternative styles for you to choose from.

So, when you get time to read that referred-to topic, you will conclude that there absolutely was something wrong with the original. Members could no longer make a post, which is quite important to a Forum. Basically, the very outdated software was no longer supported by my hosting company. It's as simple as that. It was impossible to post.

As for not knowing how to attach a file to an email, have you tried using a search engine to browse the internet for assistance? There must be an abundance of 'how-to' guides out there to help you.

If you don't like the brown style, there are 5 other styles to choose from. As I've stated on a post in that above referred-to topic, which you may also not have read because of the reasons that you've stated, two of those new styles look similar to two of the more popular styles from the previous version of the forum.

However, to save you rummaging through that topic, I'll repeat the style-change process here.
  • Click on your name towards the top right of this screen
  • User Control Panel
  • Click on the Board preference tab
  • Edit Global setting (default)
  • Locate the My board style drop down list
  • Make your selection and press the Submit button
I could also detail the process on how to upload attachments to this forum. It's never too late to learn new skills.

If you fathom out for yourself how to attach documents to an email, or you get your computer expert friend to assist you, I will gladly upload those pages to the forum on your behalf. That way, other members will also get to see those pages that new member Hippo was looking for.

Al

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Sorry about the delay in replying, Al, but believe it or not, we had a power cut here today which lasted several hours, the power only being restored at about half six. Anybody would think it was wartime again. My computer friend did arrive as expected, but under the circumstances there was nothing he could do, so he didn't even come in. He will be back tomorrow morning, at which point I will direct him towards my problem areas. I'll get back to you at some point tomorrow.

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Hippo,
Derek (aka Phoenix) has emailed me those 3 Patient Penny scans from the Suzy comic, and here they are:

Patient Penny - Page 01
Patient Penny - Page 01
Patient Penny - Page 02
Patient Penny - Page 02
Patient Penny - Page 03
Patient Penny - Page 03

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Tammy had a run of pony tales in the 1980s too. A few did discuss breeds, such as the now-extinct Tarpan, but most were complete stories about a particular pony.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Al wrote: Derek (aka Phoenix) has emailed me those 3 Patient Penny scans from the Suzy comic
I can't take any credit whatsoever, Al, for emailing the scans to you. My only input was to make Stephen, the computer expert, a cup of coffee while he scanned the three pages, and then uploaded them to you. I still haven't figured out why I couldn't remember how to do so, given that I didn't have any problems scanning, resizing, and then positioning all the scans that added the visual element to my FREE GIFTS IN THE BIG FIVE (2005), and to THIS WAS THE WIZARD (2014). I must have lost a shedload of brain cells since then, without ever being aware of it. Hopefully there are enough left for remembering how to get my next two books printed. Incidentally, on that topic, I am very seriously considering putting BUNTY AND HER SISTERS and ADVENTURE AND HIS BROTHERS into just the one book, although there is a very slight possibility that I could divide the book into two sections. Its title in either case would be FROM ADVENTURE TO BUNTY : THE GREAT STORIES, the reasoning behind the title being that ADVENTURE was the first story paper from DCT in 1921,and BUNTY was the last one to turn up its toes with issue 2249 (February 17 2001). Nigh on eighty years of pleasure created for so many children, and I very much doubt whether DCT had a clue at the time just how successful their new initiative would be. All we can do is just thank them.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

As I mentioned a week or two ago I recently picked up four issues of My Horse comic. A full colour American comic sized comic featuring European reprints translated into English. It ran for about six or eight issues. See Grand Comics Database for the cover scans I submitted. Not ponies exactly but all the stories are about young/teenage girls with horses.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Al wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 05:00
Hippo,
Derek (aka Phoenix) has emailed me those 3 Patient Penny scans from the Suzy comic, and here they are:

Page 1.jpg

Page 2.jpg

Page 3.jpg
The art on those is by Terry Aspin, by the way.
https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... rry-aspin/
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.